Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Ptrain
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Ptrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gap in between subframe and body at bushing

Recently I've been getting some weird steering feel. I tried replacing the tie rods and I tried to check the bushings in the front suspension but nothing looked bad.

Went to the back of the car and I noticed that the subframe moved a lot when I had the car up on jack stands and tried jacking it up from the diff. There's about a 1/2in gap in between the front subframe bushings and the body when the car is supported by jack stands. Is this normal? It's a stock s14.

I tried to take a picture but it was tough to get a good angle. The gap i'm talking about is in the center of the picture in the back.
Ptrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
corby_baby
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
corby_baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
time for new bushings!

http://www.partsshopmax.com/page.php?40
corby_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Yeah it's normal because pretty much every s14 has torn subframe bushings by now...

You should replace them.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Ptrain
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the info guys. Got some bushings on order.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Ptrain
Leaky Injector

Replaced the subframe bushings but I still the same problem with my steering. I've been really paying attention to the feel of the car when it starts to get squirley. From what I can tell when I make moderate left hand turns (mostly on the highway) the car will suddenly dive into the turn harder without any extra steering input. To me that says I'm getting sudden toe in on the front passenger wheel or toe out in the rear passenger wheel.

If it's a problem with the front then maybe my ball joint or control arm bushings are bad? That would shorten the control arm length while keeping the tie rod in the same spot increasing toe in. If it's the rear then maybe the bushings in the furthest aft control arm (the one that deals with toe) could be bad, and assuming it's in compression that will give toe out under load.

Any ideas? I'd ideally like to be able to pinpoint the problem and fix whatever's wrong instead of randomly replacing suspension components hoping to stumble upon the fix.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Just replace the front end bushings (tension rods, flca, steering rack), tie rod ends all at one time won't cost much go with energy suspension and then get some lifetime warranty rod ends from autozone if you want to save a buck. Excuse my grammar it's late.

These cars suck and they're old, most of the bushings will need go be replaced 10 years ago.
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
nuyucaides

Trader Rating: (0)
nuyucaides is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To me that says I'm getting sudden toe in on the front passenger wheel or toe out in the rear passenger wheel.
nuyucaides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
if your subframe bushings are that worn, you will most likely need to consider replacing all of the bushings on the car.

tension rod liquid filled bushings are probably totally shot, LCA bushings are probably shot, steering rack bushings might be worn, letting the rack shift side to side *slightly) and there are so many bushings on the rear that can be worn, you'd think there would be one or two other bad ones in all the arms.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
baube
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
baube is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Verify the steering column brushing also
baube is offline   Reply With Quote