Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
s14master
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
s14master is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Common problems on the 240sx?

about to buy a 240sx and my mechanic wont be able to come with me to do the check, so im doing it myself. what things do i have to check for normal things and what are the most common problems on the 240sx. using the search button i found that common things are the timing chain and rust buildup on the rear end wheel and strut towers? let me know as i plan to buy it in 2 days thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
blackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackrms13
rust is more for the cars that sees the snowy winters...

KA hated air pockets in the cooling system...thus easily overheat...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Jimmy Up
Zilvia.net GB Vendor

Trader Rating: (52)
Jimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 52 reviews
sd as in South Dakota or San Diego? San Diego shouldnt be very rusty, just oxidized from the sea salt...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
JohnJohn86
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
JohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the newest 240 is 11 yrs old now, anything can go wrong. Just make sure the chassis is straight and no rust, other stuff you can fix later.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
s14master
BANNED

any of u guys know what mechanics normally check for before buying a car? i wont have my mechanic with me.....dunno if a compression test is neccesary on ka24de
Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
J40sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
J40sx has made poor choicesJ40sx has made poor choicesJ40sx has made poor choicesJ40sx has made poor choicesJ40sx has made poor choicesJ40sx has made poor choicesJ40sx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
its a small thing... reverse lights are always busted.
either it be a short or a blown fuse.
my reverse dont work, my brothers don't work,
not even my buddies work lol.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Jaketenpointo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
Jaketenpointo will become famous soon enoughJaketenpointo will become famous soon enoughJaketenpointo will become famous soon enoughJaketenpointo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by J40sx View Post
its a small thing... reverse lights are always busted.
either it be a short or a blown fuse.
my reverse dont work, my brothers don't work,
not even my buddies work lol.
Yep, mine don't work either. Prepare for lots of broken/ worn out stuff...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
pink godzila
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (226)
pink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 226 reviews
-Check if there any major leak (ask the seller!!!)
-Check power steering line see if there any leak because old car has that problem
-Make SURE is straight classis
-Check the idl
-TEST drive it before you buy it !!!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
dynamicck
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This really depends on what you are buying.
Is it modified? Stock?
If it is stock... get a carfax. Check the vin and see how many accidents.

If you cant get a carfax, things to look for. Check the radiator support. Near the ends where it meets the fender, how's the fitment? Does it align perfectly? If it looks like it's tweaked, check the fender tubs. See if it looks crimped. See around the headlights, see if there's any crimple marks.
Check the body lines, see if they all match up and are straight. Are the gaps between doors, hood, bumper, fender?
Check the trunk, lift up the carpet. Look near the spare tire well, and check to see if it looks straight. If there was an accident, u can see if the floor looks crimpled, bondo, new sealant has been laid down. You can look under the rear bumper too (not on S13 cuz the gastank).

Simplest way to check for accident is checking the body lines. If the frame is fucked, you will see it when the body panels are not aligned properly.

Fuck the mechanical shit, just rebuild or swap a new motor. lol
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
s14master
BANNED

thanks guys will do. ive already checked carfax and test driven the cars. just needed to learn about things under the hood. if theres any more info let me know
Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
DMaxUSA
Zilvia Junkie

DMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond repute
IACV maybe...I see alot more engines having this problem nowadays....

Also, bad window seals always annoys me on S14's. I know its not mechanical, but it can be a pain to repair

dmax-us.com
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
power-steering leaks are common, mainly because people use power-steering fluid when the FSM calls for ATF fluid.

ask when parts have been changed, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, fluids ( engine oil, tranny fluid, and differential gear oil. )

listen to it run, should sound smooth, timing chain rattles are common, but you can use it to talk the owner down.

get underneath the car check the crossmembers make sure they are straight and dent free, check out the suspension arms make sure everything look straight.

look in the trunk and battery tray for rust..

check for torn power-steering boots..

see what the exhaust is outputting color, a lot of smoke? what does it smell like?

you should post a thread under your area, and see if any experienced 240 owner is willing to check out the car with you.

ask the owner questions just to see if he knows what he's talking about... in general

check the car out.. take pictures, and post them up here..
Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I'm always really concerned about the chassis its self. Like most have said above, the bolt on stuff can be fixed later but chassis problems, or poorly repaired damage, can be a costly fix and a source of many headaches.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
seanc
Leaky Injector

seanc is an unknown quantity at this point
most common problems are stupid owners.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Rapier46
Zilvia Member

Rapier46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rapier46
you don't even have a 240 and your name is s14 master?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier46 View Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
soldiaboy
Zilvia Member

soldiaboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
ROLF

check the window button.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
heavenboundkevin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
heavenboundkevin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
water pumps and thermostats usually need replacing. Not hard to do yourself. Make sure you drive it on the freeway or at least freeway speeds, making sure the clutch doesnt slip. Check if it drives straight. If it pulls to one side, could mean previous accident.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
sblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
haha thats sooo true.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
There has been too much violence, too much pain.
None here are without sin.
But I have an honorable compromise.
Just walk away.
Give me the pump
the oil
the gasoline
and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
ESmorz
Post Whore!

ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
It's Mr. Grape again.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
soldiaboy
Zilvia Member

my pass door is awful squeaky. im gonna take off the door panel this weekend and check it out. what gives?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #23
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiaboy View Post
my pass door is awful squeaky. im gonna take off the door panel this weekend and check it out. what gives?
there's a tab that kind of locks the door in the open position. it gets dirty. spray it with white lithium grease. problem solved
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
soldiaboy
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
there's a tab that kind of locks the door in the open position. it gets dirty. spray it with white lithium grease. problem solved
cool thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #25
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Yeah, like ones that drink to many OTC medications and forget that they asked the same question before under a different screen name. Over and over again...
Quote:
Troll's got to have a good name yo!