Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
somebody

Trader Rating: (0)
somebody is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Z31 electric gremlins

To start, I'll say, hello, I'm new here. I used to have an 89 300zx na some years back, got nostalgic for it and today I picked up a clean, but still old 87 300zx Turbo, a christmas present to myself, I suppose.

So I notice all ready that the guages and taillights don't light up at all until the car warms up a few minutes, they seem to function normally once the car is warm. I used to have an old civic that the cluster and taillights were on the same fuse, that would sometimes pop. So I'll start probably with swapping some new fuses in and see what happens...

The driver's window will go down a few inches, then slow to a stop, like a record, burrr... then after a few seconds it will let me go a few more inches, burrr... sometimes it's unresponsive, then after a few tries it rolls back up.
I'm gonna guess maybe it needs a new window motor? I don't know.

Then the oil temp gauge seems to be nonfunctional, probably a bad sensor?
The oil pressure reads fine, the oil temp needle won't move, it just sits there, doing nothing useful.

I'm very excited to be back in the world of the Zcar, I know there are some other Z connoisseurs out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151223_153506.jpg (264.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151223_153526.jpg (255.8 KB, 2 views)
somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
somebody

So I'm not sure if anybody is interested but I sorted the causes out, I think. I might wager that probably nobody is interested, these z31s get no love... sadness. I think my new mission in life will be to collect as many z31 turbos as I can, save these ladies from a sad demise in a scrapyard. I'm now a collector, with one z in my collection.

Gauge/Taillight malfunction
- it appears this is associated with the headlight switch, the internals begin to short over time according to sources, common problem. I've got a new one in a box, waiting to be installed, should solve the problem.

One cool side effect of the faulty switch is that if I flip it just right, my headlights come on but stay down... so zleepy

Windows sometimes hesitate - this one actually seems to have subsided mostly, I read that the regulators and motors are usually responsible.

Oil temp/press guage - I think probably the sending unit for the guage is bad, I'll be getting a new one soon.

As for now I've got a full set of belts, hoses, a water pump, thermostat, and some other basic maintenance goodies ready to be installed, just a few more parts in the mail on the way.

Future plans:
starter, distributor, plugs, wires, ac delete, digital to analog heater swap, coilovers with supporting camber/caster adjustable bits from rt.trackpro, full poly bushings, sway/torsion bars, wheels/spacers, z32/other brake upgrade, pathfinder intake manifold, turbo upgrade/rebuild, boost controller, nistune ecu (maybe)... some day down the road it'll get a new/rebuilt engine/transmission package as well.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
somebody

Some inspirations