Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clicking / Ticking Noise.. Possibly arching from plugs?

Hey guys,

I hear this weird ticking noise when my car idles, it clicks quicker when rpms increase but only so a certain point... like 2500.

I googled a crap load and thought maybe it was arching from my plugs. I took all the plugs out and cleaned them, checked them for proper gapping and secured everything back down. It still seems to click. I have even messed with my TPS thinking it was something to do with that.

I am running NGK BRK7E gapped at .028

Is this normal? Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's typical for a car with vtec.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known
I have an sr20. Is that typical then too?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Beijing_Raccoon
Leaky Injector

Beijing_Raccoon is an unknown quantity at this point
^Yep.
You didn't even list what car or engine, so the best that can be assumed is something with vtec.
Beijing_Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Can you write out the pattern in which it ticks? I'll look it up in my Nissan manual once I know the pattern.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Can you write out the pattern in which it ticks? I'll look it up in my Nissan manual once I know the pattern.
O I don't think I could figure that out. It happens too fast and you can't really pin point exactly where it's coming from.. like which coil pack, etc.

Is it possible that it could be coming from one of the cylinders. Would it be dumb to try and disconnect 1 coil pack at a time to see if it stop the noise or would that cause more problems?

I can try and upload a video when I get a chance

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

No no no no I need the pattern spelled out. If you post a video then I would have to inerpret the numbers clicking instead of you, and only the true owner can recognize the pattern.

You can try to disconnect the coil packs but you can never disconnect the coilpack in a consecutive direction: example of what I mean. Disconnect cool pack, reconnect coilpack, disconnect coilpack to the right of first coilpack I disconnected, now I can not disconnect a coil pack to the right of the second coilpack because that ruins the pattern so you have to disconnect to the left.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html

Done.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Looks expensive LOL

Old 07-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus4plus0eq6 View Post
Looks expensive LOL

I just clicked the link... my bad... 4 bucks hah

Old 07-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
No no no no I need the pattern spelled out. If you post a video then I would have to inerpret the numbers clicking instead of you, and only the true owner can recognize the pattern.

You can try to disconnect the coil packs but you can never disconnect the coilpack in a consecutive direction: example of what I mean. Disconnect cool pack, reconnect coilpack, disconnect coilpack to the right of first coilpack I disconnected, now I can not disconnect a coil pack to the right of the second coilpack because that ruins the pattern so you have to disconnect to the left.
Sorry for my Noobness but how would I go about getting this pattern?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
cameronfaley

cameronfaley is an unknown quantity at this point
On a different story excluding spark plugs or coils... A possible clicking/ticking noise could be a lifter tick. But this early on i wouldn't specifically pinpoint that as your problem.
cameronfaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronfaley View Post
On a different story excluding spark plugs or coils... A possible clicking/ticking noise could be a lifter tick. But this early on i wouldn't specifically pinpoint that as your problem.
Thanks. I'll do some research on that and keep it in back of my mind

Old 07-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
cameronfaley

cameronfaley is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah no problem! Good luck to you!
cameronfaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What motor is this again? S14 VTC? It's your VTC cam gear. You need to replace it.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
What motor is this again? S14 VTC? It's your VTC cam gear. You need to replace it.
Ya it's a zenki s14 sr20. You've had this problem before? Can't be fixed, just replace the cam gear?

EDIT: I just watch some youtube videos, and the noise I am getting is no where near as loud as the ones in these videos. Its not a rattle. It literally sounds like a small arching noise.

Does not sound like the VCT rattle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHfdF0aLUrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95qdoK44zQg
Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #17
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
hmm...possibly a collapsed lifter? They can range in loudness depending on how much fluid is left in the lifter.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #18
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Can you take audio of the ticking? It may just be your injectors...
Old 07-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #19
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Here is a video I took of it. I increased the rpm probably no higher than 1500. You can really hear the noise at the end.

Let me know if the link doesn't work - Video
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #20
chancelton

chancelton is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a weird tick....doesn't sound like injectors or like it's in the motor either. Good luck with that
chancelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelton View Post
That's a weird tick....doesn't sound like injectors or like it's in the motor either. Good luck with that
Great helpful post. Keep posting uselessly to get that post count up, idiot.

It's hard to say what exactly it is. I would say it's more of a faint tapping sound than a tick/click. If you want something to do, check your valve train. Make sure your lifters are bled and the shims are within spec. A bearing on the front of the motor might be going bad(I.e. Water pump, tensioner). There are a lot of things this could be. Replace your plugs, if they have a brown trace mark on the ceramic, they are bad.

I honestly don't think it's anything to cause alarm or worry. These motors seem to have a lot of random noises.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #22
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

It's hard to say what exactly it is. I would say it's more of a faint tapping sound than a tick/click. If you want something to do, check your valve train. Make sure your lifters are bled and the shims are within spec. A bearing on the front of the motor might be going bad(I.e. Water pump, tensioner). There are a lot of things this could be. Replace your plugs, if they have a brown trace mark on the ceramic, they are bad.

I honestly don't think it's anything to cause alarm or worry. These motors seem to have a lot of random noises.
Ya thanks for your help. The car seems to drive fine. I do have a new water pump that I could throw on. I'll mess around with it. At first I was really concerned, but now I am over it lol
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #23
chancelton

chancelton is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
actually, it was helpful as I stated that I did not believe it to be in the engine or an injector. process of elimination. i dont give a fuck what my post count is, you on the other hand are the "post whore" fucking troll
chancelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #24
burnsauto
Post Whore!

I'd get a stethoscope and at least look into it. Sometimes you can catch a little problem before it develops into a big one with a tool like that.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #25
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
I'd get a stethoscope and at least look into it. Sometimes you can catch a little problem before it develops into a big one with a tool like that.
Thats a good point. I will try and pick one up. thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #26
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
actually, it was helpful as I stated that I did not believe it to be in the engine or an injector. process of elimination. i dont give a fuck what my post count is, you on the other hand are the "post whore" fucking troll
Wow, another educated response, you're on a roll pal.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #27
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Wow, another educated response, you're on a roll pal.
If you don't have anything nice to say
Old 07-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #28
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
If you don't have anything nice to say
Yeah, yeah...

Try unplugging your VTC solenoid, it's the red plug right next to the throttle body coming out of the head.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #29
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
i dont give a fuck what my post count is, you on the other hand are the "post whore" fucking troll

Lol. He's a "post whore" who joined at the end of 2005.

Lol, such a post whore, fucking troll!

Sorry, I'm just trolling.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #30
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yeah, yeah...

Try unplugging your VTC solenoid, it's the red plug right next to the throttle body coming out of the head.
I'll give that a try and get back to you. I think I did that once while it was running and it just died... can't remember