Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #31
DenkiMan!
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DenkiMan! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Personally I'd go with a Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Sports Turbo and lower it (wish we got the STi version). LOVE how that thing looks

You can also probably get a '13-'14 Fiesta ST for around 20k. i work with someone who has a '14 and it's a peppy hot hatch with great gas mileage. yes Ford, but it's a well done car. same with the newer Focus ST's.

Or wait till the prices on the new 1.5T Civics come down and get yourself manual (the CVT auto sucks ass). the aftermarket support for those cars will get intense in the coming months. (plus, fun fact; Seibon featured a full prototype kit for the sedan at SEMA that was absolutely bonkers)

Looking for another pair of 17x9 Veilside Andrew Racing V's
DenkiMan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #32
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
335XI Sedan.. That's my daily and got it used for well under 18K with under 62,000 miles a few years back. Granted i needed a new radiator and turbo gaskets but that has been it during 3 years of ownership!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #33
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Would be nice I'm sure. My uncle payed in full when he bought his 2014 Silverado brand new from the dealership for over 40k... It took him since his early 20's to save up that money since he swore he'd own a new truck some day and would pay cash...
I'm not trying to save up for that long haha.

I saw a Fiesta ST in front of me yesterday and got to hear it leave a stop light, little car sounded pretty awesome.

1.5T civic is really peaking my interest as well. 6mt of course.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #34
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
This is my position, I just work and drive to much to daily a project. Warranties and maintenance plans appeal to me in my quarter-life crisis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Now I'm bored with the daily 240 and keep having this thought in the back of my head that I should just get a "new" car on a payment plan.
X3
My daily commute is just too much to justify some of the cars I'd like to replace the 240 with. Besides the fact that car notes SUCK, nothing new currently appeals to me. Hell if my commuting miles were in the single digits, I'd be daily driving somthing from the late 60s/early 70s! '66 Chevelle with an LS swap for now, and another one with a big block once the wife graduates.lol

But on topic, WRX 'blobeyes' are cool.

Sent from my SM-G930P
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #35
VROOOM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just bought a new Fiesta ST for a little over 20k. you can get a used one with the Recaro package for under 20k easy. they are quick enough for around town fun and handle amazingly well. go test drive one.
VROOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #36
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
if your commute is relatively short, an xj cherokee is perfect.

that engine will see beyond 300k miles if properly maintained. cheap parts, easy to work on. plus you can tow the racecar with it, all for under $5k.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #37
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Yeah I just saw a red CX3. I'm going to reiterate my nomination.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #38
Tempast

Tempast is an unknown quantity at this point
My next car is planned to be either an imported Legacy B4 wagon, or a '98-'02 Stagea 250 RS Four-S (280 horse, AWD, manual trans and an RB25DET.
I want a wagon because I like to be able to haul crap in the back (you wont believe how much crap I've fit in my Z before) and I want AWD for the bit of snow we get on the west coast of Canada. 280 horse is nice too. Half the drift kids have RB's and parts for RB's so the RB25 is relatively easy to work on for me.
Also both are priced easily under 10 for a minty one with 40-60k miles. (60-100k kilometers)
Tempast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #39
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Motor View Post
As much as trucks are the best idea ever, he's looking for a coupe / hatch back that's smaller with good MPG. I put my truck in there to at first.

Corbic - What kit is your truck running? Looks great, I have a camburg race kit, TRD big brake kit, race hubs, and boxed spindles sitting in the garage that I'm still collecting parts to finish the front of my 08 tundra. Really liking your tacoma
Not mine. I'm stock TRD Off Road with 32" Goodyear Wranglers. I'll get a pic tomorrow.

I'd go long travel if I went south, LT and salty roads don't go well.

That truck is Total Chaos I believe.

This one of my favorite builds -

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-thread.25735/
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #40
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
car payments are for suckers. If I can pay in full, I do.
Considering how low interest rates are, dropping $20k cash on a car is iditoic when that can be invested or used to pay off higher interest debts like student loans, credit cards and medical bills. That type of cash can also be used for a down payment on a home because "renting is for suckers".
Old 11-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #41
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
My only daily?

Same one I have now, Tacoma.

Sporty, reliable and fun to drive with tons of practicality.
Quote:
Considering how low interest rates are, dropping $20k cash on a car is iditoic when that can be invested or used to pay off higher interest debts like student loans, credit cards and medical bills. That type of cash can also be used for a down payment on a home because "renting is for suckers".
See this at work all the time. Plenty of clients paying $40-50k cash. I get the whole not wanting to owe thing, but when you can be making more money investing that type of cash, it's kind of stupid to not take advantage of subvented rates and putting that money to work.

Currently DD'ing a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport. $40k MSRP with all the added factory options. I've had it for a little over a year now and probably going to switch out of it in the next few months for a 4runner TRD Pro or something of that sort.

Sticking with a practical daily in the $20k range, Infiniti G37 4-door in the somewhat "luxury" line. For fuel economy, Lexus CT or a Prius (if you could bring yourself to doing that).

I personally stick with leasing. I have multiple cars to switch around in which helps keep the miles down, it's pretty convenient in terms of maintenance (just about everything covered for the duration of my lease), and being in the car business helps in finding the best deals.

Having crunched the numbers quite a few times, it doesn't cost me a ton more to continue leasing cars. Definitely nice to drive something new every year or two.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #42
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Crimson has a point with the CT. That would be a good choice.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #43
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Not to mention you can drop 20K on a car then minutes later somebody could run a light and wreck it. You are basically assed out as insurance still paying value of vehicle.

In the real world if I had 20K, no way in hell I'd blow it on a car. I'd pay off all debt minus student loans and take the other 14K, get a loan from a bank for around 9K, ad 4K to it from the 14K. Take the other 10K and let it sit in a bank somewhere.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #44
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post

Currently DD'ing a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport. $40k MSRP with all the added factory options. I've had it for a little over a year now and probably going to switch out of it in the next few months for a 4runner TRD Pro or something of that sort.

I love the 4Runners. I had a 3rd Gen. sadly I'm addicted to having a truck bed now. Maybe if I gave up race cars and got into having babies.

As promised.

11 years old, 187k miles, 100% paid off and mine.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #45
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Not to mention you can drop 20K on a car then minutes later somebody could run a light and wreck it. You are basically assed out as insurance still paying value of vehicle.

A good insurance company pays out what it's worth. If you paid $20k and 5 minutes latter get hit, you should get $20k.

Never put money down on a lease however. You won't get that money back since you don't own the vehicle.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #46
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
A good insurance company pays out what it's worth. If you paid $20k and 5 minutes latter get hit, you should get $20k.

Never put money down on a lease however. You won't get that money back since you don't own the vehicle.

Key words there. Plus I mean more of lets say a year later or sometimes even 6 months later. Plus insurance pays on value based on general price not one's personal sales price. If you put 20K down on a 50K car worth 30K (extreme example I know). Your insurance will pay 30K and you will be assed out.

I had a lady put 27K down on a car she bought for like 44K. When we value it at like 31K she was pissed. Until I showed her another dealership like 20 miles from where she bought hers, that had a car 2 years newer, with less miles and the exact same options as hers for $35K.

She had an interest that was in excess of 6% on a 72 month loan for a car older than 2009.

Agreed on the lease thing. At work all the time i have to explain to people how their total loss on the lease they don't get shit because they are not the owner of the vehicle.

I am not the lease type. I get it for some, like Johnny's example but me, no thanks. I'd rather drive something for 15+ years. Hell I would STILL be dailying the S14 if the KA had not crapped out on me.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #47
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
See this at work all the time. Plenty of clients paying $40-50k cash. I get the whole not wanting to owe thing, but when you can be making more money investing that type of cash, it's kind of stupid to not take advantage of subvented rates and putting that money to work.
Quote:
In the real world if I had 20K, no way in hell I'd blow it on a car. I'd pay off all debt minus student loans and take the other 14K, get a loan from a bank for around 9K, ad 4K to it from the 14K. Take the other 10K and let it sit in a bank somewhere.
All valid and by all means the more practical option for many people.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #48
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Why spend so much?

Buy a previous gen Honda Fit in stick
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #49
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
JZX100 and call it a day.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #50
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
To address the price posts, the reasoning to spending so much is simply that as I stated I'm a millennial, meaning that unless I've been banging out penny stocks I don't have 20k cash to spend, but I do have good credit and 20k is the price point for many used cars less than 5 years old that you can still get a reasonable loan for.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #51
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
To address the price posts, the reasoning to spending so much is simply that as I stated I'm a millennial, meaning that unless I've been banging out penny stocks I don't have 20k cash to spend, but I do have good credit and 20k is the price point for many used cars less than 5 years old that you can still get a reasonable loan for.

Go to a credit union. 2-4% interest and you can finance anything up to 110% of its book value.

Terms are normally under $10k is less then 48 months. Over $15k 60-72 months.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #52
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Go to a credit union. 2-4% interest and you can finance anything up to 110% of its book value.

Terms are normally under $10k is less then 48 months. Over $15k 60-72 months.
To add to this some credit unions will change rates depending on year of vehicle going so far as to refused to finance past some years (one of mine won't do past 7 of the current year)
Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #53
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
To add to this some credit unions will change rates depending on year of vehicle going so far as to refused to finance past some years (one of mine won't do past 7 of the current year)

My experience has been the big federal ones are the unions to use.

NASA Federal Credit Union
Navy Federal Credit Union
USAA

Locals/Regional can be hit or miss.

But they'll always be better then comparable banks.

5/3 Bank valued a Evo 9 at like $8k when my buddy talked to them. It's like, okay I'll buy 6 at that price please.

KBB lists a Evo 9 at $22-28k.

Last of the 4Gs.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #54
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
My experience has been the big federal ones are the unions to use.

NASA Federal Credit Union
Navy Federal Credit Union
USAA

Locals/Regional can be hit or miss.

But they'll always be better then comparable banks.

5/3 Bank valued a Evo 9 at like $8k when my buddy talked to them. It's like, okay I'll buy 6 at that price please.

KBB lists a Evo 9 at $22-28k.

Last of the 4Gs.
Mine was a federal one then later became "financial".

I don't know why people bother with 5/3, wells fargo, bank of America, etc. Credit unions just make so much more sense.

Checked rates for gits n shiggles

12 Months 1.24%** 12 Months/ $83.91 per $1,000
24 Months 1.49%** 24 Months/ $42.32 per $1,000
36 Months 1.69%** 36 Months/ $28.51 per $1,000
48 Months 1.69%** 48 Months/ $21.56 per $1,000
60 Months 1.69%** 60 Months/ $17.39 per $1,000
72 Months 1.99%** 72 Months/ $14.75 per $1,000
84 Months 1.99%** 84 Months/ $12.77 per $1,000
Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #55
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
I feel paying full is a pride thing.

If I can buy anything and pay less then 5% interest over years and years with nothing but build credit why the fuck not. Paying in full does 0 but empty it put bank account
Old 11-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #56
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
I feel paying full is a pride thing.

If I can buy anything and pay less then 5% interest over years and years with nothing but build credit why the fuck not. Paying in full does 0 but empty it put bank account
Some people absolutely do not like having money held over their head and they're financial/credit situation might allow it.

I'm not saying I'm a lending expert, but those reasons make sense to me.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #57
future
Post Whore!

I have no point to argue with you. Just food for thought
Old 11-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #58
RB IMPORTS
Leaky Injector

RB IMPORTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a Nissan Skyline
RB IMPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #59
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
Credit Unions? PSCHHHTTTT!!! You guys are a bunch of saps. Spending a large wad of cash on a depreciating item is for suckers!!!!

Alright. got out all my economics 101 banter.

For a usable, reliable coupe that is good/decent on gas, I'd go G37. I'm 6'3" and over 300lbs and it(G35) had enough room for me and my stuff (not including family). I imagine you're single and significantly smaller so you should be good. Plus, it's a Nissan in uppity clothing, so you're good there.

For a fun hatch, Focus ST>Fiesta ST for spacing and utility. Fiesta ST>fOCUS ST for fun factor.
Honda CRZ is good for...whatever Hondas do. So, there's that.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #60
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftsucky View Post
says spending money on depreciating asset is stupid, recommends Japanese luxury car.

Uh, okay, that made sense.