Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Tremec TKX conversions

If you aren't aware, Tremec just released it's TKX transmission, which is the evolution of the T-5/TKO500/TKO600 line. It now has triple cone synchros and a stiffer case, extending the usable shift RPM to 8000. This seems very promising as a no-compromise strong 5-speed box.

https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=183

Let's list some advantages here:

1. Lighter than a Z33/T56 box by 30lbs
2. Rated for 600lb-ft of torque
3. Massive aftermarket support
4. Available basically everywhere
5. Will be in production/service for years
6. Removable bellhousing
7. Mechanical or electronic speedometer drive
8. Compact
9. Shares bellhousing pattern with G-force dogboxes/others
10. Close ratio gearset

Adapting these should be relatively easy, with an adapter plate and a bellhousing from your preferred engine (auto SR/KA/RB, R154 JZ), a custom pilot bushing and a 26-spline clutch disk in your required diameter.

Here is a example of a G-force GSR to SR20 adapter:

I do believe they would need an extended shifter based on how the TKO fits in an S13:

Retail is $2,795 for the gearbox.

Anyone else think this sounds pretty good? I think it's something to talk about at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOqkR3K-Oz8

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 11-11-2020 at 11:05 AM..
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
very cool, but outside of pro/semipro level drifting, most 240 owners ain't gonna have $2800 just for a trans (and then more for the bellhousing, clutch, driveshaft, etc) when people bitch and moan about a $800 cd009 or $500 z32 trans.

always nice to have more options available in the market tho!!!

is there a listing of available gearsets? or do you just specify what ratios you want when you order?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:22 AM   #3
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
very cool, but outside of pro/semipro level drifting, most 240 owners ain't gonna have $2800 just for a trans (and then more for the bellhousing, clutch, driveshaft, etc) when people bitch and moan about a $800 cd009 or $500 z32 trans.

always nice to have more options available in the market tho!!!

is there a listing of available gearsets? or do you just specify what ratios you want when you order?
Yeah that makes sense, Just seems like people are spending just as much on the conversion for those other transmissions that the cost wouldn't be so different for a proven transmission.

Yeah if you click on that first link they're under the "technical specifications" tab on the tremec website.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Yeah that makes sense, Just seems like people are spending just as much on the conversion for those other transmissions that the cost wouldn't be so different for a proven transmission.

Yeah if you click on that first link they're under the "technical specifications" tab on the tremec website.
I think the price point isn?t bad for a new trans. Most CDX or RS5R30A transmissions are in between 2-3k anyhow. However, factoring in the cost of a conversion kit, is going to put this out of reach for most S-chassis owners.

I think most guys that are using a TKO trans have them face plated anyway for the power they are making.

At the end of the day, It?s always nice to have options and I?m sure someone will product a kit for it.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I think the price point isn?t bad for a new trans. Most CDX or RS5R30A transmissions are in between 2-3k anyhow. However, factoring in the cost of a conversion kit, is going to put this out of reach for most S-chassis owners.

I think most guys that are using a TKO trans have them face plated anyway for the power they are making.

At the end of the day, It?s always nice to have options and I?m sure someone will product a kit for it.
Yeah, that makes sense. Just seems like with the cost of all the conversion parts, it won't end up being that much different.

They don't plate them for strength, they faceplate them so they'll shift at the RPM they're running. This trans fixes those issues.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. Just seems like with the cost of all the conversion parts, it won't end up being that much different.

They don't plate them for strength, they faceplate them so they'll shift at the RPM they're running. This trans fixes those issues.
I guess power and rpm go hand in hand? If they are spinning those motors up, they are churning out some power. But I hear you!
Old 10-20-2022, 07:46 PM   #7
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Bellhousing to bolt a tkx to an SR.

https://vernierbell.com/products

Old 10-21-2022, 05:07 AM   #8
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm going to inquire to them if they have plans for making one that'll bolt to a KA. Realistically the RB25 one is close enough.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:29 AM   #9
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Given that used T56s have been going for TKO money for years, it's great. This isn't a "for everyone" transmission, but I think it's a no brainer for LS swap cars, compared to the typical combination of used transmissions and adapter kits.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #10
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In all honesty, im surprised the Sr / KA market isn't all over the TKO. One offering has almost IDENTICAL gearing to the factory 5 speed.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:29 PM   #11
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
In all honesty, im surprised the Sr / KA market isn't all over the TKO. One offering has almost IDENTICAL gearing to the factory 5 speed.
I doubt most people know the bellhousing exits. It's immensely stronger than the 30A, and has an off the shelf shifter from sikky that doesn't require all the mods that a CD or JK series transmission does. People are still cheap though, and finding a cheap JK41 trans is still possible if you can wait around for a deal.

Between this and the Turbolamik ZF 8hp70, we don't have to worry about finding strong transmissions anymore.

https://pmcmotorsport-shop.com/produ...8HP50-B58.html

Old 10-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #12
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Isn't ZF 8hp70 an A/T?
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #13
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
It is. Looks like there's a healthy aftermarket for standalone controllers for it because it's such a strong, efficient, fast-shifting gearbox though.

Surprisingly people are even adapting them to go behind LS motors, is the ZF 8HP70 that much better than the GM 6L80/90 or 8L90? I guess the smaller BMW bellhousing would give you more clearance in typical import car swap applications than the huge Chevy bellhousing pattern.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #14
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
Isn't ZF 8hp70 an A/T?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
It is. Looks like there's a healthy aftermarket for standalone controllers for it because it's such a strong, efficient, fast-shifting gearbox though.

Surprisingly people are even adapting them to go behind LS motors, is the ZF 8HP70 that much better than the GM 6L80/90 or 8L90? I guess the smaller BMW bellhousing would give you more clearance in typical import car swap applications than the huge Chevy bellhousing pattern.
Yes, and Yes.

The standalone controllers allow you to shift it sequentially, and even use a clutch-by-wire setup. We're getting a little off topic here, but this is a pretty cool topic too, so whatev, hah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eleIShRysVM

Old 10-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #15
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
The largest issue, hurdle, and pain in the ass is getting an SR clutch with LS transmission shaft splines. Especially for people like myself who prefer to use brands like osgiken etc.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:12 PM   #16
Sr20-Vert
Leaky Injector

Sr20-Vert is a well-known jackass
I think a t56 to sr20 should be here I am not a fan of my cd00a to notchy and third gear is grinding we need someone to make this kit my car would be insane with a t56 already mazworx stage 3 ve head and garret g35-1050 106 ar cd00a
Sr20-Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #17
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
t56 magnum is unparraleled for performance and shift feel. No other choice IMO if you're going 6spd. It's worth the huge hole it burns in your wallet. I think the tko only realy make sense for upgrading older mustangs and GM's which came with T5... Not a lot of point to put it behind any import engines.