Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
scca_civic

Trader Rating: (0)
scca_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to scca_civic
SR After Market Tachometer (tach) Install ?? Help Please ??

I got an aftermarket tach. To put a long story short. The tach will not read the yellow/red wire from the ecu. So after check some posts, I tapped into the CAS wires - I currently have it tapped into the WHITE wire.

Here is my problem. The tach will work upto around 3.5-4k rpms, but then it will not rev any higher then that. I don't know what else to do, please help.

Thanks

SCCA_Civic

89 Nissan 240SX with SR20DET.
scca_civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
RedtopTech
Zilvia Member

RedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud of
may i ask why you are putting a second tach on your 240?
RedtopTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
P4rD0nM3
Zilvia FREAK!

P4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of light
1. His oem meter's fucked up.
2. More accurate (Perhaps).
3. CUZ MOST PEOPLE DO THAT! AND I WANT ONE TOO!
4. Random.
5. Dunno what he wants.
P4rD0nM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
scca_civic

scca_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to scca_civic
Because I don't want to use the factory Gauge cluster - I don't care about my Speed - just the engine temp, oil temp, oil press, rpms, fuel level, & boost. I hate the look of the stupid pods the mount on the pillars. So I am going with a custom dash - I have access to a water jet machine and I am a designer, so I will lay everything out and have a nice clean cluster with the gauges I want to fit in the space I want and so no one else will not whats under the hood if they walk by(its a sleeper - everything hid (except for the exhaust)).
scca_civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
jaja
Zilvia Member

jaja is making a name for him/her selfjaja is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jaja
so did you figure out which wire to connect it to? I'm interested in a tach myself - not sure which wire to get the tach signal from.

thx
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja
so did you figure out which wire to connect it to? I'm interested in a tach myself - not sure which wire to get the tach signal from.

thx
I installed a shift light in my last 240, and I spliced the signal wire onto one of the wires leading to the coil. I believe it was the green wire.
naed240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
jaja
Zilvia Member

jaja is making a name for him/her selfjaja is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jaja
hey thx. I'll test it out. 'cause some people say take it from the ecu, etc.

the green wire is probably right. the wire i need to connect out of the tach is green too
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtopTech
may i ask why you are putting a second tach on your 240?
Stock tachometers are notoriously inaccurate, especially in the upper quadrant of the rev range. We don't have to discuss the merits of having an accurate tach, but that should answer your question.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
+1 for custom gauge cluster. I was working on one, but other stuff came first..... All that works on my stock cluster now is my tach, lol. I dont even know my fuel level...
Old 03-24-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
808DRFTR
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
808DRFTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
On my SR i just used the red/yellow wire off the ecu and ran it straight to the tach, the yellow/red wire did not goto the cluster.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
TanbouTaTsubasa

TanbouTaTsubasa is an unknown quantity at this point
on the whole aftermarket Tach thing, be that Im new to all this shit I was able to wire most of it up just fine, I just can't find where to wire the backlight to it...
TanbouTaTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:17 PM   #12
s13silvia03
Zilvia Addict

Location: PA.....I always thought that dogs...umm...layed eggs, and I learned something today
s13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to s13silvia03
Wire it to your dash lights so it comes on when you turn them on.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
ur so smart bryan - autometer tach helpline master

from nissanperformance

First, disconnect the negative terminal to your battery. The tach should have 3 or 4 wires. The black one is a ground and should be connected to a clean spot on the frame. The red one is a constant 12V source and should be connected to the positive battery terminal, or something that only gets power when the ignition is turned on. The green one provides the engine rpm signal and must be connected to the negative side of the ignition coil or tach signal connection point, usually a blue wire with an orange stripe (typically pin 3 on the ECU for lookup). It could also be called the TACH, TACH TEST, or DEC terminal and can be found in the service manual. On distributorless cars, the green wire will be connected to the tach output on the coilpack. If provided, a blue or white wire for tach illumination should be connected to a circuit energized only when the lights are on.
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
s13silvia03
Zilvia Addict

Location: PA.....I always thought that dogs...umm...layed eggs, and I learned something today
s13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to s13silvia03
He only asked about wiring the backlight

Old 12-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
TanbouTaTsubasa

TanbouTaTsubasa is an unknown quantity at this point
call me a lozr but I was chopping wires yesterday and I kinda gave up and went cheapo on it... I couldnt for the life of me find one that got power once the lights were on. I came up short every wire I tried. I got peefed and just wired it up to the freaking lighter power wire, so when my cars on acc. the TAC back light is on :P
TanbouTaTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
prang11
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
prang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanbouTaTsubasa
call me a lozr but I was chopping wires yesterday and I kinda gave up and went cheapo on it... I couldnt for the life of me find one that got power once the lights were on. I came up short every wire I tried. I got peefed and just wired it up to the freaking lighter power wire, so when my cars on acc. the TAC back light is on :P
Better your car than mine. All you need is a little power tester. Stick it in the harness plugs or wherever the wire is conecting to the factory gauges then flip the lights on and off till you find the right wire. No splicing required till you find the right wire.
prang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanbouTaTsubasa

dude you were too close to what you wanted. I just tapped into the wire that leads to the light on the freaking cig. lighter. no need to tear anything else apart, easy peazy.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
EZADesigns

EZADesigns is an unknown quantity at this point
I am having a problem with the Green Wire. When I put it in the right spot, it doesn't want to work it just goes up and down fast inbettwen 1000 RPM and 0 RPM. Everything else is hooked up and right. The White Wire is in the right spot and the light turns on, the Red Wire is in the right spot for the power and the Black is grounded. But, when I tried doing the Green one the tach doesn't want to do the RPM's right. Any sugggestions?

Thanks
EZADesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Srsil
Leaky Injector

Srsil is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont u need to have a Dakota signal amplifier to run a aftermarket tach with a nissan because there signals are so weak
Srsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
some tachs cant read the sr signal. You can use a resistor like so:

resistor found at radio shack for .05 cent
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #21
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
many aftermarket tachs (like stack cluster) will not read off the factory nissan signal.
often times you must run a tach adapter like either the autometer one or the msd one.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote