Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Oil pan issues - SR

OK, S13 SR20DET.

I've been running an Ebay ripoff Greddy oil pan for several years, no problems, except that the casting is thicker than it should be with the result that it doesn't hold as much as I think it should.

Two years ago I tried a Tomei pan, but for the life of me could not keep it from leaking at the flange. I installed it four times, no luck. Always applied RTV in the pattern and thickness dicated by the FSM, always torqued the bolts in the order dictated by the FSM. Returned it and went back to the Freddy.

Last week I took delivery of a Moroso pan, thinking that maybe the steel Tomei pan just couldn't conform enough to the mating surface of the engine. After all, the stock pan and the Freddy pan had never leaked, right?

Well, I just got done installing the Moroso pan for the second time, and it too leaks at the flange. Same damn thing. I even followed a slightly different regimen with the sealant that was recommended to me by 240SXmotoring (who sold me the pan), involving sealant on both the pan and the engine, and waiting 24 hours before filling with oil, and it still didn't work.

So here are my questions - first, is there some property of red RTV that makes it less sticky than gray? I know the FSM calls for gray, but I always figured that red is just the same stuff rated for a higher temp, and I've used it successfully on everything but the Tomei and the Moroso pans. It's sealing my water necks, valve cover, and I used it on the Freddy pan and the stock pan. But is gray stickier? Will gray RTV solve this issue?

And second - I know I know I know that RTV is the sealant of choice, but I also know that plenty of cars out there use some kind of gasket on the oil pan. Does any company make one for the RWD SR?

I am both fed up and out of time to screw with this any longer; I have too much other work to do on the car in the next week or so to lose another day (or more) messing with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I had to install my Moroso twice on my S13 blacktop. The first time I let it dry for 24 hours and it leaked. I redid it the following day waiting an hour, but I used even more RTV.

I sort of followed the directions on the package of the RTV when I put it on the second time. I put some on the pan and placed the pan on the engine. I then proceeded to tighten the nuts until some of the RTV came out. Came back later and torqued it to 7Nm. No leaks.

I used Ultra Black RTV Maximum Oil Resistance if that matters
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Dragging this back up. I am still fighting with this Moroso pan. No matter what I do it still leaks, though I've managed to get the leak down to a pinhole.

1. I KNOW the pan is straight - it's a quality part anyway.
2. I KNOW the mating surface on the engine is OK.
3. I KNOW both parts were clean and free of old gasket material.
4. I've used two different types of RTV in several different ways - drying time, bead size, surrounding bolt holes, using two beads of sealer instead of one, putting sealer on both surfaces, etc.

This sumbitch is still leaking, a tiny bit. I would REALLY like to try a gasket if one is available, despite the fact Nissan doesn't call for one.

Does ANYONE know of a gasket for the lower oil pan on an S13 SR20DET engine, either here or in Japan?

Any help appreciated. I've been dealing with this since July and I'm sick of it.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
ricroc636

Trader Rating: (0)
ricroc636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i used the copper orange silicone works like a charm no leaks at all. i have the ebay freddy oil pan and when i had to install it was hitting something and not lining up perfectly so i had to take off the oil catch pan (the piece that surrounds the oil pickup) and trim a lil corner off so the freddy would sit properly and put the orange silicone on both surfaces and bolted down and it never leaks
ricroc636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Drft_S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drft_S14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownDrft_S14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownDrft_S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
go to an automotive store and look for " the right stuff " its made by permatex and it works wonders, oh make sure u go around the bolt holes too !! good luck man
Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^^^^ right stuff is where its at
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Last time I sealed it (Thurs) I ran TWO beads around the flange - one on the inside, one to the outside - AND surrounded each bolt hole with a circle of RTV.

What makes The Right STuff better than gray RTV? Just trying to find out here.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Not You
Leaky Injector

Not You is an unknown quantity at this point
You can make your own gasket if you want and then RTV on top of that. They sell that gasket material at AutoZone. Try that and then tighten your oil pan down snug, let it dry, and then snug it down some more. Sometimes with RTV you can get bubbles that dont come up until its got pressure.
Not You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Not You
Leaky Injector

Not You is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, and those cast oil pans look cool and stuff but if you hit somthing, instead of just denting like a normal oil pan, it shatters... Good choice on the Moroso!
Not You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
Drft_S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drft_S14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownDrft_S14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownDrft_S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
to tell u the truth i have no idea hahaha, weve been using it with all our jobs and it hasnt failed, well i mean Permatex made is so its good ish haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittmeister View Post
Last time I sealed it (Thurs) I ran TWO beads around the flange - one on the inside, one to the outside - AND surrounded each bolt hole with a circle of RTV.

What makes The Right STuff better than gray RTV? Just trying to find out here.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:35 AM   #11
R3cK
Zilvia Member

R3cK is an unknown quantity at this point
damn tomei pan with the plain surface also leaks on mine >.<
god damn. thinking about going back to a greddy
R3cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:10 AM   #12
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Funny, I've installed oem, greddy, freddy, tomei, P2M, all with one bead of grey RTV and torqued per the FSM. All of them never leaked lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Funny, I've installed oem, greddy, freddy, tomei, P2M, all with one bead of grey RTV and torqued per the FSM. All of them never leaked lol.
I've used Ultra Grey and just always smeared the RTV flat along the surfaces so that I know it distributes evenly and also have never had an issue with any of the pans lol.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #14
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
plus one on smearing...sometimes it will roll off the surface if not done...have seen this happen several times, started using a lot of silicone with thick bead...smear and then allow it to squish out and use rag to get excess...seals fast! just did my killer b pan in my sti this way...no leaks! good luck!

edit also did sentra sr20de factory pan this way...no leaks either!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Toyota rtv is the best shit ive used, but its $$$

go make friends with a dealer tech.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Only issue with using too much is the stuff that squishes out INSIDE the pan you can't exactly wipe off. And you don't want it falling into your oil and clogging your pickup screen or worse oil galleries.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote