Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #31
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
The only unreliable SRs are the ones
1) Built by idiots (there is a FSM for a reason)
2) Bang off the rev limiter umpteen times a lap
3) Built by just throwing bearings in without any actual measuring of any components.
4) Expect a 20 year old engine at it's youngest to just be slapped in, crank the boost up and beat to hell.

None of those scenarios mean it is a bad engine. Fix the rocker arm issue and move along

My past 3 SRs did well on many a track days no problem. Stop banging them off of limiters.......or fortify the head....or just go VE.

Everyone loves to bag on the SR but unwilling to fix it's deficiencies as every engine has them.

The LS for instance needs at minimum an Accusump. Many just forgo and go to a dry sump.

The only people I see bag on SRs regularly are drifters........and they use this as an excuse to go LS....like they didn't want to go LS to begin with
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #32
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
The only unreliable SRs are the ones
1) Built by idiots (there is a FSM for a reason)
2) Bang off the rev limiter umpteen times a lap
3) Built by just throwing bearings in without any actual measuring of any components.
4) Expect a 20 year old engine at it's youngest to just be slapped in, crank the boost up and beat to hell.

None of those scenarios mean it is a bad engine. Fix the rocker arm issue and move along

My past 3 SRs did well on many a track days no problem. Stop banging them off of limiters.......or fortify the head....or just go VE.

Everyone loves to bag on the SR but unwilling to fix it's deficiencies as every engine has them.

The LS for instance needs at minimum an Accusump. Many just forgo and go to a dry sump.

The only people I see bag on SRs regularly are drifters........and they use this as an excuse to go LS....like they didn't want to go LS to begin with
NS if this is in reply to my post, I am a proud SR owner - simply saying, there are more reliable and frankly better motors available today for around the current price of a SR, especially if your primary goal is drifting.

Not trying to rip the SR, again <--- owner of one I have put 10k into, just stating facts; LS1, 2JZ, RB25 all superior in some ways, and with today's SR inflation, it's hard to completely justify an SR purchase over those options ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
the SR is actually a very well built motor for what it is. my current SR ive had for 8 years and honestly have never had anything major go wrong with it. just kept up on normal maintenance and what not, still runs like a top but then again, im not using it for a damn race car setup. motor has a GT28 S15 spec r turbo on it set to 12psi... has been that way for like 6-7 years now. i have a PowerFC djetro + 740cc tomei injectors that will go into it one day, but im only looking to push 16psi on a good tune... thats it. 300hp is good enough for me

point is... dunno why the SR gets so much hate. i guess because drifting is no longer a 300-400hp motorsport. its a 1000+hp motorsport (at least in the US it is). but as a motor in general, the SR20det is an INSANELY OVER BUILT engine that will last as long as you take care of the silly thing.
I wasn't intending it as a slam. Mine is fully built on a super conservative 16PSI tune that runs 3xx HP. It's plenty quick for me, personally.

Just saying that with today's price due to increasing rarity of sources and inflation of popularity - there are better motors for similar $, especially if your primary goal is drifting. I addressed this in my above post, which I would have multi-quoted by I didn't see your post at the time.

I am full of SR <3, don't get me wrong. It's a solid motor, just I believe there are more solid options today that tend to push it aside (and for a reason).

Still SR <3 all day from me though. It makes pretty sounds.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #33
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
^^ Wasn't directed at you just in general

Every engine has it's nuances. Just gotta fix them and move one considering end goal.

For a balanced track setup?? I wouldn't look much futher than a EFR powered VET. The added weight of the iron block straight 6 is a non starter. Also, a LS anything is going to require rethinking the oiling system.

However, if I am drifting. Any one of a number of LS, RB, JZ or whatever other alphabet soup you want to throw in is good to go
Old 10-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #34
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
^^ Wasn't directed at you just in general

Every engine has it's nuances. Just gotta fix them and move one considering end goal.

For a balanced track setup?? I wouldn't look much futher than a EFR powered VET. The added weight of the iron block straight 6 is a non starter. Also, a LS anything is going to require rethinking the oiling system.

However, if I am drifting. Any one of a number of LS, RB, JZ or whatever other alphabet soup you want to throw in is good to go
Concur!

Drifting has always been my main squeeze, and again - I am a purist through and through which I why I have a SR. I do get jealous of the easy gaines and throttle play of my v8 friends though from time to time lol.

Most of my SR issues were due to a certain shop that decided to steal parts of my car without permission and was DOWN RIGHT FRAUDULENT when I had health issues and couldn't do certain work myself, but I digress. Sucks when a member off a local facebook group contacts you about what they witnessed at said shop, and there really wasn't much I could do about it without getting involved in court. Can't get that money back and won't bad mouth them by name as I don't believe in that.

Outside of that, the motor has been darn good even with some abuse. I wouldn't ever talk someone out of one, just I recognize the fact that the ease of access and "domination" of the SR with the S-chassis has become a thing of the past to some degree. That's change, I suppose, which is of course inevitable.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #35
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

jdm_land is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
the SR is actually a very well built motor for what it is. my current SR ive had for 8 years and honestly have never had anything major go wrong with it. just kept up on normal maintenance and what not, still runs like a top but then again, im not using it for a damn race car setup. motor has a GT28 S15 spec r turbo on it set to 12psi... has been that way for like 6-7 years now. i have a PowerFC djetro + 740cc tomei injectors that will go into it one day, but im only looking to push 16psi on a good tune... thats it. 300hp is good enough for me

point is... dunno why the SR gets so much hate. i guess because drifting is no longer a 300-400hp motorsport. its a 1000+hp motorsport (at least in the US it is). but as a motor in general, the SR20det is an INSANELY OVER BUILT engine that will last as long as you take care of the silly thing.
Agreed. My first SR was a S15 swap. I drove that car around everywhere for 5 years and never had 1 issue. I broke 2 transmissions but the engine was solid. Had normal mods, running 18 psi with a PowerFc. I ended up parting out the car and selling the swap. I currently have another s15 swap I’m getting ready now.

The down side to SRs are you have to build them pretty good to make high HP. People want to bolt on 800hp and never see the machine shop.

Mazworx has proven the SR can run with the best........ if your pockets are deep enough.
jdm_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #36
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

To be fair, a reliable 800 engine is not going to be cheap

And no junkyard v8 don't apply. As stated reliable
Old 10-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #37
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Quote:
To be fair, a reliable 800 engine is not going to be cheap

And no junkyard v8 don't apply. As stated reliable
I thought the JZ, RB and LS could handle 800ish with stock internals; big turbo, fuel system and standalone.

And I believe reliability has to do a lot with how you drive the car and keeping up with routine maintenance.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #38
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm_land View Post
I thought the JZ, RB and LS could handle 800ish with stock internals; big turbo, fuel system and standalone.

And I believe reliability has to do a lot with how you drive the car and keeping up with routine maintenance.
Its not that simple. If it was, there would be alot (and instagram/youtube doesnt count) of them running around like Hondas. To support enough fuel for 800HP for instance, you are looking at spending a few thousand dollars in injectors, twin pumps, lines, fittings, surge tank, etc etc. That's more than people spend on buying an entire 240.

Reliable 800 is NOT the same as banging out one dyno 800HP session. Not to be offensive, but not remotely close if we are talking about reliability, functional power.

Reliability has ALOT to do with initial prep prior to actual maintenance/driving. 800HP generates ALOT of heat for instance. Another few thousand in proper cooling system in order to shed 800HP for a reliable setup.

You can see how this becomes a propagating effect.

Don't let 800 youtube and instagram posts fool you
Old 10-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #39
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Its not that simple. If it was, there would be alot (and instagram/youtube doesnt count) of them running around like Hondas. To support enough fuel for 800HP for instance, you are looking at spending a few thousand dollars in injectors, twin pumps, lines, fittings, surge tank, etc etc. That's more than people spend on buying an entire 240.

Reliable 800 is NOT the same as banging out one dyno 800HP session. Not to be offensive, but not remotely close if we are talking about reliability, functional power.

Reliability has ALOT to do with initial prep prior to actual maintenance/driving. 800HP generates ALOT of heat for instance. Another few thousand in proper cooling system in order to shed 800HP for a reliable setup.

You can see how this becomes a propagating effect.

Don't let 800 youtube and instagram posts fool you
Your right. A dyno queen is a lot different then a sit in traffic car.

I understand reliable 800 requires some extra attention to detail and in depth knowledge of what you are doing. I just don’t think it takes as much money to get there with a JZ, RB, or LS compared to starting with a SR20.

A metric ton of money is wasted when people pay shops to put together their car. That is usually where a lot of money goes. On top of that most the builds are still janky after it’s said and done. I ONLY trust myself to touch my car.

If someone is capable, has the knowledge and has the correct tools, they can put together a reliable 800hp engine for around $8-10k. Maybe even cheaper if you can fab and weld. Like myself.

People pay shops close to that kinda money to swap a Sr20det with the normal bolt ons.

Great conversations I like
Old 10-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #40
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Since we are talking engine's. Given today's prices what would yall swap in for a street machine/DDish car?

I've always dreamed of an RB powered car with AC, heat and all that, but it seems like a tall order without dropping 10-15k.

The notchop sr (I have an S14) seems like it would meet all these criteria fairly easy. The issue is it seems I would be remiss to trust an engine without a rebuild.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #41
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

I would drop in a S15, but those engines are 3-4K. But you get the peace of mind of a newer engine

If I was to do it, 2JZ and done. Parts available. Not as many issues as the RB. Can retain AC. Has the 3 liter torque. You do not have to touch the internals for anything. I am a Nissan man in and out, but not if parts pull a premium before race wars.........or I have to overnight parts from Japan especially if its a car I drive regularly. No thanks.....

If worried about emission; slap in a LS or ERod and done.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #42
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
I would think there won't be many Silvia's running around because so many have been chopped up for the SR's in them.

Yea see no way I would pay 2500 or more for a redtop. A notchtop sure.
So since you mentioned this I started a little research on production numbers.

Before that I’ll mention this, I just paid $3200 for a complete S15 swap with a brand new Driftworks duelmass delete flywheel. I went to Orlando and actually drove the S15 before purchasing the engine to verify all was good. They pulled it out and I picked it up next day.

On to numbers, I’m just going to keep it simple. I’ll post the links below, there is way to much info to post here. Very interesting information about rare Silvia’s and colors. I also didn’t notice a link for s14’s. In any case there should still be a good number of Silvia’s running around......for now. I now am wondering how many Sr20det and Silvia’s have been brought to the states over the past 15ish years. 20,000, 30,000 engines? Maybe a couple hundred Silvias.

Total S15 built 43097 S15s (41954 coupe and 1143 convertible)
38741 Japanese Silvias (37598 coupe, 1143 convertible)
3879 Australian 200SX
477 New Zealand 200SX

Total 302,761 JDM S13s built
4 colours (4J1, 4J2, 6G1, TK3) were only used once, and 5G9 twice.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/49lbl5o/

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/vrd8p66/
Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #43
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I would drop in a S15, but those engines are 3-4K. But you get the peace of mind of a newer engine

If I was to do it, 2JZ and done. Parts available. Not as many issues as the RB. Can retain AC. Has the 3 liter torque. You do not have to touch the internals for anything. I am a Nissan man in and out, but not if parts pull a premium before race wars.........or I have to overnight parts from Japan especially if its a car I drive regularly. No thanks.....

I whole reason I didn’t go RB was the oiling issues I hear about. And it’s not cheap to fix the oil problem. The JZ series is nice but I’m a Nissan man.
I love the Sr20det, A well built engine from the factory, easy to mod and parts are cheapish.

If I had the money I’d love to do the BMW M5 V10 with ITBs in my S13
Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #44
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:

The only issue with the S15 SRs is the 6 speed. I honestly don't want to deal with that extra headache, which means another what 500-800 for a 5 speed trans.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #45
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Since we are talking engine's. Given today's prices what would yall swap in for a street machine/DDish car?
Probably would be a RB25. I really love the RB motors and the sound they make. I honestly do not mind working on the engine either. As for now I am happy with my RB20 though, very fun motor for me.

Quote:
I've always dreamed of an RB powered car with AC
Same , Working on this next year. Going to buy a new compressor and see if I can get lucky with custom lines.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #46
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
The only issue with the S15 SRs is the 6 speed. I honestly don't want to deal with that extra headache, which means another what 500-800 for a 5 speed trans.
SR trans are 1-300 around here. You would probably need s clutch/flywheel combo anywho.

That's all you should need. S15 6 sold on here for 400 so you would recoup a majority of your own investment..

My rule of thumb; buy the newest thing you can afford. Which means I would also buy a vvti 2j over a standard head. Torque curve is much better and generally newer engine
Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #47
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

PS even if you have to buy with a 6 speed it would still be a fair amount cheaper than a 2j swap
Old 10-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #48
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This man speaks the truth.

https://www.ebay.com/p/JDM-89-93-Nis...3535261&chn=ps

$2,999 for an s13 blacktop.

Want a notchtop?

$3,500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NISSAN-...QAAOSw6sdbbwxR
You guys think Drift tax is bad? R chassis tax is a whole other ballgame
Old 10-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #49
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
You guys think Drift tax is bad? R chassis tax is a whole other ballgame

dannnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/nissan/s..._15_21&sprx=-1

edit:

S chassis for comparison
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/nissan/s...=1_8_8&sprx=-1
Old 10-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #50
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Your right. A dyno queen is a lot different then a sit in traffic car.

I understand reliable 800 requires some extra attention to detail and in depth knowledge of what you are doing. I just don’t think it takes as much money to get there with a JZ, RB, or LS compared to starting with a SR20.

A metric ton of money is wasted when people pay shops to put together their car. That is usually where a lot of money goes. On top of that most the builds are still janky after it’s said and done. I ONLY trust myself to touch my car.

If someone is capable, has the knowledge and has the correct tools, they can put together a reliable 800hp engine for around $8-10k. Maybe even cheaper if you can fab and weld. Like myself.

People pay shops close to that kinda money to swap a Sr20det with the normal bolt ons.

Great conversations I like
Sort of, I see a lot of cut-up home projects that would have been far better at a reputable shop.

And I have seen bad shop work, and have been a victim of it.

Do what you are capable of doing to your car, but don't be scared to pay a shop either if it's something important you don't really know. My .02.

I use to be all about DIY, but sometimes now I am fine with some help, if you can afford it of course.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #51
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
SR trans are 1-300 around here. You would probably need s clutch/flywheel combo anywho.

That's all you should need. S15 6 sold on here for 400 so you would recoup a majority of your own investment..

My rule of thumb; buy the newest thing you can afford. Which means I would also buy a vvti 2j over a standard head. Torque curve is much better and generally newer engine

Hm. That makes sense. Honestly I'd prefer an s15 sr with the bigger injectors and turbo. I think with a fmic and exhaust and a tune running 12psi, would be a fun car to drive. With cody ace brackets and a clutch fan (I don't like the look of e-fans) a/c would not be an issue.

I just fanboi over the thought of an RB25. I know the JZ series is better but I am one of "those guys" Nissan in a Nissan type of thing.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #52
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Nothing wrong with being a fanboi lol

And that is why the S15 (and purchasing the newest item you can afford). Those ittems (injectors, turbo, etc) would add up to the difference in price essentially however you would have an engine about 10 years newer than a S13.

A 280-300WHP S chassis is plenty in day to day life.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #53
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
Sort of, I see a lot of cut-up home projects that would have been far better at a reputable shop.

And I have seen bad shop work, and have been a victim of it.

Do what you are capable of doing to your car, but don't be scared to pay a shop either if it's something important you don't really know. My .02.

I use to be all about DIY, but sometimes now I am fine with some help, if you can afford it of course.

Yes, better to have someone else do it then rig it and have to do it twice. At the end of the day it’s all about having a nice reliable car. Which ever way someone chooses.

I have also seen hack jobs from shops and individuals.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #54
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Yes, better to have someone else do it then rig it and have to do it twice. At the end of the day it’s all about having a nice reliable car. Which ever way someone chooses.

I have also seen hack jobs from shops and individuals.
I had a shop steal parts from me. I was injured and had my car there for something I couldn't do. Paid the price for it when someone off FB contacted me and told me the shop had been selling my parts and replacing them with other parts.

I didn't fight it, but I am ticked off. Just going through a ton over the last few years and pursuing that would have been just another thing I didn't have the time or health for, unfortunately.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #55
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
A 5.3 gen4 rod engine (02-04) will support 800 horsepower. That engine will cost maybe $1000~. The 5.3 L33 version will support over 1000hp to the wheels and costs about $2000~. Stock bottom L33 is a record holder in some class or other.

the engine is the cheapest part.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #56
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
By Craigslist numbers the price of 240's is trending down.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #57
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
By Craigslist numbers the price of 240's is trending down.
Well - yeah, does that include shells though? I feel like this is due to condition more than it is of a trend down in pricing?

I will say though, I don't know what has been worse over the last 10 years - the hella inflation or the whining about it. It's annoying. Let people sell their car for what they want to. The higher they sell, the better for those of us who have 1 or 2 owner clean s-chassis lol.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #58
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
everyone loves low prices that the truth. thats what the whining is for.

as for the shells i see them from between 500 - 1000

I saw a hatchback automatic that was a 8/10 for about 4000.

but these days for me at least, its more worthwhile to just get a running car. garage space is a hassle in the metro ny area
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #59
240sx_sr20det
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

SR gets a bad name because everyone tries to use them in the US Drift Scene (power battle and constant ON throttle situations). This is mostly because of the track layouts people create in the US. The car never gets a break.

The SR is more reliably used in Japan because MOST of the tracks are off throttle (decelerating) entries. The motor just can't handle what the US "drifters" throw at it. That's why the JZ and LS is so popular here...
240sx_sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #60
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx_sr20det View Post
SR gets a bad name because everyone tries to use them in the US Drift Scene (power battle and constant ON throttle situations). This is mostly because of the track layouts people create in the US. The car never gets a break.

The SR is more reliably used in Japan because MOST of the tracks are off throttle (decelerating) entries. The motor just can't handle what the US "drifters" throw at it. That's why the JZ and LS is so popular here...
I agree with some of that for sure, but I feel like some of that is largely perception from US people. A friend of mine owns a pretty well known performance shop in Japan - and he thinks the pricing of US SRs are crazy. He says most dudes there want RB or JZ, and the SR is a choice purely because of the cheap cost and ease of swapping - dudes just rag them until they blow up.

SR is a good motor, but just saying from my relatively anecdotal yet relevant info. Still love mine, so whatever lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
everyone loves low prices that the truth. thats what the whining is for.

as for the shells i see them from between 500 - 1000

I saw a hatchback automatic that was a 8/10 for about 4000.

but these days for me at least, its more worthwhile to just get a running car. garage space is a hassle in the metro ny area
I wouldn't call an old s13 for 4k a trend down though, that's kind of my point. Especially automatic.

I think prices have stayed about the same over the last 5 years, prices seem to trend down a tad IMO due to the horrible condition of most of the cars today.

I don't think I will ever sell my current s14. I have had it for nearly half of my life, I am the 2nd owner. My first s-chassis (a white 2 owner hatch) I got from working when I was 14 years old. I had always wanted a white hatch because my sister had one back in the late 90s, and as a kid who got interested in that car drifting kind of just became a thing for me back in the super early 00s. When I bought the car for $2500, I couldn't even drive the car outside of track events which back then were like 1 venue per state (if that), we had to drive 3 hours to the track. I had to have someone drive it there so I could drive it if I wanted on the track lol.

Over the years I have owned every USDM s-chassis, proudly. I never tried to sell them for a ton, but my point is that I was paying sub 4k for ridiculously clean s-chassis in the mid 00s. So prices have definitely sky rocketed, and now I think they are simply stabilizing.

How the world turns, I suppose. Is what it is. I don't really care about the drift tax stuff, to me - it's great for the value of my s14 if I ever do sell it. But I also can't stand the constant whining probably more so than the over inflated price for rotting chassis. It makes out scene look so darn juvenile.