Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Mitsubayati
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
Mitsubayati is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mitsubayati
Gear Box Options for RB26 w/ 700hp

Background: I've searched for quite some time and haven't really been getting the answers I want. I plan to build up an RB26 single turbo setup capable of producing around 700hp. This setup will be placed in an S13 and be used strictly for drifting.

My Dilemma: I want to use something like a Jerico 4 speed or G-force transmission but finding someone who makes an adapter for them is close to impossible. I've researched transmissions that people do use currently and the hot seller seems to be an RB25 gear box outfitted with PPG dog cut gears. That's all well and dandy, but I have issues with that.

First off, PPG gear sets cost more than a Jerico transmission. Second, the RB25 transmission is huge. I know I'm going to be removing the transmission a lot and having a lighter more compact and easily rebuild-able transmission would be more of what I'm interested in.

My Question: Can anyone help me find or know of a local shop or a company that can make a gear box/gear box adapter for my application?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
genericforumname
Zilvia Member

Location: Florida, where we prove that shit does in fact run down hill
Trader Rating: (0)
genericforumname is making a name for him/her selfgenericforumname is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
should I even ask why you are concerned about the cost of a transmision when you are going to be building a 700 hp rb26? that makes no sense to me. coming from all the wrx guys PPG sets are one of the best single mods you can do, not only will they handle power but you get extra function out of being able to flat shift it also. if you really want to go with a 4 speed (really?) then any competent machine shop should be able to make something work if you get them the dimensions necessary for modding the bellhousing or an adapter to do the same. who knows, maybe MazWorx could make something, seeing as how they make conversion bellhousings for several other combinations.
genericforumname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
ShadowDrifter
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (55)
ShadowDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
You DICK LOL JK im doing the same build only im going for around 600 good luck becasue im looking for the same options
Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Look into PAR gears. They are a bit more affordable than PPG.
PAR Catalog

Quaife also makes gear sets.
Anything else will need to be custom.

Apparently Hollinger is 'the best.' Also the costliest.
http://www.holinger.com.au
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
why not use a z33 trans or z32 trans and adapter?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Rb25 gearbox will work. Get some gear sets and a good clutch

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
R33E8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
R33E8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericforumname View Post
should I even ask why you are concerned about the cost of a transmision when you are going to be building a 700 hp rb26? that makes no sense to me.
It's not terribly expensive to make that much power... All you need is a larger turbo and more fuel.. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of the transmission is equal or greater than what was spent on the engine.. I have a fully built KA setup to make around 7-800whp.. The gearset alone from PPG cost more than what I put into my entire setup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
why not use a z33 trans or z32 trans and adapter?
The z32 trans uses the same internals as the RB25 trans. I've heard that that rb25 trans actually comes with better syncros..
R33E8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Depending on the exact setup, making an RB to (whatever) adapter plate shouldn't be too hard for a competent machine shop. You should be able to take both bell housings to a shop, have them plot the critical geometry (ie bolt/pin holes) and then have them knock out an adapter plate.

Or the alternative is that they cut two bell housings and weld them into one. Either way contact some local machine shops and see if they're willing to give it a shot.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Flex plate and clutch would be the hardest part. The bell housing is the easiest part

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
OS Giken gear sets into the RB26 transmission, modded to RWD configuration by cutting out the transfer case and welding a plate on the housing. Be the last transmission you'd need considering guys are pushing over 1K hp on that with no issue.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
OutToWinPAHC
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
OutToWinPAHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
Someone had used a tremec TKO unit on a RB recently, I believe it was a 5 speed model. From what I remember spec made him a custom flywheel, and the crank was machined to fit the roller bearing to match the trans shaft as well as a custom bell.
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try to talk to (driftsquid) Jake Jones ! He's running a g-force gsr on is rb25 !

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Heh if he crying about ppg he need look at os giken stuff. Although that would be badass.