Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
nopro240

Trader Rating: (0)
nopro240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a Boost Conroller with PowerFC

Hi, I know this is a dumb question, and I'm sorry, but I've searched a lot and can't seem to find the answer.

I am going to get my car tuned with a powerFC. It has a T28 and some other mods on a Redtop, swapped into a 1992 240 coupe. It has a greddy type S BOV. I do not have any sort of boost controller. I also do not have the boost controller add-on for the PowerFC.

Here is the question - does the PowerFC control boost thru the stock solenoid or something? If so, will that be good for, say, 15lbs of boost? If it won't be good for that much boost, what is the best way to allow the car to run that much boost when it gets tuned? Adjustable wastegate actuator? Manual / electronic boost controller? I don't need to adjust the boost once its tuned, so that is not an issue.

I want to know what the cheapest way to do this is that will be reliable...im spending a bunch on a tune, dont want the car to blow up!
nopro240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
xsil20x
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
xsil20x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Manual boost controller is probably cheapest route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xsil20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
xsil20x
Zilvia Member

Unless u can get your hands on say a hks actuator for good price then I would go that route if u don’t plan on changing boost levels.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
nopro240

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsil20x View Post
Manual boost controller is probably cheapest route.

OK - what is a good, reliable manual boost controller? Money is not the biggest issue, just want something reliable and to not spend more than I have to.

Quote:
Unless u can get your hands on say a hks actuator for good price then I would go that route if u don’t plan on changing boost levels.
Is the HKS Actuator adjustable?

Last edited by nopro240; 09-07-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
xsil20x
Zilvia Member

Yes hks is

Old 09-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do it right and get the Apexi power fc boost control solenoid that integrates with the power fc
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
xsil20x
Zilvia Member

That’s what I got

Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I would get the Apexi boost control solenoid. Electronic boost control is the best method. Having the ECU do it is even better.

A standalone electronic boost controller (EBC) would be my second choice. Like a GReddy Profec B, or AEM TruBoost.

The HKS actuator would be my third choice. It's half the cost of the EBS options above, but gives you no ability to grow. IIRC, it's set to 12 psi. With your setup I'd be aiming for 15 psi (assuming you have >550cc injectors). But it's only a single boost pressure. The adjustable rod changes the boost curve, not the boost pressure.

My last choice would be a manual boost controller. They spike pretty badly and could end up blowing a motor.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
nopro240

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
I would get the Apexi boost control solenoid. Electronic boost control is the best method. Having the ECU do it is even better.

A standalone electronic boost controller (EBC) would be my second choice. Like a GReddy Profec B, or AEM TruBoost.

The HKS actuator would be my third choice. It's half the cost of the EBS options above, but gives you no ability to grow. IIRC, it's set to 12 psi. With your setup I'd be aiming for 15 psi (assuming you have >550cc injectors). But it's only a single boost pressure. The adjustable rod changes the boost curve, not the boost pressure.

My last choice would be a manual boost controller. They spike pretty badly and could end up blowing a motor.
This is extremely helpful, thank you.

The bummer is - as far as I can tell, the Apexi option is like $550. That seems like an insane price considering I got the whole PowerFC for not much more than that...but as you say, it seems like the best option. I just wish one would pop up used or something.

At the same time, it seems like the electronic boost controllers new and from a reputable brand cost almost as much anyway, so unless I got a good deal on one of those, it seems like I might as well spend the extra hundo and get the Apexi solenoid.

I have 550cc injectors for the build, so as you said, I'm figuring 15psi for the tune, so the HKS actuator is not an option for me.

unfortunately, if I have to cancel the appointment for the tune in 2 weeks, I won't be able to reschedule until the season is pretty much over...so I'm on a definite timeline here and can't wait around for a good deal to pop up.

If anyone finds a good deal on the Apexi unit (or is selling one), pls let me know, that would be amazing
Old 09-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I’m gonna bet that your car does not have the factory boost control solenoid.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #11
kaoliu
Zilvia Member

kaoliu is an unknown quantity at this point
$500!? Which rock are you looking under? Here’s a cheaper source I googled up... https://www.nengun.com/apexi/power-f...controller-kit

I was in your shoes before going with the boost controller add-on to my PowerFC. Makes things easier and a lot less crowded around the dash. Plus the cut-off gives me a little piece of mind from over posting if a vacuum hose were to come off.

kaoliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
nopro240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoliu View Post
$500!? Which rock are you looking under? Here’s a cheaper source I googled up... https://www.nengun.com/apexi/power-f...controller-kit

I was in your shoes before going with the boost controller add-on to my PowerFC. Makes things easier and a lot less crowded around the dash. Plus the cut-off gives me a little piece of mind from over posting if a vacuum hose were to come off.

I saw that price at Nengun - I contacted them and it doesn't look like they'd be able to ship in time for the tune. I basically need a US-based vendor.

The more I think about it, though, the more it seems like buying the Apexi kit is the right way to go. Better to go with a quality setup and do it right than to mess with a crappy MBC and then blow an engine.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #13
kaoliu
Zilvia Member

kaoliu is an unknown quantity at this point
Overnight from FRSport?

https://frsport.com/apexi-415-a013-p...UaAslmEALw_wcB

kaoliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
IMO get an electronic greddy boost controller. like profec B or spec S.

That way you can always use the boost controller with other cars also.

There is no real advantage to using the apexi internal signal generator. It isn't like other stand-alones that allow for boost vs gear for example. Or my favorite, boost vs fuel quality sensing (alcohol content vs boost).
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #15
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have a hks adjustable internal gate on my t28 and have it set @ 15lbs. Just sayin. I would only want or have a ebc if I was running 2 boost settings and want to change on the fly. Like if one had a built motor and wanted hi and low boost. I'm not a fan of mbc and would never run one but that's just me
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #16
nopro240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoliu View Post
Overnight from FRSport?

https://frsport.com/apexi-415-a013-p...UaAslmEALw_wcB

It's on backorder from FRSport or I would've just ordered it from there.

Quote:
IMO get an electronic greddy boost controller. like profec B or spec S.

That way you can always use the boost controller with other cars also.

There is no real advantage to using the apexi internal signal generator. It isn't like other stand-alones that allow for boost vs gear for example. Or my favorite, boost vs fuel quality sensing (alcohol content vs boost).
I really plan on having this build essentially forever (or swap my parts over to another SR-powered S13 shell), but the fact that it's a more universal part would make it easier to sell or use on a different vehicle. I also happen to have a lot of dash space anyway, so I'm not worried about the clutter or anything. But it seems ideal to have this running with the ECU.

Last edited by nopro240; 09-11-2018 at 01:32 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 01:31 AM   #17
nopro240

Hey, for what it's worth, I wound up getting the Apexi boost controller kit. Finally wound up locating one for a pretty reasonable price that was in-stock and available to ship immediately. Really spent a lot of time debating whether to go the EBC route instead, but as many people stated on this post, getting the Apexi unit seemed like the way to 'do it right'.

Thanks for all the help