Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
How To: Half Manual / Half Power Window

Ok. This is THE guide to a simple modifcation that I like to do to my S13's. Half manual / half power window. I have always loved the ability to roll up the window, but hated to have to lean over to roll down the passenger side window. This is the solution.

Supplies needed:

Power window regulator.
Power window door panel.
Power window switch.
Power folding mirror switch.
2 bosch relays.
12ga wire.
18ga wire.
Soldering iron.
20A fuse.
30A fuse holder.
Electrical tape (or heat shrink).

I'll try to make this as simple as possible. First thing is first. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!

Make sure you have all the supplies you need to make solid electrical connections.

Here is the diagram we will be working with:

Thanks to zooopreme for the optimization.

Bosch Relay guide:

85 = ground switch signal
86 = constant 12V
87 = constant 12V
87a = ground
30 = to window regulator (up/down)

Here is the list of connections to make amongst the relays and both switches:

I will label the relay that controls the window up function as UP and window down function as DOWN.

[UP][87] ==> 12v
[UP][86] ==> 12V
[DOWN][87] ==> 12v
[DOWN][86] ==> 12v

Join all these wires together with a 12gauge wire. You will be running this directly up the firewall into the engine bay to the battery. You will join this wire to a fuse holder, which will be holding a 20A fuse. The other end of the fuse holder will be the connection to the battery. Do this as you see fit for your application.

[UP][87a] ==> Ground
[DOWN][87a] ==> Ground

Join these together with 12gauge wire and ground them onto the door somewhere.

[UP][85] ==> Green wire of pass. switch + black wire of console switch.

You will join the green wire from the passenger switch with the black wire of the power folding mirror switch together with 18gauge wire and then
join those two together to the UP relay's [85] position.

[DOWN][85] ==> Blue wire of pass. switch + blue w/ white stripe wire of console switch.

You will join the blue wire from the passenger switch with the blue w/white stripe wire of the power folding mirror switch together with 18gauge wire and then join those two together to the DOWN relay's [85] position.

You will shortly see how you need to route these wires from plain sight. Removing the glove box is a must!

[UP][30] ==> Green wire of regulator
[DOWN][30] ==> Blue wire of regulator

Now, if you don't have the pigtail for the power window regulator. You will need to figure out which wire does what based on polarity. I don't remember off hand. You can do this by directly applying power and ground to the regulator's plug but be careful not to touch them together!

The only other connections left to make are the actual ground sources for the switches. At this point you will need the center console off and the glove box as well.

For the power folding mirror switch, take the purple w/ white stripe wire and ground it somewhere to the chassis in the ebrake area. You will see a few locations to do this.
Choose one that suits your needs.

For the passenger side switch, take the white w/ black stripe wire and ground it to the passenger door somewhere.

Thats it! Before putting everything back together, plug the battery in and make sure both switches as well as the relays are functioning as they should.

Here are some pictures to go along with this process to better help...

As you can see, these are the connections for the pass. window switch pigtail.

This is the power folding mirror switch, only three wires are used. The rest are taped up and tucked away.

Here you can see the [87a] wires from both relays connected to a single ground wire which is grounded to the door.

Center console and glove box removed.

And the finished product...

I'm sure there will be plenty of questions so don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by KiLLeR2001; 12-18-2012 at 06:38 PM..
KiLLeR2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
That's cool I might just do this
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Finally, I've been meaning to ask you how you did this but you beat me to it.

Wish your diagram was better though lol.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This "mod" is stupid and your soldering is sloppy. Can't believe you're fucking up that two tone already.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i will be using the diagram to wire up the bosch relays to replace the stock one thats on my son`s coupe. thanks for sharing.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
This "mod" is stupid and your soldering is sloppy. Can't believe you're fucking up that two tone already.
All my soldering joints penetrated and are holding just fine. Thanks for your input. If you have nothing to ask me directly then you need not reply anymore.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Your Microsoft Paint diagram was killing me, lol. Didn't take me forever to make this, if you want it:

zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
didderson
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
didderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to didderson
You're weird, but that's a pretty slick way to add a power window for just 1 side. Weight savings?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Haha its less work to put power doors on both sides.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
shaggy sr
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
shaggy sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Ok. This is THE guide to a simple modifcation that I like to do to my S13's. Half manual / half power window. I have always loved the ability to roll up the window, but hated to have to lean over to roll down the passenger side window. This is the solution.

Supplies needed:

Power window regulator.
Power window door panel.
Power window switch.
Power folding mirror switch.
2 bosch relays.
12ga wire.
18ga wire.
Soldering iron.
20A fuse.
30A fuse holder.
Electrical tape.

I'll try to make this as simple as possible. First thing is first. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!

Make sure you have all the supplies you need to make solid electrical connections.

Here is the diagram we will be working with:

Bosch Relay guide:

85 = ground switch signal
86 = constant 12V
87 = constant 12V
87a = ground
30 = to window regulator (up/down)

Here is the list of connections to make amongst the relays and both switches:

I will label the relay that controls the window up function as UP and window down function as DOWN.

[UP][87] ==> 12v
[UP][86] ==> 12V
[DOWN][87] ==> 12v
[DOWN][86] ==> 12v

Join all these wires together with a 12gauge wire. You will be running this directly up the firewall into the engine bay to the battery. You will join this wire to a fuse holder, which will be holding a 20A fuse. The other end of the fuse holder will be the connection to the battery. Do this as you see fit for your application.

[UP][87a] ==> Ground
[DOWN][87a] ==> Ground

Join these together with 12gauge wire and ground them onto the door somewhere.

[UP][85] ==> Green wire of pass. switch + black wire of console switch.

You will join the green wire from the passenger switch with the black wire of the power folding mirror switch together with 18gauge wire and then
join those two together to the UP relay's [85] position.

[DOWN][85] ==> Blue wire of pass. switch + blue w/ white stripe wire of console switch.

You will join the blue wire from the passenger switch with the blue w/white stripe wire of the power folding mirror switch together with 18gauge wire and then join those two together to the DOWN relay's [85] position.

You will shortly see how you need to route these wires from plain sight. Removing the glove box is a must!

[UP][30] ==> Green wire of regulator
[DOWN][30] ==> Blue wire of regulator

Now, if you don't have the pigtail for the power window regulator. You will need to figure out which wire does what based on polarity. I don't remember off hand. You can do this by directly applying power and ground to the regulator's plug but be careful not to touch them together!

The only other connections left to make are the actual ground sources for the switches. At this point you will need the center console off and the glove box as well.

For the power folding mirror switch, take the purple w/ white stripe wire and ground it somewhere to the chassis in the ebrake area. You will see a few locations to do this.
Choose one that suits your needs.

For the passenger side switch, take the white w/ black stripe wire and ground it to the passenger door somewhere.

Thats it! Before putting everything back together, plug the battery in and make sure both switches as well as the relays are functioning as they should.

Here are some pictures to go along with this process to better help...

As you can see, these are the connections for the pass. window switch pigtail.

This is the power folding mirror switch, only three wires are used. The rest are taped up and tucked away.

Here you can see the [87a] wires from both relays connected to a single ground wire which is grounded to the door.

Center console and glove box removed.

And the finished product...

I'm sure there will be plenty of questions so don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks for reading!
great thread! i gotta do it and what abt rhd one?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
Your Microsoft Paint diagram was killing me, lol. Didn't take me forever to make this, if you want it:

[IMG]
lmao. Thanks, I'll use it.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Homeboyx
Zilvia Member

Homeboyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Why solder only to use electrical tape? Why not use heat shrink?
Homeboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboyx View Post
Why solder only to use electrical tape? Why not use heat shrink?
I have an abundance of electrical tape and no heat shrink. Everyone has their own way of doing electrical work. Do what you feel is the best method.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
This is some mickey mouse shit if ive ever seen it....
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I expected a cleaner install than this Stephen... Yes, everyone may have their way of doing things, but that doesn't mean it's the right way. Radio shack sells heat shrink for christs sake. Eh, I guess you're tag says it all.

KiLLeR2001
Not A Single Fuck Was Given
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I expected a cleaner install than this Stephen... Yes, everyone may have their way of doing things, but that doesn't mean it's the right way. Radio shack sells heat shrink for christs sake. Eh, I guess you're tag says it all.
Lol, it's Steven. I'm not about to turn this into an electrical tape vs heat shrink debate. If you want to use heat shrink, by all means please do.

Most people won't do something like this, as you can easily switch to all power. But for some this is a viable option. If this guide helps just one person I'd be content.

Thanks for the response!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Lol, it's Steven. I'm not about to turn this into an electrical tape vs heat shrink debate. If you want to use heat shrink, by all means please do.

Most people won't do something like this, as you can easily switch to all power. But for some this is a viable option. If this guide helps just one person I'd be content.

Thanks for the response!
My apologies on the name mispell. I'd prefer that it not be made into one either, I guess I just expected more from ya that's all.

It does help those that are lazy and can't lean over though, I'll give ya that...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
HPKMotorsports3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
HPKMotorsports3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
nice write up OP
HPKMotorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Killer, could you do a half power / half manual sunroof tutorial next? Thanks man, appreciate it!
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
You should 5 lug swap just the drivers side. It's the side you see most often anyway.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
Killer, could you do a half power / half manual sunroof tutorial next? Thanks man, appreciate it!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Sr20Bluebird
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
Sr20Bluebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
you should 5 lug swap just the drivers side. It's the side you see most often anyway.
rofl!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
Rpjohns3
Leaky Injector

Rpjohns3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I cannot believe someone had to bring up the two tone. In my eyes that person is just jealous.
Rpjohns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
You should 5 lug swap just the drivers side. It's the side you see most often anyway.
For a day I was only 5lug in the front.

I had been waiting for this since you posted in the interior thread

Thanks for once OP was not a F___
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #25
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
3yrs later I decided to finally do this. Here are some pictures to help out some of you do this mod.

First on 87a I didn't want to join the wires at the end since I think it looks ugly and adds unnecessary bulk. So I tapped into it mid way of one wire and soldered it. I think it's much better

This comes in handy much better when joining 86 & 87 of both relays. Soldered it at different lengths (staggered) for less bulk.

For the regulator I decided to keep the pigtail for practicality and it will make changing the regulator in the future if it ever goes bad.

For the passenger switch I de-pinned the unused wires for a much cleaner look.

I don't like crimping connectors because I feel over time they can come loose.

First step was taking off that plastic thingy. Then fold the wires out like and umbrella and pull them back for more contact.

Then crimp and solder. Heat shrink to finish it.

Here is pretty much the end result of the relay harness. Still needed to tap into the passenger switch with wire that leads to the center console for the power window switch part.

Decided to mount the relays here where the manual window crank use to be at.

End result pretty much
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #26
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Good work, ghoti. 3 years later my power window still works just fine, no issues whatsoever.

In 2012 I was all about soldering + electrical tape, but these days I do everything with butt connectors and heat shrink.