Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mattrobertsxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
help identify why or whats happening

in these pictures you can see the pipe my radiator hose feeds to looks completely rusted and on the inside looks rusted and destroyed as well. do i need to replace entire intake manifold, or whats my move? i just started pulling apart my engine bay to pull my motor and this caught my eye.

thanks

mattrobertsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
That's what happens when you have shitty old coolant in an engine for a long period of time, not uncommon, I see it everyday at work
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mattrobertsxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
That's what happens when you have shitty old coolant in an engine for a long period of time, not uncommon, I see it everyday at work

so is it ok to leave it or what do i need to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattrobertsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Clean it out with a wire wheel and do a coolant flush.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
get a jug of CLR, fill a bucket with water and a bunch of CLR (read directions on jug), let that shit soak. its basically mineral buildup from people using tap water instead of Demin water, and just being 300 years old. its very very common, I've seen way worse than yours,

clean with wire wheel and wire brush.

use only demin water, not tap/hose water, add coolant as necessary.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
coolant flush...theres some acidic flushers out there that can work but need to ensure to get it all out...I personally, both professionally and at home, just run a hose both directions through everything till its clear and nothing else comes out...have had no issues...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
All of the above

my process would be:
1. clean as much as you can manually but you are not going to be able to get inside it deep with a wire wheel so,

2. When ready to run the engine again, fill with DISTILLED WATER and use a coolant flush.

3. Most coolant system flush bottles will tell you to run their stuff for a couple days then flush it again. I would do this, except make sure using only DISTILLED water, and,...

4. Do another flush.

5. Keep doing these 3-5 day cooling system flushes until you are satisfied with the condition of the water in the radiator. Visually look and SMELL the cooling system's DISTILLED WATER until its as clear as possible.

6. Replace the radiator completely and anything else you can (intake manifold, engine, etc.. replace whatever you can do easily to give it a fresh start)

7. Now you are ready to fill with distilled water and however much anti-freeze is required for your climate. Here in Florida I run 100 Distilled year round without issue. I replace it every year or so to keep it free from disgusting mess syndrome. It is recommended to run a little corrosion inhibitor/cooling system additive to prevent long-term problems but this is less an issue when you change the system water frequently and monitor it's condition. I like having 100% distilled because its basically safe to drink, you can dump it on the ground anywhere and nobody can say shit.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
wipe and wire brush what you can, and just run it, you wont have any issues. mine looked like that
and your block is gonna look just like that on the inside anyways
even after the machine shop cleans it youll still have rust in the cooling jackets
like someone else mentioned run distilled water and flush it in your driveway a couple times before adding antifreeze