Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #31
Beas
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Beas is making a name for him/her selfBeas is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaVAgES14 View Post
That's the shop I'm asking about, is that the pbm shop?
not part shop max. tom's old garage. its not really a business or anything.
Beas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #32
Mschiano.

Trader Rating: (0)
Mschiano. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awesome build, awesome wife. Doing it right my dude making some quick progress!!
Mschiano. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #33
Beas
Zilvia Member

I want to talk for a bit about parts and vendors I used during the swap for people who may read this down the road before their own swaps. First off, using a common American motor has made it so easy to get small parts and fittings. so far I have picked up a coil pack, intake air temp sensor, MAP sensor, and other bits like hardware all from local shops like Oreillys. something to think about if you are debating v8 vs Japanese swap. Also, being able to order from giants in the industry like summit or jegs is very convenient.

Wiring Specialties

I got my harness from them and im really glad I did. I don't know shit about wiring and electrical systems, but with just one call to them with a few questions, ive wired up my whole car with ease. they make it so simple. its like setting up an x box.

Hinson Supercars

what a mess. I ordered a radiator and intake setup from them, and it took 4 months to arrive. No emails or order info. I was in the dark. countless phone calls and promises that it would ship next week, and next week, and next week. They seemed to have some legal issues and possible felony charges recently and I believe the company is under new ownership. Maybe the new guys can pull things around but ill never order from them again.

SIKKY

So far all of their parts have worked out great. high quality parts and they have been pretty helpful on the phone.

Swap is getting close to completion. just wrapping up some small stuff and it should be back on the streets.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 AM   #34
boost infested
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
boost infested is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Do you have pictures of the passenger side header? Mine is touching the frame rail with the last runner. just touching.

I am waiting on approval to post my build thread. Here is mine with sikky's 1 7/8 headers.

<<<<<passenger side >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> driver side is about 15 away..
boost infested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #35
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
To piggyback Beas experience....being on a budget build I have been able to score numerous parts for relatively cheap due to the interchangeability of parts. Accessories, oil and water pumps, timing chains, sensors etc have all been picked up second hand for my build at probably 1/5 of what they cost at the dealers or new.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #36
Beas
Zilvia Member

@boostinfested.

wow, im glad I went with the 1 3/4 primaries. I have a good amount more clearance. ill post up a pic of the engine bay and where everything is soon.

EDIT: both of mine have clearance similar to your driver side. not sure whats up with your pass. side

Last edited by Beas; 06-22-2014 at 02:13 PM..
Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #37
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looking good bro.. swap is moving right along.. Keep it up
Old 06-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #38
Beas
Zilvia Member

ok, so been busy with the car all week. the radiator, fans, and intake finally came in from hinson motorsports after 4 months waiting. the radiator fits well, and came with a steam vent port already welded in, so I was happy with that. the intake and fans don't fit very well. long story short hinson motorsports wont get any more of my money.

anyway, radiator in. clearance from accessories. in the second pic u can see how I ran the steam line.

here's the intake from Hinson. I still need to cut out some sheet metal. intake is barely long enough to make it past the frame rail. Not sure if the filter will fit on or not.

FPR/filter. on the passenger side. not really happy with the placement but im still using the hardlines and they kinda limit my location.

you can see how close the fuel lines are to the header. going to get some heat wrap /flameguard for it. hopefully that's enough.

Oil filter mounted up on the driver side. would prefer to tuck this away somewhere, but with the lines provided I just kept it simple.

One thing that really impressed me about Wiring Specialties is they sent me 2 plugs likes this so I can wire up the fans, and ill be able to unplug them easy if I need to pull the radiator for any reason.

Going to get exhaust made soon. not sure what im going to go with yet. hopefully dual 3 inch all the way with a muffler in there. im a bit concerned with how low the header flange is on the driver side. this is now the lowest point on my car (besides lip). might have to raise the car a little so I don't damage it. its about 2 inches from the ground. maybe less.

so, came time to start it and I was getting a loud knock from the starter. it was slightly too close to the flywheel so I had to get some shims and space it out about 1/4 inch. with that done the motor was cranking but not firing up. I had power to the injectors, had spark, had fuel pressure going to the rail. couldn't figure it out for a while but eventually pulled off the fuel rail and found out the injectors were gunked up and not squirting any fuel. cleaned em up a bit and the car fired right up.

how it sits for now.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #39
ksuberk54
Leaky Injector

ksuberk54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice progress man. I wish I had mechanical skills like you guys do!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #40
Beas
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuberk54 View Post
Nice progress man. I wish I had mechanical skills like you guys do!
honestly man, the knowledge is out there. you can learn everything from the internet. Im no mechanic. I just have some sockets and wrenches and a breaker bar. when you take everything one step at a time it becomes much simpler. I made some mistakes, luckily they were cheap mistakes. I learned so much from doing the swap myself, and would strongly encourage anybody thinking of a swap to do it themselves. you learn so much about your car.

also, the drifting.com DVD was helpful.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #41
Sac14

Sac14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice build. I'll keep watching to see it finished.
Sac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #42
Beas
Zilvia Member

So, took a week vacation, came home to a custom exhaust done being built. finished up a few minor things and the car is now roadworthy. seems to be running fine. I had some issues with the cooling at first. had the radiator hose pop off on the freeway. seems like I just didn't tighten down the hose enough on install. car continued to over heat quickly. I jacked the car up on the driver side and bleed the coolant system with the cap off, and was able to get a lot of air out. I also looped the water pump heater outlets rather than capping them off. I've hear 50/50 opinions on capping vs looping, so I played it safe with some hose. now the car stays nice and cool.

put some flameguard on the fuel lines. ill have to keep a close eye on it to see how it holds up.

kept the interior fairly simple and comfortable for now. gutted behind the seats, but kept the radio and most of the dash stuff in.

had to raise the car up unfortunately. I still only have about 1 1/4 inches of ground clearance from the header flange. im probably going to raise the rear up even more to get some more clearance under the car. cant afford to damage the headers.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #43
ksuberk54
Leaky Injector

ksuberk54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Get some bigger tires in the rear when you raise it up. Will have an awesome stance when you do that!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #44
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
^^^^^agreed

What are you running now? Sorry if I missed that post before :P
Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #45
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Car stance looks mean...so clean
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #46
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
First: Congrats on doing the swap yourself, that's rad. Glad you've found Zilvia helpful!

Second: Wife is bangin', good work with that.

Third: Hose clamping 3/8" (6an) hose onto the stock 8mm lines is no good, especially right next to the header, whether you put insulation over 'em or not. The not-quite-so-bad (but not quite perfect) solution is to cut the stock tube with a tubing cutter, run the Earl's 5/16" tube to 6an conversion fittings, and put 6an hose ends on the hose you've got.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #47
nickmat619

nickmat619 is an unknown quantity at this point
The car looks amazing man congrats on getting her running!
nickmat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #48
PLAYERO_LOKO
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
PLAYERO_LOKO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
sweet ride, and the ol' lady looks just as good! 2 thumbs up brother!!!
PLAYERO_LOKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #49
eastcoaststeeze
Zilvia Member

eastcoaststeeze is an unknown quantity at this point
I am extremely impressed with wiring specialties too, top notch stuff from those guys, cant wait to see this finished
eastcoaststeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #50
Beas
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuberk54 View Post
Get some bigger tires in the rear when you raise it up. Will have an awesome stance when you do that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-20sx View Post
^^^^^agreed

What are you running now? Sorry if I missed that post before :P

the pic actually makes it look like im tucking more than I really am out back. ground isn't level there.

running 235/40/17 all around right now. going to put wider and stickier azenis 615k out back once these tires wear out.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #51
Beas
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
First: Congrats on doing the swap yourself, that's rad. Glad you've found Zilvia helpful!

Second: Wife is bangin', good work with that.

Third: Hose clamping 3/8" (6an) hose onto the stock 8mm lines is no good, especially right next to the header, whether you put insulation over 'em or not. The not-quite-so-bad (but not quite perfect) solution is to cut the stock tube with a tubing cutter, run the Earl's 5/16" tube to 6an conversion fittings, and put 6an hose ends on the hose you've got.

thanks and thanks

yeah, I had been looking for a better way to run the fuel lines. I haven't been happy with the hose over hard line setup from the beginning. luckily there is a shop that stocks everything Earls right here in SD so im going to go see what I can find. wish I would have bought the full length lines that run from the fuel tank to the front when I got the stuff from sikky.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #52
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
235?! Yea I would wait too til tires wear out. Tires aren't cheap
Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #53
Alan240sx
Leaky Injector

Alan240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Such a clean simple build. Good job man! You really got me thinking about my future swap.
Alan240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #54
Beas
Zilvia Member

so, small update. took it to the 1/8th mile drag strip last night. I wanted to push the car hard and see how everything held up. the car ran good. nothing broke and the engine stayed nice and cool most of the night. started to get a little warm at the end of the night, but on the drive home it cooled off right away, back to normal temps.

as for the runs, nothing special. I think 9.7 was my quickest. no grip in first gear, all my launches were really slow. I was running 235/40/17 at about 30psi falken azenis fk453. I would spin in 2nd and 3rd as well. once I hit 3rd though i was catching everbody. the car def feels fast once the grip is there.

i ran against a KA-T s14 with the much stickier azenis 615k, he got a big jump off the line, but i was gaining on him fast at the end. trapped about 8mph faster than he did. so the motor def runs strong.

cant wait to get some drifting in.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #55
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
holy wife.... and sick ass build too, why was she dressed up and you werent? racecar? lol love the stock body kouki on rpf1's super clean
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #56
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Sorry to backtrack...have a question. Are you also using the CTS-V Crank Pulley? Reason I ask is because I have seen most people use the Vette Pulley with the rest of the CTS-V Accessory Drive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #57
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Sorry to backtrack...have a question. Are you also using the CTS-V Crank Pulley? Reason I ask is because I have seen most people use the Vette Pulley with the rest of the CTS-V Accessory Drive.

Thanks in advance.
Corvette (Y-body) and CTS-V/G8 are the same accessory offset, F-body is further forward, truck is further forward than that.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #58
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

^^^^much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #59
Beas
Zilvia Member

adding some pics soon. been really busy the last couple of months with moving to las vegas and work. for more pics and vids check out my instagram

@chris_beas

Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #60
Beas
Zilvia Member

couple pics. first wash since moving to vegas. was long over due. paint doesn't look to bad for 17 years old. not much has changed on the car recently. saving for tires and a helmet to start beating on this thing.

here's a shot of the header clearance from the ground. if u look closely you can see the V-band is just over and inch from the street.