Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mattrobertsxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ignition switch problem 240sx

so i couldnt get my car to crank, i could just hear the relays click. So i replaced the ignition switch this morning and bam car starts up. idles for 5 minutes perfectly.

// Backround info - BRAND NEW BATTERY. also coolant shot all over my alternator when a hose came off. I think it a lot hit the alternator but cant confirm because i was driving.

Also. I just ignored the wiring for my viper alarm since i just wanted to see if the ign switch was problem, so i just left the other ign switch hanging onto all the other wires that were spliced into it for my alarm. Not sure if my alarm is preventing me from turning over the car, and its not even remote start.

I attempt to turn on my headlights ( they dont work idk why) and the car shuts off instantly. They didnt even turn on and the motors didnt even flip up the lights. ????.

Get the car to start again, turn on headlights and they pop up, no problems this time.

car steadily idles then dies a couple minutes later and havent got it to start except once when i unplugged the ign switch and plugged it back in then car would crank again. Didnt start though because fuel pump was toggled off.

I used a multimeter and tested two wires connected to the switch, and when i turned the key, the volts dropped immediately from 12.5v to 0v

Now i cant get the car the crank at all. Will try again tomorrow i guess.

What do you guys think?

Please if you have any knowledge on electrical stuff, i would appreciate help. im not the brightest with electrical shit.
mattrobertsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

morning bump anybody got ideas? i think im going to get alternator tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Green Arrow
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did the same thing, and then had the no start problem after parking it over night. My problem might not be yours, BUT....I think the double relay hidden next to the battery (on the left) is connected to the circuit...it controls the clutch switch....pull it out and jumper the big plug and leave the little one completely unplugged. This was my solution to my problem. Can’t say it’s the same thing.

Someone’s gonna come in and comment just to say “SEARCH”, f them.... these cars are old and have numerous electrical nightmares. Good luck bud!
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
and get rid of the viper, these cars are too easy to steal and no security system will stop anyone that is determined.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
I did the same thing, and then had the no start problem after parking it over night. My problem might not be yours, BUT....I think the double relay hidden next to the battery (on the left) is connected to the circuit...it controls the clutch switch....pull it out and jumper the big plug and leave the little one completely unplugged. This was my solution to my problem. Can’t say it’s the same thing.

Someone’s gonna come in and comment just to say “SEARCH”, f them.... these cars are old and have numerous electrical nightmares. Good luck bud!

Do you mind taking a picture of the two relays and which one you jumped? Would appreciate it.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

forgot to include this : car is a manual swap. I didnt do the swap, but when i bought it the guy said he and his buddies did the swap.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:33 AM   #7
Green Arrow
BANNED

Well then it’s likely you don’t have the relay, you should however have a jumper on a connector near the fuse lock...which one? I don’t remember....on s14 it’s on the engine side of the fuse block, second one down. You can take this information and search and find the exact answer. Run through a few manual swap threads....this is probably where your problem lies.....and get rid of the viper alarm..
Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

isnt it a bitch and a half to get rid of it? Idk why i wouldnt just leave it. Ill read through some manual swap forums today and all that though. And get alternator tested just bc i think its bad. I think your talkin about the neutral safety switch i have that jumped right by that battery.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Got the car started. Not sure what changed but i got starter tested and it was fine. Moved around some relays as well. Car is detonating and running rich, think its my injectors but ill find out when i buy new ones.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

anyone know what the consequences of driving my car like this would be? Tried new spark plugs and it doesnt seem like its coming from valve cover. Looks to be a mixture of gas and oil its not very thick. And builds up pretty fast in the spark plug hole. Have cleaned it multiple times. Could it be an injector? Think mine are going out.

As you can see below the gas / oil is filled up almost to top of spark plug.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
valve cover gasket...can cause detonation from lack of continuity...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

was the valve cover gasket didnt think it was because nothing was coming out of the spot for like 30 mins while i had the plugs out.. . For now this thread is done! All problems fixed appreciate anyone who helped.