Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Drive

"Drive" you said
With tears down your face
I've got to see the stars
Is that so hard?

So I just watched the movie "Drive" with the Gosling kid. I never saw previews for it at the theaters - and really didn't expect much. The only reason I rented it was because my GF wanted to see Gosling.

The movie was absolutely incredible. A complete rush of the emotional senses being teased with fantastic visuals, amazing music and a consent "tension in the air" feeling. The movie is just stunning - the total lack of dialog actual speak volumes and just heightens everything to the next level.

A huge must see and no doubt one of the best car movies in the last 10 years.

I'm not posting the trailer - since the trailer really gives off the wrong vibe for what you are getting into. If you loved Bullet, Cowboy Bebop or Sin this movie is for you - if your expecting "Transporter" go fuck your self.

Opening Credits - no spoilers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtC64YfY61A
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
It was pretty slow for me, thought he'd do more "driving".

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I'd so rock the shit out of a jacket like that. HA!

Still haven't seen it. The wifey has been bugging me about it though.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great start

sure goes downhill after that first 10 minutes

then gets cool around the end for a little bit

6.5/10
Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Some people complain it wasn't "Fast and the Furious" enough, those people missed the point of the movie.
I loved it.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Have yet to see it, but OP, it sounds like you watched this on mushrooms, lol.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
lawrenceyang
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lawrenceyang is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I dont eat, i dont sleep, i do nothing but think of yooooooooou
lawrenceyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
lawrenceyang
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lawrenceyang is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
*also doesnt qualify as a car movie imho
lawrenceyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceyang View Post
*also doesnt qualify as a car movie imho
How was Bullet a car movie then?

What exactly is a car movie? All the FNF shit basically have one car race, maybe two.

70% of the movie was in or around cars. This was a Noir flick, not an action-racing movie.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
Some people complain it wasn't "Fast and the Furious" enough, those people missed the point of the movie.
I loved it.
Exactly. As I stated the trailer sucked and if someone wanted it to be a Jason Statham flick - non stop mindless action - they can fuck off.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I assume it's out on DVD now? I've wanted to see this movie since it came out in theaters. can't wait to rent it. And I am NOT expecting F&F or Transporter.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
s13_maJiK
Zilvia Member

s13_maJiK is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought the movie was good. Loved the sound track, Kavinsky, Electric Youth = Win.
s13_maJiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilviaKid View Post
Great start

6.5/10
This was my reaction to it. I don't see why everyone was blown away by it.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
wh0aitznic0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
wh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I wasn't blown away per-se, I was entertained because it wasn't the type of movie I was expecting after seeing previews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
wh0aitznic0 -- has or had a shocker sticker on his car at one point, is asian with a gooey white center

<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Nothing says, 'I'm broke and still trying', like aftermarket steelies.
wh0aitznic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
I assume it's out on DVD now? I've wanted to see this movie since it came out in theaters. can't wait to rent it. And I am NOT expecting F&F or Transporter.
Yes, BlueRay and DVD.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Great start

6.5/10

You are 22 - I wouldn't expect you to be entertained by anything that wasn't directed by Michael Bay.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
You are 22 - I wouldn't expect you to be entertained by anything that wasn't directed by Michael Bay.
yes, put me down because im 5 years younger then you are.

please tell me oh mighty 27 year old, why this movie was the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time then, but use small words so my pathetic, moronic, little brain can understand.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
The movie was only ok imo.

couple great scenes.

The lack of dialog is completely unrealalistic.
The dude comes off as a creepy serial killer just staring at a single mother who just invited him in her home after meeting him.
No woman would do that, and the cool silent type only works in Clive Clussler novels, and is cheesy even then.

Also, some of the coverage could have been better on dialog scenes.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to Quail
About to watch this now. Will report back in 2 hours!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
yes, put me down because im 5 years younger then you are.

please tell me oh mighty 27 year old, why this movie was the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time then, but use small words so my pathetic, moronic, little brain can understand.
5 years might as well be a lifetime. I consider it a generational gap that boils down to to a technology divide. When I went to high school there was no Facebook/Myspace. There was no bloging, twittering and nobody had cellphones. Anime was far from mainstream and this thing called Game-Cube was coming out soon!

Maybe I'm generalizing but I am becoming increasingly frustrated with "Gen Facebook" and their constant need of attention, self-gratification and entertainment. They refuse to actually invest themselves into anything and except everything to be laid out.

Video games must be easy and require no learning curve - hell the game is now expected to teach you how to play. Movies must be mega action flicks and retellings of stories we all already know. Forget anything beyond the surface of "OMFG DID YOU SEE THAT ROBOT DESTROY THE OTHER ONE!"

Music feels like its being ever more dominated by a handful of artists and don't get me started on reality TV. Kids expect their cars to fawned over by the internet community even though they cut every corner possible. They dump piles of Chinese garbage parts into their shit boxes using web forum FAQs and walkthroughs and bitch when things break and then expect the internet to tell them exactly how to fix it.

The movie was defiantly a retro throwback. It is reminiscent of films from the 50's and 60's when directors did not have CG effects at their disposal or had to entertain audiences with short attention spans.

More and more films are under 90 minutes while in the past exceeding 120 was not uncommon.

This film invokes memories of Bullet, Vanishing Point, Two Lane Blacktop and countless westerns. There are no one-liner zingers or idiotic Johnny Depp humor scenes. The action happens without warning, is violent, shocking and brief -

The dialog was kept to a minium. We don't need toLISTEN to how much Gosling likes the girl or hear them share stories and favorite foods to know they dig each other. We are able to see it and quickly realize what is going on. The movie is vary visual, and what you need audibly is mainly provided with the fantastic soundtrack.

Eric made a good point, the lack of dialog in some scenes made them too stiff and felt unrealistic, but I feel overall it worked. *SPOILER* When she tells Gosling her husband is coming back - that was perfect - he just stared off ahead.

As for the how Gosling was a bit creepy - *spoiler* well he is a creep!! He clearly has pent up rage as you find out toward the end, your "average" person is not going be a "badass" like that - they would have ran to the cops or tried to get out of town. This guy was wound up way to tight.

The cars - fantastic. Clearly this guy was not baller, so to having him cruising in a Chevelle, GTO or Skyline would be stupid. A clean '73 Malibu was a great sleeper and fit the atmosphere perfectly. The Silk Jacket, driving gloves, glasses, neo-disco music, pink font - MCM/Decco landscape.

So yes, I saw your comments as "wtf this was not gunz blazing, cars exploding sexy girls from end to start!?!!" There is nothing wrong with criticizing the movie (See Eric's comments), but to expect it to be something it was never met to be and then hate it for that is simply stupid. I pointed this out in the very beginning with my comments about "Transporter" and "Fucking one's self".
Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

i dont know what the fuck your ranting is about or how facebook has anything to do with me not thinking this movie is the bees knees. i called you out on being an ageist asshole and you completely reaffirmed that with your little rant instead of talking about the movie.

so youll agree the dialog is bad, the characters are unrealistic and unrelatable, and that the best part of the movie is a good car selection and and soundtrack.

cool so you pretty much agree its a 6.5 out of 10 movie then?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
i dont know what the fuck your ranting is about or how facebook has anything to do with me not thinking this movie is the bees knees. i called you out on being an ageist asshole and you completely reaffirmed that with your little rant instead of talking about the movie.

so youll agree the dialog is bad, the characters are unrealistic and unrelatable, and that the best part of the movie is a good car selection and and soundtrack.

cool so you pretty much agree its a 6.5 out of 10 movie then?
O_o, attention span to short to read what I posted?

I said ERIC felt that way and it's a valid criticism. I felt it was damn near perfect. I feel the best part of the movie is it's ambiance from start to finish. I would give it 10/10 and potentially the best new movie of the last 3 years.

As for the rant, you ASKED me to explain the difference of 5 years and I did.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
4DOOR_LIFE
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
4DOOR_LIFE will become famous soon enough4DOOR_LIFE will become famous soon enough4DOOR_LIFE will become famous soon enough4DOOR_LIFE will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
The movie was only ok imo.

couple great scenes.

The lack of dialog is completely unrealalistic.
The dude comes off as a creepy serial killer just staring at a single mother who just invited him in her home after meeting him.
No woman would do that, and the cool silent type only works in Clive Clussler novels, and is cheesy even then.

Also, some of the coverage could have been better on dialog scenes.
definitely agree with this. I wasn't expecting heavy action, but I wasn't expecting such little dialogue either. He was coming off a little awkward at some parts, but overall I think the movie was ok. The cinematography was great! ! !
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
(secretly am laughing at the Michael Bay comment, its so true)

Generally, If someone gives an opinion on a movie, I then ask them what they thought of Transformers. If they loved any of the transformers movies, I generally void the previous movie critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG-Z6-nFQBo
Old 02-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
O_o, attention span to short to read what I posted?

I said ERIC felt that way and it's a valid criticism. I felt it was damn near perfect. I feel the best part of the movie is it's ambiance from start to finish. I would give it 10/10 and potentially the best new movie of the last 3 years.

As for the rant, you ASKED me to explain the difference of 5 years and I did.
eric is 8 years older then you, im gonna go ahead and say that if your opinion is so much greater then my own, his has got to be the be all and end all for you.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
eric is 8 years older then you, im gonna go ahead and say that if your opinion is so much greater then my own, his has got to be the be all and end all for you.
You are still not understanding what I am saying - its not "years on earth" that makes someone a "Gen Facebook", its the social cultural experience.

Honest question - have you seen Bullet, Vanishing Point or Two Lane Blacktop?

What was your opinion on those films? What did you think of Crank or Transformers?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Corbic, I get you. Its not some trendy over hyped, over acting movie.
And that is a good thing.

Anyone see Cast Away? That is how you determine good acting. The ability to get the point across without saying a thing.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #28
T chop
Zilvia Junkie

T chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enough
I don't see what age has to do with the ability to critique a movie.

Anyway, I though it was good. I would give it around 8/10.... I think the lack of dialogue made the movie better, ya the guy came off awkward but that's how he was supposed to be. I would rather have less dialogue then cheese Jason Statham type lines.

Sometimes less is more.
T chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
DoobieS13
Zilvia Junkie

DoobieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want the jacket. here it is

Original Drive Scorpion Jacket | Ryan Gosling | Drive Jacket

i really love the music in the movie. i liked the story. it has a lot of "feeling".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NWhJcqBjfA
DoobieS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #30
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to Quail
My heart was pounding throughout - I loved that film. The GF was unimpressed.

The soundtrack, suspense and atmosphere made it for me, as well as the over the top violence and imperfect protagonist.