Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
70dimer

Trader Rating: (0)
70dimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to use a S14 KA24DE with a S13 ECU & Harness

Hey guys I'm hoping some of you 240SX guys can help me out with some info. I have a S13 KA24DE swapped into my 1970 Datsun 510. A few months ago the timing chaing broke so rather than fix it, I'd rather swap in another KA24DE in there, but so far I haven't found any S13 KA24DE's locally. All I've found are S14's but I don't know what I'd have to do to get it to work with my S13's harness that's already wired up to my 510.

Can I basically use the S14 block, S14 Head, with S13 Intake + S13 Harness + S13 Distributor or what combo would I need to use to make this work or am I just stuck with swapping everything to an S14?

I really miss driving my 510...so any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

70dimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Swap the distributor, exhaust mani for downpipe reasons and iirc the intake mani is fine.

Done.
Get to driving fool!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep the upper intake manifold from the 14 on it(13 has butterflies, 14 doesnt), and use the 13 lower intake manifold because it has all of the sensors for it. Swap exhaust manifolds(use whatever you used on the last ka), and distributor and you will be good to go. Just remember if you have to order a valve cover gasket, get it for a 14 because one of the bolt holes are a little different.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
I have had both an s-13 and s-14 dualcam mani next to eachother and as far as I can tell there is little to no difference. You should be able to use the s-14 mani and all sensors with the s-13 wiring and ecu. You just need the wiring harness, distributor, and computer. If I was you though I would swap those s-13 camshafts into your s-14 engine though as they are more aggressive then the s-14 ones. That's what I would do...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
70dimer

70dimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the inputs so far guys...you guys are by far the best source so far. I've looked/asked in other forums to no avail. I'm still a bit confused because I've read threads that you can't use the S14 intake on the S13, that it will run weird.

Still hoping to get more input from other guys...maybe some that have actually done it?

Also can any mod add a "?" to the end of my title, I want it to be read like a question not a statement. Thanks!
70dimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
I have actually done it on my old coupe. Got a S14 ka for 100 bux, swapped the lower(the one with all of the sensors) intake manifold from the 13 onto the 14 motor, swapped distributors, and exhaust manifolds and started it up. Ran like a champ for how many miles that were on the motor. Everything else plugs right in. Injectors, knock sensor, whatever.
The S14 ka made the same power as the S13 ka, and thats because S14 ka cams are smaller and the intake manifold does not have the butterflies in it for a restriction. So you can keep the S14 upper intake and just swap the lower on for a more free flowing intake manifold.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
We've discussed this for well over a decade.

The differences electronic wise are the TPS, CTS, and O2 sensor. People say to swap the entire intake manifold as this foregoes swapping the TPS and CTS, but it's honestly easier to just swap the sensors. The S14 intake manifold, if a '96+, will have a few extra vacuum nipples to seal off, the S13 will have the SCVs, but either one works on any DOHC head.

Exhaust manifold is different due to converter fitment, either one works if you have the matching downpipe and EGR pipe, or you can cap the EGR and it won't matter.

Distributor swaps over. There's nothing else needed to do.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post

The differences electronic wise are the TPS, CTS, and O2 sensor. People say to swap the entire intake manifold as this foregoes swapping the TPS and CTS, but it's honestly easier to just swap the sensors. The S14 intake manifold, if a '96+, will have a few extra vacuum nipples to seal off, the S13 will have the SCVs, but either one works on any DOHC head.

Exhaust manifold is different due to converter fitment, either one works if you have the matching downpipe and EGR pipe, or you can cap the EGR and it won't matter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nothing more....

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post

I wasn't aware the TPS was any different. Do you happen to know the difference??? As for the coolant sensor are you referring to the computer sensor or the sensor for the guage? Just trying to get my story straight for my own benefit...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I also was not aware that the TPS and CTS are different.

It may be easier to run an S14 engine harness and get a rywire.com S14 to S13 ECU adaptor. Another option for you to consider.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
s13_whoa
Zilvia Member

s13_whoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to bring this thread back alive but im having issues with this problem. I got a s14 ka in my s13. & i hear from other people that i can use a s13 intake, distributor and exhaust manifold, harness and ecu with this KA and it should work. I cant get my motorr to start, j have everything plugged in and wired up but no start, cranks over but looks like im not getting spark to my dizzy and coil i believe. I tried a s14 dizzy amd no difference. Swappd coils with a friends good one & no start. Any ideas? Grounds seem to be fine also.
s13_whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #12
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_whoa View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back alive but im having issues with this problem. I got a s14 ka in my s13. & i hear from other people that i can use a s13 intake, distributor and exhaust manifold, harness and ecu with this KA and it should work. I cant get my motorr to start, j have everything plugged in and wired up but no start, cranks over but looks like im not getting spark to my dizzy and coil i believe. I tried a s14 dizzy amd no difference. Swappd coils with a friends good one & no start. Any ideas? Grounds seem to be fine also.
You gotta check to see if you're getting 12v to the coil. There is a ground, 12v (when in keys are in On position), and I believe the 3rd is from the ecu.

Check to see if your ECU is getting 12v

Check to see if there is interlock (clutch pedal) switch that has to be jumped...

Also see if your fuel pump is priming.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
DennisS
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
DennisS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My car would crank but didnt start. Turns out the cas was bad in the distributor so i got a new one. After aligning it, it started right up. Check your ecu for any codes being thrown.
DennisS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Bump, what about the tps wiring between the 2?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
Bump, what about the tps wiring between the 2?
What question do you have about it?