Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
regnaleb
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
regnaleb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need help! sr20det wont SPARK

Need help! sr20det wont spark
Okay its been two days of trying everything i can and i cant find the issue of this matter... so now i turn to the forums

SO, i want to start of by saying this is my first swap with little mechanical knowledge so ill need all the patience i can get.

This is a s13 sr20det swap into s13

I am 100% sure I am getting NO spark on all four coils, im getting fuel and the engine cranks!

Note: Upon finishing the swap i strapped in my battery last, it was a long day and i was not thinking and connected the terminals backwards and blew up my alt fuse (thats all i noticed at first). As soon as i connected it wrong the alt fuse blows up and i immediately disconnect the battery. So it was hooked up wrong for maybe 4 seconds and also note i did NOT try and start the car like that.

I also replaced my ignitor chip because i later found out i had fried that too and replaced my ecu with another 62. I was not sure if i fried my E5 ecu but i decided to replace it anyways just in case! Also replaced the egi relays.

I tried doing the ecu self test but i cant get the damn light to blink anything, I turn the car to the on position, turn the dial clockwise and wait a couple seconds, turn it back counter clockwise and nothing happens. The light even stays on after the keys are out of the ignition (dont know if thats normal or not).

Questions: Possible i could have fried ALL coilpacks at the same time?
Maybe im not doing the ecu self test correctly?

I really appreciate any help you throw at me. thanks ladies and gents!!
regnaleb is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
regnaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Road2Perfection
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Road2Perfection is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnaleb View Post
Need help! sr20det wont spark
Okay its been two days of trying everything i can and i cant find the issue of this matter... so now i turn to the forums

SO, i want to start of by saying this is my first swap with little mechanical knowledge so ill need all the patience i can get.

This is a s13 sr20det swap into s13

I am 100% sure I am getting NO spark on all four coils, im getting fuel and the engine cranks!

Note: Upon finishing the swap i strapped in my battery last, it was a long day and i was not thinking and connected the terminals backwards and blew up my alt fuse (thats all i noticed at first). As soon as i connected it wrong the alt fuse blows up and i immediately disconnect the battery. So it was hooked up wrong for maybe 4 seconds and also note i did NOT try and start the car like that.

I also replaced my ignitor chip because i later found out i had fried that too and replaced my ecu with another 62. I was not sure if i fried my E5 ecu but i decided to replace it anyways just in case! Also replaced the egi relays.

I tried doing the ecu self test but i cant get the damn light to blink anything, I turn the car to the on position, turn the dial clockwise and wait a couple seconds, turn it back counter clockwise and nothing happens. The light even stays on after the keys are out of the ignition (dont know if thats normal or not).

Questions: Possible i could have fried ALL coilpacks at the same time?
Maybe im not doing the ecu self test correctly?

I really appreciate any help you throw at me. thanks ladies and gents!!
regnaleb is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Test light or multimeter from + IGN to any ground.
Recheck your ground.
You MUST ground the coilpack harness.
You MUST run ground to inlet manifold if you use stock ground wire.

These Nissan wiring harnesses are really really designed to have a crap ton of ground hooked up!
Check it a multimeter is not a indicator that it's correct, but it will show if the 12V is down or up
I had one loose bolt on the inlet manifold ground and I got missfires over 6K rpm..
Old 09-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Vegass13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Vegass13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
like he said ^^ start off by seeing if you even getting power to the coil packs, if you are then worry about the coils themselves...
im not really sure how putting the terminals on wrong would effect anything electrical on the motor besides maybe the starter and alt
Vegass13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
regnaleb
Leaky Injector

Okay so i just checked and i am getting power to the coils but none of them are working, is this even possible? this is a brand new swap and i know for sure they were working before. I cant believe i fried all of them. Can there be another reason? not enough power to them maybe? I dont know how much power is going through them exactly cause i dont really know how to use the multimeter properly, but some sort of energy is going through the harness itself.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Road2Perfection
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Road2Perfection is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey, does it got auto range, or more dials than this?
If same, set to dc, if not one straight line and dotted selected with 20volt range.
Measure at chassis on the black, and power on red, signal is too fast to measure with multimeter, but it's most likely power source or ground issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1412194170432.jpg (412.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
regnaleb
Leaky Injector

its a multimeter with a bunch of different settings and ranges, i put it on i think dc and "200m" whatever that means. and i got a reading! so i concluded the coilpack harness works. The ground for the cp harness is attached to the back of the valve cover. What else can be the issue? Most likely power source eh?

noob question: could fuel pressure be a cause? or am i completely off? just curious..

Last edited by regnaleb; 10-01-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Old 10-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Have you tried a different ecu ?
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
regnaleb
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Have you tried a different ecu ?
yes i have, sir
Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
Vegass13
Zilvia Member

well you can check ohms resistance on the coil pack but I'm not sure how and also Im pretty sure you can disconnect the plug to the tha packs and test for constant 12v by setting to dc 12v on multimeter and putting black probe to the prong for te black wire and red probe on prong for red wire...also check the signal by putting the red probe on the 3rd wire and have someone crank the car..
Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Vegass13
Zilvia Member

I'd have to look this all up when i get home but I'm pretty sure that's what 3 wires for each pack are for; signal, 12v, and ground ...look up how to check resistance on packs to see if the packs are dead