Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 AM   #1
redsox066

Trader Rating: (0)
redsox066 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fc 1jz vvti build

Hi everyone, finally finished this project after way too long. First off I'm Brett and I'm from Phoenix, Arizona.

I've been working on this thing since 2014... I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted to but I'll share as many details as I can.

Ill give you guys the shorter version of the sob story because it would be a few pages long.

So to start out, I was younger (18-19 ish) and had a 93 3000GT VR4 that I was desperate to get rid of for some reason and I'm sure I asked many of you on here to trade

Anyways I found a guy in Las Vegas that was willing to trade me his 1986 RX7 FC TII, so of course I jumped on it. Drove to Vegas by myself at 4:30am or so, met the guy, test drove it and it did great, did the deal and started driving home. About 2/3 of the way noticed no one wanted to drive behind me, was smoking a little bit, I ignored it and pressed on with the 5 hour drive with no A/C in the 110 degree heat (feel bad for me) Oil low buzzer and light came on, I don't know how many of you have ridden in an RX7 when that buzzer has come on but it's the MOST ANNOYING sound ever and as usual I ignored it for a while. Stopped to get gas and noticed a nice puddle under the car, couldn't figure out where it was coming from so I bought some gas station oil and filled her up. Kept listening to the buzzer for another hour or so, finally I couldn't take it anymore so I pulled over and called pops to come rescue me (wasn't the first time and wont be the last) Got the car home...10 hours later.

Problem ended up being a portion of the turbo oil drain line, looked like someone threw some heater hose line on there, it melted a nice hole in it, I'm lucky I didn't lock up the motor due to oil starvation.

Here is the VR4

And here is the FC when I picked it up

Threw some new wheels on it, much better.
Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 +12 up front and 18x10.5 +15 in the rear

Actually daily drove the car for a year or so, took it too a few drift events as well and had nothing but problems (from whoever did the motor swap, hack job) so I was bored one day and decided to pull the motor/trans/harness and sell it. For some reason I ended up buying another 13b for it, this one was ported, pinned, big turbo, fuel, etc made 650 to the wheels according to the previous owner, unfortunately I don't have any pictures from that time. Ended up never finishing it and selling that too...

This is when I decided to strip the car to a shell and re-do everything.

Undercoated the whole car, gutted and painted the interior and engine bay, ass new bushings and adjustable arms where I could, fuel lines, brake lines, calipers, rotors, bearings, brake booster, brake master cylinder, slave cylinder, axles, rack and pinion, car already had coilovers on it (kei office) so
but anything else that I could tear out and replace, I did. Again I don'n have too many pictures from that, but from here on out, everything will be documented.
Here's a few pics that I do have

Interior
Initially rattle canned it, but it looked like shit so I bought a real HVLP paint gun for the clear coat.
(yes it has the ugly red interior, I know)

Engine bay
Lots of sparkles!!

and hood
More sparkles!!

That will be it for my first post, if its decent/interesting or want me to continue please let me know in the comments!

Next post will be on the new motor/trans setup!!

Last edited by redsox066; 09-10-2017 at 08:41 PM..
redsox066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
redsox066

Trader Rating: (0)
redsox066 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DELIVERY!!!

Motor/trans showed up finally after a long week of me impatiently waiting.

Was surprised to see a full size semi-truck coming through a neighborhood...

Arrived packaged up pretty nicely, no damage!

It ended up being a lot cleaner than I expected, 72,533 km (supposedly) about 45,000 miles

Come to find out after looking over the motor, it was a JZX110 1JZ instead of the JZX100 1JZ that I thought it was. No big deal..or so I thought, a new throttle body, ecu, j-pipe, MAF, upper and lower intake manifolds and IACV later it was ready to go. Also had to swap out the upper and oil pans, dipstick and turbo oil drain and convert to rear sump, harder to find than I thought..found one from a local guy for a decent price.

The R154 it came with doesn't look like any I've seen before, looks like it has a shifter extension already on it.. shifts totally different than friends R154sas well. Anyone seen one like this before? If so, is there anything different internally about it?

Didn't get to see everything, but everything I saw in the bottom end looked good.

Of course had to paint the oil pan (spray paint king)

New Spec stage 3+

Easy way to hold the flywheel in place for bolt torquing!!
redsox066 is offline   Reply With Quote