Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
SpdElemts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
SpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hydrocarbon emissions too high need help tried everything.

Hi guys, I’m officially stuck. I got a ticket for illegal intake and I got everything back to stock and now I can’t pass smog at the state ref. My Hydrocarbon readings is too high (15Mph: max 118 Meas 163 25mph: max 83 Meas 123) other then that i am fine. Got a brand new cat and no change at all. Went back with brand new cap/rotor, spark plugs and wires, air filter, and some acetone in the gas tank and no change it actually got higher. I need help guys. Is there any way to lower my hydrocarbons at all? Or some way to make my car run really lean just to get it tested. I’ve made 4 trips to the state ref already and i am getting tired of this. So any help would be much appreciated.
BTW a friend suggested that I disconnect the vacuum hose to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and plug the hose up then go test my car. I doubt this but if anyone could explain to me why this might help then I might just go get it tested with the FPR disconnected from the vacuum hose.

Thanks, Jeff

-Jeff Wolfson
SpdElemts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
how bout a new cat.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOfSilence
how bout a new cat.
good job reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdElemts
Got a brand new cat and no change at all.
not that a cat would help for hydrocarbons anyway, it takes care of NOx.
try some injector cleaner or one of those fuel system flushes. check your timing.
cdlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
The HC emissions are controlled by the EVAP system, PCV Valve, Air Pump(Air Induction Valve) and believe it or not the Catalytic Converter. The ignition system is what usually causes high HC levels, because there is excessive unburnt fuel.

Air filter, fuel filter, condition of the fuel system, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and regular oil changes also contribute to your emission levels.

Some tips that I found in a book I have are:

1. Test your vehicle on a nice day. Cold weather requires that the engine run longer for the engine to reach operating temp.

2.Battery must be in good condition. A weak battery causes fuel-injected engines to run too rich.

3.Change engine oil before having the vehicle tested. Dirty or contaminated oil increases exhaust emissions.

4.When fueliing your vehicle, do not overfill the gas tank, cause then liquid gasoline can be drawn into the engine throught the canister purge system.

5.Using premium-grade gasoline helps prevent NOx emissions.

6.Drive 20 minutes before the vehicle is tested to ensure that the engine oil, coolant, and catalytic converter are at normal operating temp.

7.While waiting for the inspection run engine at a fast idle. (Hmm..???)

8.Make sure your A/C, heater, and defrost is all off preventing extra load on the engine.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin240
The HC emissions are controlled by the EVAP system, PCV Valve, Air Pump(Air Induction Valve) and believe it or not the Catalytic Converter. The ignition system is what usually causes high HC levels, because there is excessive unburnt fuel.

Air filter, fuel filter, condition of the fuel system, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and regular oil changes also contribute to your emission levels.

Some tips that I found in a book I have are:

1. Test your vehicle on a nice day. Cold weather requires that the engine run longer for the engine to reach operating temp.

2.Battery must be in good condition. A weak battery causes fuel-injected engines to run too rich.

3.Change engine oil before having the vehicle tested. Dirty or contaminated oil increases exhaust emissions.

4.When fueliing your vehicle, do not overfill the gas tank, cause then liquid gasoline can be drawn into the engine throught the canister purge system.

5.Using premium-grade gasoline helps prevent NOx emissions.

6.Drive 20 minutes before the vehicle is tested to ensure that the engine oil, coolant, and catalytic converter are at normal operating temp.

7.While waiting for the inspection run engine at a fast idle. (Hmm..???)

8.Make sure your A/C, heater, and defrost is all off preventing extra load on the engine.

DITTO, timing is everything. My KA is running extremely rich right now due to some old bad fuel injectors. Is this a single cam with top feeds by chance?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
SpdElemts
Zilvia Junkie

SpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone know anything about the unplugged vacuum hose off the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

-Jeff Wolfson
Old 08-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
TibDrifter
Leaky Injector

TibDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
use about 10% alchole(rubbing alchole) and drive the shit out of it before your test, get it hot. take your spare tire off, jack and put the minum amount of gas in your car. drive real hard before your smog test....you will pass
TibDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
SpdElemts
Zilvia Junkie

Does anyone know what would happen if i unplugged my vacuum hose to the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

-Jeff Wolfson
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
94_240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
94_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Similar experience

I have base model 95 MX-3 which is a daily driver and had exact same problem last week. At 15mph, 141 is max in Texas. I had 199. Did full tune up since it was due anyway. New plugs, wires, rotor, cap, timing belt, water pump, trans mount, engine mounts. intake tube(cracked), oil change whole nine yard. It went down to 152. Still couldn't pass. My car was running slightly rich. So adjusted the timing and we heard knocking noise, so put it back the way it was. Finally, installed new cat and guess what? I got 11. In your case, adjust the timing. I think it'll fix it. BTW, intake cleaning with Seafoam should help too. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but someone said adding alcohol or water will clean up O2 sensor and decrease HC reading little bit... People say MX-3 O2 sensor should last forever, so I didn't bother to replace it.
94_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
O2 sensor can easily go bad. Running rich can destroy them as well as a small amount coolant in the gas. 02 sensors, like anything, don't last forever.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
94_240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
94_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra
O2 sensor can easily go bad. Running rich can destroy them as well as a small amount coolant in the gas. 02 sensors, like anything, don't last forever.
I know. I replaced O2 sensor on my S13, but went to Mazda dealership and everyone said they never sold MX-3 O2 sensor to anyone, and not to worry about it. It was odd...
94_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Kwick Silver SF
Leaky Injector

Kwick Silver SF is a well-known jackass
Drop everything and buy a bottle of Blue Sky!! check some of my old posts, or check out this website http://www.blueskycleanair.com/ we sell this here at my shop, so stop by and check it out, its only $20.00 and if you dont pass, we will give you your money back with proof of Failing emissions!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 PM   #13
SpdElemts
Zilvia Junkie

would anyone know if i can lower my hydrocarbons if i set up an SAFC to make my engine run leaner?

-Jeff Wolfson
Old 08-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Excessive hydrocarbons means unburnt fuel, not that your engine is necessarily running too rich , just that the fuel is not being ignited which could mean ignition system problems.

You obviously have a engine problem and by attempting to cover it up is not really helping. As long as a engine has had regular maitenance done and no matter what the milage...to a point, it should be able to pass emmisions.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote