Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Has your crank pulley ever fallen off?

So as you can probably tell from the title of the thread I'm dumb. And apparently I forgot to tighten down the crank pulley bolt enough a couple years ago when I hastily built a motor and swapped a blown one out in one weekend. The car was idling on the turbo timer when I heard a weird noise, thought it was the neighbors RC car and then the car shut off ten seconds later like it should. Fired it back up a couple minutes later to go around the block and didn't have power steering. Drove for maybe 30 seconds before I got out to look what was wrong and found the crank pulley sitting there crooked and not turning.

Car shut off. I put it back on real tight without the key, drove around the block again to make sure it wasn't gonna explode and parked it back in my garage. I guess my question is has anyone else ever been this dumb and gotten away with it? I wanna just stick a new key and pulley back on it and call it a day but I'm scared that the snout is trash. Advice, comments, tips? I'd really hate to have to rebuild a motor over something this stupid. Not to mention its literally THE WORST PART OF THE MOTOR THAT COULD BE FUCKED, and in the shittiest way possible...
Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New key, new pulley, new front seal, torque the crank bolt and call it done. Is the crank scratched to hell or the keyway jacked?
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
ZaK687
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ZaK687 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I've had my pulley fracture right by the key and it fucked my oil pump. Managed to save it tho
ZaK687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #4
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
New key, new pulley, new front seal, torque the crank bolt and call it done. Is the crank scratched to hell or the keyway jacked?
The keyway is kinda morphed as you can see and the snout is pretty scratched up, it ate the woodruff key. When I found out the bolt had come loose and checked the motor was spinning but the pulley wasn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaK687 View Post
I've had my pulley fracture right by the key and it fucked my oil pump. Managed to save it tho
As far as I know the pump is good, the car had normal oil pressure when I pulled it into the garage.

Pulled the oil cooler off and in the process of pulling the lower pan to clean everything since I'm pretty sure the key disintegrated and made it's way into the oil. Had to stop for the night because I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me bashing the lower pan off with a hammer at 11 PM.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch. Had to ask since I'm blind as fuck and couldn't see enough detail on my phone.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #6
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Sad thing, however, when I read "thought it was the neighbors r/c car" I laughed. Clean coupe, good luck on the issue though.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I once shoved my pulley on, smashed the key into the pump damaging it...replaced pump, key and the then cracked pulley and it was good...look at all your stuff to make sure is within specs still
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Well I dropped the lower pan and oil cooler and cleaned both out best I could with acetone in case shavings of the crank snout and key made their way into the oil. Cars all back together now, just waiting to find another crank pulley.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
This makes me want to check my crank pulley now.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruked View Post
Someone asked me to check the torque on their crank pulley today. Did 110ftlb check.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruked View Post
you should definitely check your crank pulley now lol
Old 06-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
I've always, (only had to do it 3x since 2006) used an impact. I've never had a problem. I could not find a reasonable way of locking the motor in order to tighten per torque wrench. To be honest, I never researched how to do it a feasible way.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

I normally put the motor together then tighten the pulley down when the motor is in the car with the ebrake up and trans in gear. Thinking back to when I built this motor though I don't remember doing that... Must have forgotten about it in my haste
Old 06-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
Bluejayde
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Bluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I brace the wrench against the ground and crank the engine. Snug as a bug in a rug.
Bluejayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #15
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejayde View Post
I brace the wrench against the ground and crank the engine. Snug as a bug in a rug.
the sr20 rotating clockwise when you crank, will cause the bolt to loosen. This is how I loosen the crank pulley bolt (set the ratchet handle on a block of wood and crank against it).

I would never crank to tighten, a starter is strong enough to bend a rod.