Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-15-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Clutch fork slips off pivot ball

I have no idea why car was fine and this has never happened before.and now its happened twice
i looked at the clutch fork to see if it was bent or damaged

pivot balls new
throwout bearing clip is new
clutch fork spring/clip is new
pilot bushing is new
t/o bearing is new
clutch is new

Last edited by kyral; 07-16-2018 at 12:11 AM..
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do you have the retainer clip in the fork?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is everything still in the car and running? How can you tell when/if it popped off?

Are you just popping it back on when it pops off?

If the clip is there, then maybe the pivot ball is worn down or broken.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
brandon519

brandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura about
It is supposed to have a retaining clip that sits behind the clutch fork to hold it in.
brandon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
unicoder
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
unicoder is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't think you are giving us the correct information. For you to set the clutch fork back on would require you to remove the transmission. There is a retaining clip that holds the clutch fork and throwout bearing on.

Are you referring to the slave cylinder rod slipping off the clutch fork on the outside of the transmission?

5.3 V8 Swap w/ Nitrous
unicoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #6
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicoder View Post
I don't think you are giving us the correct information. For you to set the clutch fork back on would require you to remove the transmission. There is a retaining clip that holds the clutch fork and throwout bearing on.

Are you referring to the slave cylinder rod slipping off the clutch fork on the outside of the transmission?
the fork actually slips out of the trans a little you can tell cause the slave cylinder piston will look extended when the clutch pedal is released.

i did actually pull the trans to pop it back on. and when i was in there i replaced my pilot bushing cause id never replaced it. put a new pivot ball in (despite the old one being new) and i replaced the pivot ball/fork clip as well as the throw out bearing clip with NEW clips cause they were old

the fork might be bent but it looked fine and worked fine when i was testing it before putting it back together and a stage 2 clutch

ill probably end up getting a new fork. and throw out bearing piece with a new bearing.
I just wish i could see or figure why exactly its hapenning
Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
do you have it correctly in the clip for the release bearing as well? also ensure you have proper pressure from your slave cylinder...additionally what engine/trans setup are you running?
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
do you have it correctly in the clip for the release bearing as well? also ensure you have proper pressure from your slave cylinder...additionally what engine/trans setup are you running?
the release bearing clip was installed correctly
ive seen what one does when its on backwards
its ka with a ka trans
idk how you confirm "proper pressure" from a slave cylinder, on top of the piston is jackknifed a little, and a little over extended atm
it did work perfectly fine before and when i was bleeding it. i had to open the bleeder screw to push the piston in to install the slave, (which i remember being normal) and then i rebled it. and everything looked good with the clutch pedal down and released

i read something about shimming the pivot ball if youve had the flywheel surfaced, which i have had my flywheel resurfaced (about 3k miles ago) and this didnt happen til i started trying to drift the car. Idk if that has something to do with this

im looking at getting the z1 motor sports shift fork, shimming the pivot ball with a thin washer, stage 2 exedy clutch and a new throwout bearing slider

Last edited by kyral; 07-17-2018 at 08:56 AM..
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I got the nismo pivot ball and it came with a washer. Haven't had a problem.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Me neither. Everything was stock except for an Exedy Stage 2.

What clutch do you have in there?

Is it some dual plate that needs a different TOB carrier and/or TOB tube?

Maybe your pressure plate is moving more than typical and causing the fork to pop off.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Its a luk clutch
was brand new when i installed it 3k miles ago
which is when i had the flywheel resurfaced and balanced
Old 07-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Ah, so just a stock replacement then.

Very strange indeed. Must be something simple.