Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
oscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
2JZ S14 cooling questions.

What's up you guys, I finally got my S14 2JZ running! so I'm having a bit of a cooling issue (we all know the JZ runs hot in S chassis). So right now I'm running an ISR & ISR fans+shroud on a fan controller set @ 180 degrees. Well city crusin & mild driving im reaching up to 220.. I don't like those numbers so I'm already in the market to upgrade to something more ideal.

I'm also running a 12 row oil cooler, I was hoping that was going to help but no avail.

I was curious to know what set up you guys with similiar builds have to keep these engines warm in your engine bay? (radiator+fan set ups)

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I’m about to switch to permacools and if that doesn’t work I’m going to put a scoop on the hood. My LS with mishimoto skins is terrible, gets up to 230 traffic.
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I used a $79 ebay radiator aluminum,

and a $65 set of Altima fans (95 iirc) new from ebay

IMO upgrade fans to altima first. Tight fit but I managed with turbo LS, so.

IF this didn't work for me (and it does, very well indeed) my next 'upgrade' would be:
1. griffin radiator custom fit as large as possible to my space available

and if that still had troubles its obviously the fan again
2. upgrade to better fans/ventilation

FWIW I am using OEM hood. Fully insulated downpipe. Lots of heat in the engine bay. Radiator stays 165-175*F no problem though. Its those altima fans, they are huge and very powerful, I believe it.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I’m not sure I could fit Altima fans with my setup, but I’m about to go to permacool. Your temps aren’t as hot here either in Florida than here in California.
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Those isr fans don't move enough air for SRs and KAs let alone JZs. Spal or flex-a-lite are my choices for fans. A minimum of 2500 cfm of airflow is needed for cooling in these cars.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #6
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

oscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
Those isr fans don't move enough air for SRs and KAs let alone JZs. Spal or flex-a-lite are my choices for fans. A minimum of 2500 cfm of airflow is needed for cooling in these cars.
Is there a certain model I should with the FAL? or any 12 inch 2500cfm will do? thanks!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Also, is the ISR radiator worth keeping or should I upgrade as well?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I used a $79 ebay radiator aluminum,

and a $65 set of Altima fans (95 iirc) new from ebay

IMO upgrade fans to altima first. Tight fit but I managed with turbo LS, so.

IF this didn't work for me (and it does, very well indeed) my next 'upgrade' would be:
1. griffin radiator custom fit as large as possible to my space available

and if that still had troubles its obviously the fan again
2. upgrade to better fans/ventilation

FWIW I am using OEM hood. Fully insulated downpipe. Lots of heat in the engine bay. Radiator stays 165-175*F no problem though. Its those altima fans, they are huge and very powerful, I believe it.
I'll have to look into those, but If ircc they're bulky as shit, and I'm already limited on space with the 2j n all haha.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
insulate the engine/manifolds. coatings are ideal, like jethot. Insulate it then shield from a distance, then insulate the other side of the shield also. that will cut down on ALOT of the radiated engine heat. Rememer oil runs 220*F~ and exhaust can be 1500*F. So it pays to cut that stuff out as much as possible.

From there you duct vents so the air that just passed through the radiator can leave easier.
Big Al rad with the best fans you can fit. I had to shave a bit of plastic from a blade once but it was worth it.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:02 AM   #10
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsx View Post
Is there a certain model I should with the FAL? or any 12 inch 2500cfm will do? thanks!
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...1522/overview/
this is what i'm currently using. They're ~1300cfm each and typically you would use two, totalling ~2600cfm. they're one of the thinner ones you could fit. there are stronger 12" spal fan but they're thicker
Old 05-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
1jz s14

Trader Rating: (1)
1jz s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First things first , remember the oem clutch fan flows around 3200cfms+/- plus a big engine bay.... you need atleast 2500cfms to keep it cool along with a good radiator. Koyo, griffin, and ehhh mishimoto have been good with me along with flex-a-lite and spal fans. What I have is a thick 2 core koyo with flex-a-lite 575’s with pbm hood risers and she doesn’t see anything above 200 ; oem thermostat too. I used hood risers to help reject all the heat from the engine bay. So find some really good fans to reject the heat or something along with what I used with hood risers to reject heat... I’ll be changing my set up to a 7m radiator, 7m shroud, 2j clutch fan/blades with my current fans as auxiliary fans for my AC.... goo
1jz s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
alwaysnboost
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
alwaysnboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is my combo if this helps. 402 stroker in s14
-Mishi sr rad
-dual 12 inch flex light fans
-160 tstat
-stock hood
-custom alumi splash/belly pan

178 in traffic with 100 degree outside temps
alwaysnboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #13
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Ditch the ISR fans and shroud. It ensures the fans suck air through the radiator, however it also severely restricts how much air can pass through the radiator at speed. I had Mishimotos which were a similar design and the car would overheat when cruising.

I eventually switched them out for the Altima electic fans and never looked back. They move a ton of air and allow a lot of air to pass through the radiator at speed. My custom kouki s14 grill helps also If those are too bulky, I would recommend the slim FAL fans which are rated at 2500CFM's I believe.

Make sure you have the OEM undertray as well. It acts like a duct for the air to move through the radiator instead of going under it.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #14
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

You guys helped a ton thanks! I ended up ordering the FAL 420s dual set up, also looking into getting some cooling panels and bumper vents, ultimately I want a vented hood but for now I'll see if these changes will do.

Crossing fingers this thing stays cool, summer here in SoCal suck and it's going to be a challenge keeping this jz cool.

Ig: @ozckouki