Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
IGSDann
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
IGSDann is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good AutoX Suspension?

Did Search, and got a general idea about what I want. I currently have Sportlines that I got for a real good price, but they blow stock shocks like nothing and they don't make the car handle any better. I didn't expect anything more from them, but anywho. From reading I also saw that Tein S-Techs are too soft, also another style spring.

So basiccly I'd like some testimonials for RS*R Down Springs for Autocross. Good setup? Anyone prefer them to Pro-Kits?. I'm going to get a new set of springs with Tokico HP's, good price and better than stock. AGX's are a bit too expensive for my budget.

Please don't tell me "Get coilovers", I have a low paying job and I'm saving up to move out and go to UTI for some training, so for now I need a good shock/spring combo, not a coilover suggestion.

Thanks!

Pushing 14.7 PSI of all natural boost!!!
IGSDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
get coilovers...

like seriously...wait till you can afford them and then get them...but for autocross, make sure you're not modding yourself into a class that will own your ass...make sure you stay within the guidelines of the class you want to be in so you can be competitive.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
For auto-x, the best shock you can get is Koni Yellow. Nothing else.
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
HaLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
RSR race springs and Koni yellows.

Tokico HPs work surprisingly well with these springs too, from personal experience.

Also get a thicker rear sway bar.
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
I used RSR Sus Down springs w/ KYB AGX, but i had really shitty tires and an automatic, so my experience is...well...it sucked
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 AM   #6
Nismo180
Leaky Injector

Nismo180 is a well-known jackass
Whiteline springs with Koni Yellows. Ebay some KYBs if you can't get the yellows.
Nismo180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
^ that is because AGX plain suck.

I have AGX now, and compared to the tokicos I've had and koni's I have helped install/driven on, they truly do suck.

edit: reply meant to be directed to optionzero
Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 AM   #8
WeldingHank
Leaky Injector

WeldingHank is an unknown quantity at this point
Megan Racing coilovers can be had for $899
Old 04-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
SHIFT_control
Leaky Injector

SHIFT_control is a well-known jackass
get the nismo setup.... its what ive got and it made a bigger difference than the front sway bad did...... just my thoughts.
SHIFT_control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
IGSDann
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldingHank
Megan Racing coilovers can be had for $899
Springs and tokicos can be had for under $500.

I'm gonna check out these whiteline springs and koni's, though they look pricey ($500 for a set?), so I may just stick with the tokicos.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
Konis > most low end coilovers.
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
HaLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

i'd skip on the whiteline springs. too soft. Yes, I have driven on them (with koni yellows), so this is from experience.

as far as springs go, get RSR race or save up for coilovers.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #13
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Konis kick ass and can be revalved to work with whatver springs you choose. I think RSR race springs would compliment them nicely. Sounds like this setup would be out of your price range though.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #14
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
have you thought about subframe collars?
SimpleS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #15
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Yea, I only had time to get the 2 rear collars on my car, and those made a world of differance. maybe I should put the other 2 on..... I got the full collars that go on the bottom, from a GB of a company on here, forgot thier name. They look so prettttttyyyyyyyyyy and great bang for the buck.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #16
Rennen
Zilvia Addict

Rennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enough
If you can't afford coilovers, just get a real good set of shocks and some big sway bars. The bars will help more than lowering springs, and you aren't wasting money towards something you will replace anyway.

-Matt

'89 Nissan 240SX fastback: #23 DSP/RallyMod2/Track Slut
'95 BMW 540i 6 speed: Ultimate Commuting Machine

PFM Racing
www.solo2.org
www.midwest240sx.com
Rennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
raen419
Zilvia Member

raen419 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raen419
there's a miata that runs almost every meet at our local autoX's. he's got stock everything minus his shocks, which are koni yellows. he runs the fastest time in smII almost every meet.
your suspension will help you only so much, though. if i were you, i'd grab some koni yellows off tirerack and go run your first time with them, but play w/ the dampening settings (rears aren't adjustable on the car, so keep that in mind, but fronts are).
if you get coilovers, don't get rediculosly stiff springs (your car only weight 2700-2800 lbs). some say 8/6 is too stiff, but it does just fine for my buddy.
SCC said the optimum spring rate for s13 (that pulled 1g on skidpad) is 6/5kg, so keep that in mind when/if you go spring shopping.
raen419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #18
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
doesn't optimal spring rate depend on a whole host of factors? Not only that, but they have a freakin' expensive Quaife
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:59 PM   #19
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

"scc said...."

you can't be serious..
Old 04-23-2005, 12:17 AM   #20
raen419
Zilvia Member

raen419 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raen419
i've driven a s13 w/ 6/5 spring rates. felt great to me. back end didn't break loose (on azenis sports, mind you) like my buddy's KTS's. both cars were set on a mid dampening setting, as well. can't argue with fact. i read, then test for myself before i post something.
so yes, i am serious.

plus considering SCC is one of the only magazines half way worth picking up anymore...well, that and HPI out of australia.
raen419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #21
IGSDann
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raen419
i
plus considering SCC is one of the only magazines half way worth picking up anymore...well, that and HPI out of australia.
Don't forget GrassRoots Motorsports

Old 04-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #22
98sr20ve
Zilvia Member

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by raen419
if you get coilovers, don't get rediculosly stiff springs (your car only weight 2700-2800 lbs). some say 8/6 is too stiff, but it does just fine for my buddy.
SCC said the optimum spring rate for s13 (that pulled 1g on skidpad) is 6/5kg, so keep that in mind when/if you go spring shopping.
I have tried 8/6 and then 6/300lb springs on my S13. Much better with the lighter springs. Frankly, my car was faster with stock springs then with the 8/6. It was just scarry with that spring rate on any normal roads around here. People put too much weight on coilovers and lowering. I also used Koni Yellows with a great alignment. The car was awesome like that. Right now I am running Silkroad RM/A8's with 6/336lb front springs and a hypercoil 300lb rear springs. With that setup you NEED camber arms in the back, toe rods in the back just to get the alignment right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGSDann
So basiccly I'd like some testimonials for RS*R Down Springs for Autocross. Good setup? Anyone prefer them to Pro-Kits?. I'm going to get a new set of springs with Tokico HP's, good price and better than stock. AGX's are a bit too expensive for my budget.

Please don't tell me "Get coilovers", I have a low paying job and I'm saving up to move out and go to UTI for some training, so for now I need a good shock/spring combo, not a coilover suggestion.

Thanks!
I had the RSR Race springs and they did not have enough travel for my liking up front. We have very little shock travel in the front and lowering springs kinda suck due to that. I could have shortened the Konis and made them work but I decided to get the Silkroads instead.
98sr20ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:08 AM   #23
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
Quote:
Don't forget GrassRoots Motorsports
For any/all info on autoX hit up a few issues of grassroots motorsports. they go very in depth for solo2, autoX, budget racing blah blah. if you are doing solo2 wider wheels, stuffed with rubber, insane spring rates, and get on the learning roller coaster.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #24
WeldingHank
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Springs and tokicos can be had for under $500.

I'm gonna check out these whiteline springs and koni's, though they look pricey ($500 for a set?), so I may just stick with the tokicos.

you said you had $1000 to spend. i was just giving you one option.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #25
IGSDann
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldingHank
you said you had $1000 to spend. i was just giving you one option.
Alex... I never said anything about $1000 dollars, where'd you find that?

Old 04-24-2005, 08:47 PM   #26
WeldingHank
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Alex... I never said anything about $1000 dollars, where'd you find that?
my fault, too many forums, they all look the same now :hammer: :hammer:
Old 07-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #27
Spring Break '92
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Spring Break '92 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a set of RS*R race springs and a set of Konis, yet to be installed. Thing is, the front springs dont seem to be the same diameter as the stock front springs, anyone notice this? They came to me in a box with the correct part number too. If anyone has pics or can take pics of a set of RS*R race springs for an S13, please post a pic of the front springs.
Spring Break '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Way to be three years too late to the party.