Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Starter relay location

I searched but only saw the little blue relay on manual s13's. I have an automatic sohc, and where it looks like the relay should be (between battery and fender) it's plugged from the factory.

I just got a new starter within the last month because my oem one wouldnt stop whirring (eventually stopped and fried the starter). Today, when I cranked the car up one time (after previously cranking it right before) the new starter started doing the same thing but I hurried and disconnected the neg. terminal. Took it to the autoparts store and it tested good.

So before I try to crank it up again, anyone know the location of one for an automatic? I dont see it in the FSM and I can't find it from searching.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
There isn't one for the automatic. The starter relay is used to enable starting by pushing the clutch switch on manual vehicles, automatics run straight from the key switch through the interlock on the transmission.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
There isn't one for the automatic. The starter relay is used to enable starting by pushing the clutch switch on manual vehicles, automatics run straight from the key switch through the interlock on the transmission.
So it's possibly an ignition switch problem?

Weirdest thing: I took it to get tested, and it was the same as a new one. Put it back in, made sure everything was tight and nothing touching, and voila. Running fine.

Still, any other ideas since it's a automatic?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:26 AM   #4
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What Russ is talking about is the blue relay notoriously known for going bad in this link: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=106125

The starter itself doesn't have a relay, as you can see here. It connects straight to the battery with thick wiring. It can handle the large voltage. The only relay is for the clutch interlock relay, which bypasses the starter if you don't step on the clutch pedal.

As said above, the auto doesn't have the clutch relay because it doesn't have a clutch. Look at #1 in my sig, AT and EL section.

Suspect a bad starter inhibitor switch. Check the FSM for info. Also suspect a bad ignition switch if the inhibitor is okay.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
Neejay
Post Whore!

That shit looks hard to diagnose. Looks like I have to remove the automatic shifter assembly and its right there...at least I think. Jeez, its like getting punished for having an automatic.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neejay
That shit looks hard to diagnose. Looks like I have to remove the automatic shifter assembly and its right there...at least I think. Jeez, its like getting punished for having an automatic.
Look in the FSM in the EL and AT sections for the location of the inhibitor switch. It's actually not in the shifter where you would expect it to be.

There are also threads on here about the location of the inhibitor switch.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Neejay
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
Look in the FSM in the EL and AT sections for the location of the inhibitor switch. It's actually not in the shifter where you would expect it to be.

There are also threads on here about the location of the inhibitor switch.
I thought it was there AFTER looking in the FSM, LOL.

I must have missed where it said it was located or misunderstood.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I believe it is on the right side of the tranny. I would say ignition switch because the inhibitor switch is only going to recieve power when the ignition is in the start position and completes the circuit to the starter motor if it is in N or P, so even if the inhibitor switch shorted that means it would most likely start in every gear.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
Neejay
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin240
I believe it is on the right side of the tranny. I would say ignition switch because the inhibitor switch is only going to recieve power when the ignition is in the start position and completes the circuit to the starter motor if it is in N or P, so even if the inhibitor switch shorted that means it would most likely start in every gear.
Well, the car starts but the starter will just keep whirring like it's whinding up (with my old starter and once so far with the new one).

But I was thinking ignition switch too because it sounds like something is sending too much juice to the starter causing it to stay engaged. My ignition shakes too when I take the key in and out (the lock itself moves up and down).
Old 07-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Ok what you ignition switch does is it sends 12volts to the start terminal on the starter motor (which activates the pull in and hold in windings oof the solenoid and then the starter engages and turns the engine over. So there is most likely 12volts still being sent to that start terminal of your starter or the starting is sticking, but you have a new starter so that is not the problem.

As you said you ign. switch moves or shakes so it is most likely the ign. switch.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:20 AM   #11
Reido

Reido is an unknown quantity at this point
I am running into a similar issue on my canadian 5spd sr20 s13, except its intermittent. I allready fried one starter and i just put a new one in, i did a voltage test on the signal wire to the starter and when key is first turned on its at 0v (normal) upon cranking it reads 12v (normal) but after cranking with the key still on it reads 3v (is this right?). So far the starter has only stayed engaged once since iv replaced it, it seems that after the start it had just enough power to pop out the starter gear but not spin the starter leaving the engine to turn the starter motor with its power. Any input would be much appreciated seeing as it is my daily driver thanks!
Reido is offline   Reply With Quote