Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #61
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockasfuhs14 View Post
Did you read this thread?
Did you? Its a been a while since I've looked for this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni jake View Post
I've looked for the same thing a while ago, and with little information on the 6-speed I couldn't find where to go.
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #62
stockasfuhs14

Trader Rating: (0)
stockasfuhs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is not a thread for ppl to request info and other ppl to say "just get a 5sp" ... This is the 6 SPEED INFO THREAD. Meaning if someone asks a question and you don't have the answer, "just get a 5 speed" is not the right response. And for your info, I have a six speed already.. Sorry you didn't.
stockasfuhs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #63
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockasfuhs14 View Post
This is not a thread for ppl to request info and other ppl to say "just get a 5sp" ... This is the 6 SPEED INFO THREAD. Meaning if someone asks a question and you don't have the answer, "just get a 5 speed" is not the right response. And for your info, I have a six speed already.. Sorry you didn't.
Don't be a chode, sit back and relax, no one is knocking you. You misunderstood my intention to gain reason out of you. Do what you want, you are gonna be terribly butt hurt when you find the price differences to rebuild a 6 speed compared to a 5 speed. When you find a place, share your info. I had a friend in Japan check years ago and it was laughable when you convert yen and add shipping. I honestly have no idea where you can find rebuild kits for 6-speeds in the states. Try calling Touge Factory?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #64
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
for anyone wanting a complete 6 speed swap

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51031...o-dss-s15.html
s14fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #65
tooquick240

tooquick240 is an unknown quantity at this point
-I previously had an s15 engine/tranny with nistune/cams/injectors and dyno'd 303whp and 304wtq.
-16lbs boost stock turbo.
-tuned by Martin from Zfever in Tampa, FL.
-The 6 speed handled the torque no problems.
-Never drifted but did go to drag strip 3-4 times with about 3 passes each time.
-Minor issue of getting into reverse, but resolved issue with solid tranny mount.
-car was stolen Oct last year
-Loved the trans so much decided to mate it to my l26 in '74 datsun Z

-If you want to see my build thread on the old fairlady type
"s30 with s15 6 speed" into google

-Should be finished with build in mid May this year.

-Dont bash this Trans unless you bash gears!
tooquick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #66
racinjayson

racinjayson is an unknown quantity at this point
I said I was going to do this last year and I have. I've successfully shortened and mated a six speed trans. to light 17lb clutchmaster fx700 clutch for all other sr's and I've found out some interesting things while doing it. The people who think that the six speed is weak have no idea what their taking about. I had both 5 and 6 speed tranny's apart and sitting side by side. The truth is that the gears are the same size. The only reason people think the tranny is weak is because of the behemoth of a 40lb dual mass flywheel in front of it. It's simple physics, take a 40lb rotational mass spinning at say 5000 rpms and then try to slow it down with one transmission gear, say 2nd and what do you get, no 2nd gear. The reason the 5 speeds hold up to the abuse better is quite simply due to the light weight flywheel's available to it. I solved this problem and I'm going to make more if anyone is interested. I'll be selling them on eBay in the coming months so stay tuned. Mind you it's no easy task and requires a lot of calculations to make it right, but when it's finished you can mate the 6 speed tranny to any sr20 clutch available. I will upload some pics once I get back home to my computer.
racinjayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #67
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjayson View Post
i said i was going to do this last year and i have. I've successfully shortened and mated a six speed trans. To light 17lb clutchmaster fx700 clutch for all other sr's and i've found out some interesting things while doing it. the people who think that the six speed is weak have no idea what their taking about. i had both 5 and 6 speed tranny's apart and sitting side by side. the truth is that the gears are the same size. The only reason people think the tranny is weak is because of the behemoth of a 40lb dual mass flywheel in front of it. it's simple physics, take a 40lb rotational mass spinning at say 5000 rpms and then try to slow it down with one transmission gear, say 2nd and what do you get, no 2nd gear. the reason the 5 speeds hold up to the abuse better is quite simply due to the light weight flywheel's available to it. i solved this problem and i'm going to make more if anyone is interested. I'll be selling them on ebay in the coming months so stay tuned. mind you it's no easy task and requires a lot of calculations to make it right, but when it's finished you can mate the 6 speed tranny to any sr20 clutch available. I will upload some pics once i get back home to my computer.

no.

No.

You're wrong.

So you created a flywheel shim?

And no.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #68
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Thank you for the info in this thread, it's actually funny how similar this trans is with my G35 (350Z) 6mt. Dual mass flywheel, etc.

Waaaay back in 2001-2002 timeframe, when I was working on my first SR swap, somebody somewhere busted his 6-speed and the "weak" rumors seem to have been parroted by forums ever since. Plus S15 swaps were $7-8k back then so "too expensive" also came into play.

Recently got another 240, glad to see things have progressed since 2005.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #69
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
b4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
dam great job on the post
b4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #70
racinjayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni jake View Post
no.

No.

You're wrong.

So you created a flywheel shim?

And no.
No shim idiot, obviously you no nothing about this trans. You can't shim a flywheel out and still have your starter engage the ring gear. I physically shortened the bell housing and relocated the pilot bearing into the end of the crankshaft. I have had these transmission completely apart and sitting side by side and I'm telling you the gears are the same size. The 6 speed is 5% narrower and that's it. It's the inertia of the flywheel that snaps gears. Instead of the load being transferred back into the motor and bogging it down, it simply keeps spinning and strips off gears in the trans. It's simple physics. You haven't done it and you don't know, so stay off this thread, negative Nancy.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #71
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

^^^LOL this faggot

Last edited by oni jake; 09-03-2020 at 12:05 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #72
racinjayson

Here are some pics I took of the transformation.

IMG_20130530_170601.jpgNew pilot bearing in the end of the crank shaft, relocated from the flywheel. The input shaft is not long enough to locate the pilot bushing in the standard location inside the crankshaft. Pilot bearing is something we found at the local bearing shop.

IMG_20130530_155408.jpg Mocking up the transmission without the bell housing to figure out the amount that needs to be removed.

IMG_20130604_181257.jpg No going back from here. Cutting the bell housing before getting it machined to a perfect face once again. Notice the jig I built to hold the bell housing straight. If I start doing a lot of these, then I will be using a band saw for the initial cut.

IMG_20130609_182551.jpg Final step, installing the trans onto the motor.
It all really worked out very well and I'm so happy to be rid of that stupid huge dual mass flywheel!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #73
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

or you can just run a nismo lightweight flywheel for the 6mt lol
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #74
racinjayson

You people just don't get it. Yes, the NISMO flywheel is the lightest flywheel you can get for this transmission, but it still weighs in at almost 14lbs and cost by itself almost a 1000 bucks. You can get a fidanza 9.5lbs flywheel and clutch assembly for under 500 bucks all day long on eBay which puts you under or right at 20lbs total. You'll never be able to beat that in the standard transmission form. My total clutch assembly weighs just 17lbs which if I do the math correctly is a mere 3lbs heavier than your NISMO flywheel. Beat that, oh you can't.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #75
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
You people just don't get it. Yes, the NISMO flywheel is the lightest flywheel you can get for this transmission, but it still weighs in at almost 14lbs and cost by itself almost a 1000 bucks. You can get a fidanza 9.5lbs flywheel and clutch assembly for under 500 bucks all day long on eBay which puts you under or right at 20lbs total. You'll never be able to beat that in the standard transmission form. My total clutch assembly weighs just 17lbs which if I do the math correctly is a mere 3lbs heavier than your NISMO flywheel. Beat that, oh you can't.
Ive been quite happy driving around with the OEM flywheel/clutch combo. A little weight and slip to keep the trans alive forever.
Let these guys keep telling themselves the six speed is weak; it brings prices down and we can stock up on them while they last
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #76
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
i understand what your saying its just alot of work

and i can beat that i got my full 100% complete 6 speed swap with nismo flywheel for 400$ if you think about it thats 100$ less then u paid for your clutch setup

dont gotta get so hostile

we all love 6mt here
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #77
racinjayson

Not really all that much work. Now that I've done, I could do it in just a couple of hours less the time on the mill which is only about a half hour if you cut it correctly. Turns out, they've been doing this over in Aussie land for awhile now. Guess I'm not as cool as I thought.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #78
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Yes, the NISMO flywheel is the lightest flywheel you can get for this transmission, but it still weighs in at almost 14lbs and cost by itself almost a 1000 bucks. You can get a fidanza 9.5lbs flywheel and clutch assembly for under 500 bucks all day long on eBay which puts you under or right at 20lbs total. You'll never be able to beat that in the standard transmission form. My total clutch assembly weighs just 17lbs which if I do the math correctly is a mere 3lbs heavier than your NISMO flywheel. Beat that, oh you can't.
Sometimes you want the rotating mass to help with drivability, especially in a daily driver car. I for one like not having to rev and slip the piss out of the clutch to get moving because there is no mass help move the car.

Lighter is not always better, unless you're using this is a completely racing only application.

My twin disk setup from Exedy on the 5MT is 35lbs total weight. The clutch setup I had prior was 34lbs. I'm sure clutch/flywheel weight combos play a role in the destruction of tranmissions, but if a transmission is rated for X torque, no matter how light the rotating assembly gets infront of it, you're not going to make it any "stronger".

Sweet project though. I always wanted the 6MT, but it was always more work than I wanted to do to have a true 6spd and working speedo.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #79
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I would like to add some info to this thread.

NISMO sells a speedo gear mounting kit to move the VSS from the differential to the transmission tail section. It places the VSS in the same spot as it would be in a S13 or S14. The kit comes with everything needed except the speed ring gear.
NISMO Silvia Reinforced Cross 6-Speed Transmission - Speedometer Gear Mounting Kit

No more s15 diffs and signal converters!

Enjoy.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #80
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
It is something like this...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374096273.743276.jpg

My Questions are:
I already have the housing extension on the 6MT, so now where can I get a speedo drive gear from? From KA 5MT? Or SR 5MT? Looks like its not included in the Nismo kit.

The ball bearing and snap ring is it the same parts from the KA 5MT/SR 5 MT?

Would the s14 speed sensor works accurately with the s15 cluster speedometer?
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #81
racinjayson

You can use the nylon gear out of what tranny your using the vss out of, but you'll have to get a big unibit to drill it out to fit over the larger output shaft of the s15 tranny. I did this and it worked great. Oh you'll have to find a small ballbearing to lock the gear on too. The s13 ball bearing is too big.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #82
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Quote:
You can use the nylon gear out of what tranny your using the vss out of, but you'll have to get a big unibit to drill it out to fit over the larger output shaft of the s15 tranny. I did this and it worked great. Oh you'll have to find a small ballbearing to lock the gear on too. The s13 ball bearing is too big.
Awesome thanks! Should I just buy the snap ring anywhere as long as i have the shaft diameter for it and i think i might need two right?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #83
racinjayson

Yep, two snap rings, although I only used the front because the fit was so tight and the gear was too wide to get the back one in. So, if you want to use both, you'll have to narrow the nylon gear a bit, but as tight as it was after boring it out, there's no way it was going anywhere. I had to use a crescent wrench and hammer to tap it into place. Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #84
S13GG

Trader Rating: (1)
S13GG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3v1Ls14 View Post
The 6 speed gearbox uses same yoke as an RB auto box if anybody didnt realise this
and the S-chassis auto yoke...

haven't measured the case lengths 6MT vs AT though
S13GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #85
racinjayson

Yes, you have to knock off the oil slinger on the auto yoke (two little welds on either side, a cutoff wheel, and a small hammer takes care of it), but other that that the driveline fit perfect. Not sure about the length of the auto trans, but I know the six speed is shorter than the ka 5 speed. I'm not positive about the numbers but I think it's around 30"s 6spd, 33"s 5spd in length.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #86
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

S15 SR with 6MT and diff. bolts on to s14, but how about the S15 stock drive shaft?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #87
racinjayson

Don't know anything about the stock s15 drive line, didn't get one with my swap motor, but I would assume it is the exact same as the s13 auto drive line length and all save the oil slinger.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #88
S13GG

anyone able to help with some part #'s? (6speed) I think I have them but unverified...

shifter control housing 32515-89F00
throw out bearing 30502-69F10
throw out bearing carrier

sources;

328 - transmission shift control (unit) for Silvia S15 Nissan Silvia - Genuine parts

REPAIR PARTS | Products | EXEDY RACING CLUTCH
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #89
S13GG

Nissan Release Bearing and Sleeve Set'

http://www.tomeipowered-usa.com/usa/...rp_2011oct.xls
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #90
S13GG

does the transmission plate (between block/bell housing) remain the same 5 vs 6 speed?

will I require S15 part or will my S13 part work the same....

I've searched, with no luck leading me to believe its unecessary...