Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
nismo tuned s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
nismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her selfnismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her selfnismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ACT 6 puck clutch destroying slave cylinders?

I'm using the NX1-HDG6 clutch kit from ACT. I installed that clutch/pressure plate along with a Nismo slave cylinder, pivot ball, and SS braided line. After a month or two, the clutch wasn't engaging/disengaging properly. I replaced the master cylinder, deleted all the unnecessary piping, and it still wasn't working properly. After a $1000 trip to the Nissan dealership, they found out that the slave cylinder wasn't working. I am now on my third slave cylinder. Is there anything I can do (besides removing the clutch) to prevent this from happening?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
oh please tell me this shit is a joke... i JUST bought the exact clutch, and it's on its way to my house. I've already replaced the slave cylinder in my car twice, and the master cylinder twice, ran all new clutch line and hose... i was thinking after replacing all that, i could sleep a little easier knowing my entire clutch setup will be brand new... i hope this is just a solo event.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I was running a ACT Heavy Duty PP and Street Disc, plus stock cylinders, pivots, lines etc. for 3 years with no issues.

I recently removed the damping loop, put on a new OEM slave cylinder, SS line, ACT sprung 6-puck, and ACT lightweight flywheel.

I have been on that setup now for 5 months with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

The only reason I could see that you are blowing out slaves are either that you are seriously mashing the shit out of the pedal, or you are somehow overextending the plunger.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
nismo tuned s14
Zilvia Junkie

nismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her selfnismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her selfnismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
The only reason I could see that you are blowing out slaves are either that you are seriously mashing the shit out of the pedal, or you are somehow overextending the plunger.
What are some other ways I could be overextending the plunger? I don't really mash the pedal, I just push it normally since it's a daily driver. My last clutch worked fine for five years.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
what fluid are you using for the clutch slave. for the last couple of years these are the things i've notice.

my ACT clutch is fine but my clutch slave always leaked. and i've replaced it twice but i've swapped out the fluid out to automatic trans fluid and it doesnt leak no more.

these are the things i've went through. it seems like the clutch slave shit is eating the seals in the clutch slave over a period of time.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
nismo tuned s14
Zilvia Junkie

I've used ATF before, but the fluid that's in there right now is whatever the Nissan shop put in there. It should be legit, but you never know. It was fucking up with the ATF, too.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
eh?
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
eh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've had my 6 puck solid disk for 7 years with no problems.
I've daily'd it in nyc traffic for a year with no issues.

Wait your putting ATF in your clutch line??
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
nismo tuned s14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh? View Post

Wait your putting ATF in your clutch line??
No, not at the moment.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
I am using DOT-4 brake fluid in the clutch line, no issues.

Are you running stock master cylinder?

Where is your pedal adjustment set at?

You should be able to check with one person in the car, one person under the car, if the slave is being "overextended"

However if you are using the stock MC, I very much doubt this is the case.

Daily driven
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
nismo tuned s14
Zilvia Junkie

I'm pretty sure I'm running DOT-4 as well. I'm running a new OEM master cylinder. The adjustment is adjusted almost all the way out. It started off right in the middle, but as the slave cylinder got worse, I had to adjust the rod out to get the plunger to push the pressure plate far enough.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
If the slave is over extending, that means you have the wrong TOB (too short). You need to either replace the TOB or get a substitute slave cylinder stud that is slightly longer than what you have. I've used a bolt as a substitute before, just grind it and round off the ends so theyll sit properly into the slave cylinder plunger.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
nismo tuned s14
Zilvia Junkie

I did have trouble installing the TOB. However, Nissan installed the last TOB. It doesn't make sense that the slave cylinder works fine for a couple of months, then goes to shit. Would a short TOB cause this, or would a short TOB make it not work properly right off the bat? I've thought about putting a socket on the end to give me a couple of extra millimeters.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #13
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

If it was working before, then started not working, it's probably not the throw-out bearing.

Sounds like for some reason you are blowing the seals on your slave cylinders or something.

hard to tell....sorry

Daily driven
Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
SinGarage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
SinGarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
This seems similar to what I went through b4. If it's the clucth master seals, easiest way to tell was you fluid in it is a grayish color and your pedal is a little spongy. I went through 3 clutch master before I figured out it was the fluid I was using. I changed to DOT 5 fluid and never happen again even since. Hope that helps.
SinGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
dongoesby
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
dongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
i'm under the amazement of what you did in Nissan for $1000

if Nissan swap out the TOB for you, did you check if it is the right one? although it is hard to get messed up since Z32 and 240sx use the same TOB, it is still a chance.

i also want to say that nismo slave isn't the best option, since it does not give the same length of travel as the stock slave gives. Try to go back to back to stock 15/16" slave and bleed it with the correct procedure.

if it doesn't solve the problem, most likely something wrong inside (wrong tob, loosen bolt or something bend)
dongoesby is offline   Reply With Quote