Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
NateMR2

Trader Rating: (0)
NateMR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What standalone ecu do u recomend?!?!

A little about what i have now. Stock rb25det motor, intake manifold, exhaust manifold top mount w/gt35. Tial 38mm, aem fuel pressure, wide band, oil pressure, boost gauge. Apex safc, ls coil pack upgrade. Aem fuel regulator, fmic. Well i was talking with my friend that ownes a tuning shop and he told me not to get the power fc i was planning on buying "all apex stuff is 10 years behind" and get a haltech or aem. I want to know whats ur experiance im really not sure i can afford twice as much money for the aem if its not that much better than the pfc. I mean the cars technoligy is 23 years behind...

Last edited by NateMR2; 10-27-2016 at 08:57 AM..
NateMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
you can always get the data logger to go with it (Apexi PFC). some tuners over here at my location don't like it because they can't charge you for the base map tuning. many other variables.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
AEM Infinity. PowerFC is way over 10 years old now.

The gap between PowerFC and AEM Infinity capabilities is exponentially more than the price difference.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
NateMR2

I mean for a new car 2010 newer that would probably make a world of differance, but in my applacation im not looking for more than 650hp even after the build is done
Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Whatever you get, make sure you have someone reputable that can tune on it, or else its a big waste of money overall. Typically PFC is perfectly fine for SR setups and I know plenty running it and no issues. Just keep in mind though, used PFC can be bad or problematic, as is any used ECU.

I run an AEM Infinity, personally, I used to have an older Haltech, and an Enthalphy. The infinity plus a good tuner have been my saving grace for no major issues.

One negative about AEMs and SRs, if you drift, and plan to hit the limiter, AEM has a harsh limit that loves to throw/snap rockers. I've since switched to fuel cut instead of spark and its been good. PFC on the other hand limiter is great for SRs, same with Haltech.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Why wouldn't the Infinity on an older car make the same difference if the engine/chassis is properly equipped to support the capabilities of the ecu? There's nothing that a newer car can't do that I can't do with an Infinity setup on my 25 year old sr20. Flex fuel, traction control, a ton of other stuff, it's all possible.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
NateMR2

Forgot to meantion i have a rb25det i dont thinking they support yet
Old 10-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I have a Haltech Platinum Sport for my SR and think it's great. Expensive though. ECUMaster looks like a good bargain, I know of a guy making 500+whp in his JZX with one.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateMR2 View Post
Forgot to meantion i have a rb25det i dont thinking they support yet
Even the more reason to go AEM. I have a series 2 and still amazed at what you can do with it.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDyNomiTe View Post
One negative about AEMs and SRs, if you drift, and plan to hit the limiter, AEM has a harsh limit that loves to throw/snap rockers. I've since switched to fuel cut instead of spark and its been good. PFC on the other hand limiter is great for SRs, same with Haltech.
Why is that a negative, that you have the option to switch to a fuel cut?

I too have AEM v2 for SR. Set ignition cut 200 RPM higher than fuel cut = no rocker throwing

I picked up my AEM v2 second hand, for a very reasonable price. and I would do It again too.

AEM is not friendly to the first time user if you tune yourself, where a PFC is a bit more basic.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Does AEM not have rev limiter settings? Haltech has the choice of fuel or ignition cut with either hard or soft cut. It's a hard ignition cut that's rough on motors.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What happened to the built engine and endless budget?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #13
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Does AEM not have rev limiter settings? Haltech has the choice of fuel or ignition cut with either hard or soft cut. It's a hard ignition cut that's rough on motors.
AEM has that feature, soft, medium and hard cut. also can pick between fuel & Ignition cut (or both) for the rev limiter.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
NateMR2

I am having trouble find a aem stand alone for rb25
Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

That's what I thought, Juan. I'm not sure what the fellow above is complaining about then.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #16
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
For a simple setup Power FC always. I Dont know why people bash it so much it works its efficient, they even have D jetro option map sensor, iat, and if you get a maf ecu depending on how you wire the harness its plug and play with the exception of wiring in a iat map, again Djetro only.

Haltech plug and plays for rbs are not as good as people say they are especially for the price. AEM v1 is trash my tuner calls AEM EMS minus the new infinity Almost engine management....

track cars with aim dashs cool as switch panels data logging etc aem, haltech, motec, all the way, cars that are driven everyday that want to keep all the stock components and still have fun you cant beat power fc with the fc datalogit....

tell these tuners that run there cars hard that power fc is too old and not cutting it

feed rx7 still uses power fc granted the T04z was ditched for a GCG unit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ3Ms2JLh_4

"PFC cant handle high hp applications"

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/2...-18cm-monster/

RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #17
AJZax
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
AJZax is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This largely depends what you're doing with the car/powerplant.

AEM Infinity has had some glitch issues, I'm not sure if they've worked them out. I was steered away from some pro FD people and experienced crowd. Experienced tuners who have lots of hands on experience. I'm not going to name names as I don't want to throw companies under the bus. The AEM infinity is great on paper, and when it works it's great, it just has some glitches.

I Have ECUMasters EMU on my 2JZvvti
it's easy to interface
comprehensive layout
and it does everything aem infinity does
and it also allows blue tooth datalogging on your phone, tablet gauge cluster to kill any racepak application.
Flex fuel, antilag, etc etc, and constantly updating the software to improve it.
VE based tuning, other crap blablabla

We are using the EMU on SR20 car here, RB25 and a few 2jzs locally.

Flex fuel is a big reason, and also the cool tablet interface to get rid of a bunch of redundant gauges.

If you don't need flex fuel, and for 90% of people an RSEnthalpy ECU will serve all your needs out to even 700whp. believe it or not.

check out kevin lawrences old pro 2 car with rb25 making 700+whp on enthalpy ecu.

he later switched for some added features as they were getting more exotic on some stuff. but most people aren't running pro2.

I've strapped lots and lots of cars down to dynos and set up a bunch of cars.

Save your money and get an RS-Enthalpy ECU it's not a short cut by any means, and owner flies around the country dynotuning.

If flex fuel is a MUST, then it's standalone time, and imo the EMU is the best way to go. But that's my opinion.
people have their opinions as well. We all base our opinions on our experience, and knowledge on the subject, sharing mine, just take it for what it is.

Cheers mate!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #18
NateMR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJZax View Post
This largely depends what you're doing with the car/powerplant.

AEM Infinity has had some glitch issues, I'm not sure if they've worked them out. I was steered away from some pro FD people and experienced crowd. Experienced tuners who have lots of hands on experience. I'm not going to name names as I don't want to throw companies under the bus. The AEM infinity is great on paper, and when it works it's great, it just has some glitches.

I Have ECUMasters EMU on my 2JZvvti
it's easy to interface
comprehensive layout
and it does everything aem infinity does
and it also allows blue tooth datalogging on your phone, tablet gauge cluster to kill any racepak application.
Flex fuel, antilag, etc etc, and constantly updating the software to improve it.
VE based tuning, other crap blablabla

We are using the EMU on SR20 car here, RB25 and a few 2jzs locally.

Flex fuel is a big reason, and also the cool tablet interface to get rid of a bunch of redundant gauges.

If you don't need flex fuel, and for 90% of people an RSEnthalpy ECU will serve all your needs out to even 700whp. believe it or not.

check out kevin lawrences old pro 2 car with rb25 making 700+whp on enthalpy ecu.

he later switched for some added features as they were getting more exotic on some stuff. but most people aren't running pro2.

I've strapped lots and lots of cars down to dynos and set up a bunch of cars.

Save your money and get an RS-Enthalpy ECU it's not a short cut by any means, and owner flies around the country dynotuning.

If flex fuel is a MUST, then it's standalone time, and imo the EMU is the best way to go. But that's my opinion.
people have their opinions as well. We all base our opinions on our experience, and knowledge on the subject, sharing mine, just take it for what it is.

Cheers mate!
Just called and talked to rs that is really cool! Ill probably do that i was looking at 2100 with a ecu and tune and hes 500whp easy with my set up and 475 for ecu and tune
Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

You can run an AEM Infinity on an RB engine, I don't care that they don't advertise it on their site. If you've got any engine between 4 and 8 cylinders an Infinity 506 or 508 will run it.
All you have to do is properly wire it in.
I'm 99% sure if you called Wiring Specialties they could build you an RB25 Infinity harness, they just did one for my sr20 and it's "not an option" on their website..

My tuner is running his RB20 on an Infinity, first one to do it in the states. It performs flawlessly.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Why is that a negative, that you have the option to switch to a fuel cut?

I too have AEM v2 for SR. Set ignition cut 200 RPM higher than fuel cut = no rocker throwing

I picked up my AEM v2 second hand, for a very reasonable price. and I would do It again too.

AEM is not friendly to the first time user if you tune yourself, where a PFC is a bit more basic.
A negative based on your last statement I suppose.

After dealing with rocker issues I have since changed the limiter.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #21
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
AEM Infiniti systems are the beezwax they work well, I have no complaints on them. I don't understand the whole mentality of blowing $5,000+ on a turbo system then another $6,000+ on a long block and cheap out on the one part that can either make it all really awesome or burn it all to the ground.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #22
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
definitely haltech. ive used pfc link and haltech ecu, by far the haltech platinum sport is the best one ive used. theres enough features to maximize efficiency and power but it is user friendly enough (base setting and base mapping) that you can set it up to drive it to the tuner, or tune it yourself. the support from haltech is also top notch making it a good choice. megasquirt is also not to be under estimated for the price and features it offers.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #23
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
...the haltech platinum sport is the best one ive used. theres enough features to maximize efficiency and power but it is user friendly enough (base setting and base mapping) that you can set it up...megasquirt is also not to be under estimated for the price and features it offers.
I can definitely vouch for Haltech being user-friendly. Having zero experience with EMS, I just went through their provided documentation and had a good idea of what all the features did and how to set everything up. It even explains how to go about tuning the engine. Download the ECU Manager software (which includes the documentation) and see for yourselves! It's interesting, useful information that can be applied to any EMS.

My brother has MS on his turbo car and he was also able to figure it out himself and seems to work well. But the UI is very dated in my opinion: some people might care, others might not.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #24
NateMR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
What happened to the built engine and endless budget?
$5000 is far from an endless budget and this is all part of the build I need a stand alone... I didn't know what one to go with. but I do now. it will likely be a year before this car is done but I'm ordering things now.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #25
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Tyler_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
MS3 PRO....I've been using the DIY MSPNP2 for the SR, friend has the PNP for the KA, and both are running great...I wish I had spent a lil extra + time for the features...jus sayin' https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...lone-ecu-only/
Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #26
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I guess most people haven't heard of the Raspexi Monitor dash....

Full touch screen onto any size monitor in your car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXOucjBfUWY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
For a simple setup Power FC always. I Dont know why people bash it so much it works its efficient, they even have D jetro option map sensor, iat, and if you get a maf ecu depending on how you wire the harness its plug and play with the exception of wiring in a iat map, again Djetro only.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #27
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Is that a tuning solution or only a data display?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #28
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Well you need to run a datalogit with this display. So technically it logs the data and can run it back on the display. But that is an example of the output of a potential real time display solution for the powerfc.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #29
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nismotronics +Bluetooth + android tuner view is most cost effective for a nice gauge display
Old 11-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #30
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

AEM Infinity + CanBus + BTI Can gauge or any canbus display. Real time every parameter the ecu sees.

The Infinity ECU can basically tell you what to change to optimize the tune.