Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there's a time attack event at adams motorsports park on april 7. any other s-chassis guys want to go?
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #32
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
My pleasure!

Since GTA is coming to New Jersey this year, here's some more East coast love from that track:
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park, Lightning course: 1:13.530
    • S14 VQ35DE (~260whp)
    • Toyo RA1 255/40/17 on 17x9
    • 2700 lbs w/ driver
    • No Aero
    • Lap video link
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park, Thunderbolt course, NO Chicane: 1:31.850
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park, Thunderbolt course, Chicane: 1:35.066

I added a lap vid for the Watkins Glen Lap also.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #33
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Chuckwalla CW.
2:09.211

I think i need a more aggressive brake pad...i left a lot on the table here, but my word is that a fun track!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #34
gills
Zilvia Junkie

gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjake View Post
Chuckwalla CW.
2:09.211

I think i need a more aggressive brake pad...i left a lot on the table here, but my word is that a fun track!
What brakes are you running?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #35
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
What brakes are you running?
Hawk HPS. I'm contemplating running their autocross/track pad (HB178N.564). Still somewhat streetable and has a better bite with less brake fade than the HPS pads. They're noisier, and make more dust, but i guess that's the compromise for better performance.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #36
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Hawk HPS. I'm contemplating running their autocross/track pad (HB178N.564). Still somewhat streetable and has a better bite with less brake fade than the HPS pads. They're noisier, and make more dust, but i guess that's the compromise for better performance.
Oh Jesus man, you're not doing yourself any favors! HPS can fade on the street from a couple of highway stops. HP+ are better, but not by much. Do yourself a favor and get dedicated track pads if you're serious and swap them in.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #37
junkyiv
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
junkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Oh Jesus man, you're not doing yourself any favors! HPS can fade on the street from a couple of highway stops. HP+ are better, but not by much. Do yourself a favor and get dedicated track pads if you're serious and swap them in.
I used to run the HP+ pads, predominately for the track, but there was to and from the track driving as well. They were effective with Powerslot rotors and a 135 WHP KA24DE full out on Big Willow and Streets.
junkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #38
junkyiv
Zilvia Junkie

junkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nice
Quote:
there's a time attack event at adams motorsports park on april 7. any other s-chassis guys want to go?
I am tempted.....
Old 03-21-2018, 05:44 AM   #39
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyiv View Post
I used to run the HP+ pads, predominately for the track, but there was to and from the track driving as well. They were effective with Powerslot rotors and a 135 WHP KA24DE full out on Big Willow and Streets.
They are certainly better than HPS, but I remain skeptical based on my own experience in 100's of track hours in my old endurance race car with a basic KA24DE. I used to get DTC-60/30 front/rear split on z32 brakes to suffer from poor pad transfer due to overheating and the car was only 2400lbs race weight.

They wouldn't fade, just pad depositing and cause bad pulsation/judder. Once I ducted the front they were ok, but the rear dtc-30 would still get overworked and smear all over the rotor. HT-10 in the rear fixed that and helped balance the brakes better too.

This all depends on skill level, track and level of commitment, obviously. Seeing that he has an LS swap, and how fast an LS13 can potentially be, HP+ are less than ideal if he wants deceleration performance/consistency to match his acceleration and speed potential.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #40
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I’ll be driving the car to the next event. Peter recommended the DTC-70 pad, but they’re a bit out of my price range, and I don’t want more front bias because I’m keeping the HPS pads in the rear. The car has to make a road trip to Missouri at the end of April, and I want a pad that will be up to the task of Buttonwillow and a 1,500 mile trip. I’m looking at HP+ or the Street Race pad.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #41
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Updated!

I'll just leave this here.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #42
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

I added a lap vid for the Watkins Glen Lap also.
Great driving Gills!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #43
junkyiv
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
This all depends on skill level, track and level of commitment, obviously. Seeing that he has an LS swap, and how fast an LS13 can potentially be, HP+ are less than ideal if he wants deceleration performance/consistency to match his acceleration and speed potential.
Understood and agreed with the amount of available power HP+ are less than ideal. However, given the desire to drive the car on the street without extra noisy and expensive pads they may be the better compromise. Here is where driver experience and skill can make up for the equipment deficiency and make it all work enough to have fun. Shorter slower tracks (like Adams, Grange or even Streets) won't be an issue. Big Willow and Buttonwillow all out with LS1 power will smoke those pads though.

Quote:
I’ll be driving the car to the next event. Peter recommended the DTC-70 pad, but they’re a bit out of my price range, and I don’t want more front bias because I’m keeping the HPS pads in the rear. The car has to make a road trip to Missouri at the end of April, and I want a pad that will be up to the task of Buttonwillow and a 1,500 mile trip. I’m looking at HP+ or the Street Race pad.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #44
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Buttonwillow 13CW

2:06.616 (S13, 2950lbs w/ driver, 400whp, 255/40r17 RS-RR, z32 front and rear brakes, hawk street race pads, no aero)

pretty happy with that for my first time at the track
Old 04-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #45
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Buttonwillow 13CW

2:06.616 (S13, 2950lbs w/ driver, 400whp, 255/40r17 RS-RR, z32 front and rear brakes, hawk street race pads, no aero)

pretty happy with that for my first time at the track
Great job Jake!

looks like car can go faster by losing some weight!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #46
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
Great job Jake!

looks like car can go faster by losing some weight!
I actually will be adding weight in the future. More sound deadening in the trunk area, and probably 2 8" subs, maybe even a half cage. I want to go fast but i also drive my car to the track and i gotta have music!

Btw, how come you've never been out to Buttonwillow?

Last edited by shaggyjake; 04-10-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 04-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #47
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I actually will be adding weight in the future. More sound deadening in the trunk area, and probably 2 8" subs, maybe even a half cage. I want to go fast but i also drive my car to the track and i gotta have music!

Btw, how come you've never been out to Buttonwillow?
haha I see. is it your daily as well? that is a really good lap time for a daily car!

I'm not sure.. I ran into personal things twice before the bw event.. my best time there so far is 2:03 with stock e46 m3 running rs3. hopefully I can get into low 50's with 240 running TDs.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #48
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Quote:
haha I see. is it your daily as well? that is a really good lap time for a daily car!

I'm not sure.. I ran into personal things twice before the bw event.. my best time there so far is 2:03 with stock e46 m3 running rs3. hopefully I can get into low 50's with 240 running TDs.
pretty much. i wanted to keep it worthy of road trips and such.

here's a video of my lap from Buttonwillow. if anyone has any inputs it'd be appreciated. i know i could lose a lot of time with some more experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOsNsqsgPI
Old 04-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #49
junkyiv
Zilvia Junkie

Ran across an old timing slip from November of 2009. Streets of Willow CW 1:32:818 - 1992 S13 hatch, gutted interior (guessing 2600 lbs. w/o driver), factory KA-24DE w/approximately 180,000 miles (maybe 130 whp), AEM "cold" air intake, HotShot header, Megan track series coilovers, 17"x8" 5Zigen FN-01rc with Nexen N9000 225/45/17 tires.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #50
jimcfl

Trader Rating: (0)
jimcfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Roughly 2:30 at VIR full. This video is from 2001 or so. Boltons, shocks/springs, might have had the JWT ECU.

Youtube

Same event, chasing a similarly modded S14
jimcfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #51
jimcfl

Around 1:30 at Roebling Road, also early 2000s, with the extra weight of a passenger. Boltons, shocks/springs, must have had the JWT ECU by this time because it doesn't look like I'm in the speed limiter halfway down the straight.

Youtube
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #52
jimcfl

Around 2:50 at Sebring, Intake/header/exhaust/cams/flywheel/ecu, shocks/springs, race tires of some sort.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #53
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyiv View Post
Ran across an old timing slip from November of 2009. Streets of Willow CW 1:32:818 - 1992 S13 hatch, gutted interior (guessing 2600 lbs. w/o driver), factory KA-24DE w/approximately 180,000 miles (maybe 130 whp), AEM "cold" air intake, HotShot header, Megan track series coilovers, 17"x8" 5Zigen FN-01rc with Nexen N9000 225/45/17 tires.
Updated! Impressive time with N9000 225!
Still tracking this thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcfl View Post
Roughly 2:30 at VIR full. This video is from 2001 or so. Boltons, shocks/springs, might have had the JWT ECU.

Youtube

Same event, chasing a similarly modded S14
Thank you for your contribution jim, Could you tell me little more details about the car? (what shocks/tires/weight/brakes/aero)

There is a small event tomorow @ adams motorsports park if anybody wants to come out!
Old 04-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #54
junkyiv
Zilvia Junkie

[QUOTE=battery1882;6274197]Updated! Impressive time with N9000 225!
Still tracking this thing?

Unfortunately that car ended it's life a year later at ASB-X......
Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #55
jimcfl

Quote:
Thank you for your contribution jim, Could you tell me little more details about the car? (what shocks/tires/weight/brakes/aero)
Full interior, weight was in the 2900s with driver. Suspension techniques springs, KYB AGX shocks, Toyo RA1 tires, stock brakes with track pads (mostly Hawk Blacks or Blues) and air ducts, no aero.

With intake/header/exhaust/cams/ECU the car ran around 160 whp on dynos.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #56
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Watkins Glen: 2:08.559

S14 VQ35DE & CD009 swap (~260whp)
255/40/17 Falken RT615K (not the new +)
17x10 RPF1's
2700lbs w/ driver
No aero
600/500 springs (no rear ARB)
3.69 final drive

Video coming soon.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #57
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcfl View Post
Full interior, weight was in the 2900s with driver. Suspension techniques springs, KYB AGX shocks, Toyo RA1 tires, stock brakes with track pads (mostly Hawk Blacks or Blues) and air ducts, no aero.

With intake/header/exhaust/cams/ECU the car ran around 160 whp on dynos.
Thank you! Let me know the tire size too when you have a chance!

Quote:
Watkins Glen: 2:08.559

S14 VQ35DE & CD009 swap (~260whp)
255/40/17 Falken RT615K (not the new +)
17x10 RPF1's
2700lbs w/ driver
No aero
600/500 springs (no rear ARB)
3.69 final drive

Video coming soon.

updated! congrats on shaving 1.5 sec!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #58
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
updated! congrats on shaving 1.5 sec!
Yea, stoked about that. Thank you!

No power added either. Changes were different dampers, new spring rates, brand new transmission, wider wheels, and different final drive. Oh and less sticky tires (RT615K vs RT615K+)!

Change that in the OP
Old 04-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #59
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Yea, stoked about that. Thank you!

No power added either. Changes were different dampers, new spring rates, brand new transmission, wider wheels, and different final drive. Oh and less sticky tires (RT615K vs RT615K+)!

Change that in the OP
I see that you have MCS, what spring rates are you running?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #60
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I see that you have MCS, what spring rates are you running?
Yes! I'm on the 2 way remote reservoir setup. I think I shared my rates in my previous post. I'm at 600/500 now.