Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Joobie610 is making a name for him/her selfJoobie610 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ziptie '97 180sx from Aus

Website/Blog: http://ziptiemotorsports.com.au/
IG: https://www.instagram.com/ztms_joobie/

Hi guys,

So I thought I might start a thread here for my 180. This has been ongoing for a few years now with a bit of a break in the middle due to life. Having owned the car since 2011, I've had it too long now (in my eyes) to part with it.

As a bit of background, I've owned a couple of cars before this one. When I turned 17 and first got my provisional licence (P plates in aus, you get 4 points for the first 3 years of driving and can't drive anything with a certain power to weight ratio), I had a really terrible paying job and spent every cent I had buying an imported r32 GTS-T off a friend (keep in mind, most of these cars were also sold locally in Aus). It was completely standard in every way, and I loved that car. I have lots of pieces left of it going into my 180 as I crashed it, and before I fixed it up, a cyclone came through town and drowned it. No real pics though, as smartphones were only just coming out and I couldn't afford one, let alone a decent camera.

After it was drowned, I gave up on it and bought a few buckets of crap before I bought my next import - a JDM Spec R s15, not the watered down version delivered locally. Won't lie, crashed that too. This is thanks to one of my friends:

Ended up fixing that and selling it to buy my Kouki 180.

This will take a little while to catch up, so bare with me.

So this is what I have to work with for the moment. Doesn’t look like much, but it made 282rwkw on 22psi before I bought it.

Specs so far:

GT3076r .64 exh
Tial 44mm external gate
3 inch turbo back zorst
Hybrid FMIC
Splitfire coilpacks
800cc injectors
Power FC Djetro
HSD Remote Canister Coilovers
32 GTR front calipers
Slotted Rotors (custom drilled 4 x 114.3 pcd)
Bigger fuel pump (unknown)
Stage 1 cams (unknown)
GK Tech Rear Camber/Traction/Toe
Greenstuff Pads
Few other things I can’t think of ATM.

Took it to the drags for its first outing and promptly blew the piston rings in the first run… Managed a 13.4 @ 115mph. 2.6 60ft time let me down a decent amount.

Turns out it was the ring land in cylinder 3 that went bye bye. Kept driving it anyway. Compression is overrated. Only difference is that now it blew wicked flames after giving it the berries. I never claimed to be a smart man. Didn't really do any further damage once I tore it down for inspection.

The next three years are ones I would rather forget when it comes to this car.

I made a mistake in trying to buy an LS1. What I would give to not deal with bogans (read: rednecks) again... Ended up $3.5k down the drain and nothing to show for it.

Before I tore the SR out though, I bought a camera and tried to work out how to use it. Failed miserably. This is how the car looked the last time it had rego.

I can hear you groan from here. Don't judge me.

Stickers were cool 5 years ago. :deke:

If you visited my blog, you will notice the lack of updates. I'm attempting to fill in the blanks between then and now, and will update here once I've gotten it sorted (too many pics, so little time).

Last edited by Joobie610; 10-12-2018 at 12:47 AM..
Joobie610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Joobie610 is making a name for him/her selfJoobie610 is making a name for him/her self
So skipping ahead a bit, I'll start getting to the good stuff.

I mentioned using parts from my old Skyline in this car. I pilfered the 5 bolt half shafts for the added strength, the center to go with (as you can't use the skyline half shafts with the 180 center) and rear case for the bigger oil capacity and cooling capabilities.

Everything is only dummy fit in this pic. I have bought all PBM arms for the rear, and am getting new bushes pressed into the standard knuckles. When I can afford it, I'll be upgrading to the new style PBM drop knuckles.

You can read my re-shim guide - full of images - here: http://ziptiemotorsports.com.au/that...el-diff-erent/

While the back end was apart, I bought a set of GKTech reinforcement plates for the rear subframe and had my friends workshop weld them in, re-spray the frame and burn the old bushes out.

Bought new solid subframe risers as the car won't be my daily.

And new goodies to suit the M-Spec r32 brakes all around. Project Mu deliciousness.

And QFM HPX for the calipers which are a 'performance/street' pad. I have friends who run and rave about them.

With any luck, the callipers will be back from the powdercoaters before the year is out, but I won't hold my breath. Getting them coated in black with a small silver flake through the clear.

Last edited by Joobie610; 12-19-2015 at 08:10 PM..
Old 12-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Engine wise, I've decided I'm sticking with the SR20 for now. I really want to run an RB26, but I also want to drive the car sometime within the next 10 years, and the RB just isn't financially viable. Instead, I'll blow all my money on the tractor motor.

I bought this off a friend. No idea what I did with the other pictures of the head, but I will get some more ASAP.

The head was stripped and rebuilt on the standard bottom end (roughly 60,000kms) using all new Brian Crower gear.

- 264 deg. camshafts in/ex with 12mm lift
- Adjustable cam gears
- Single springs with titanium retainers and billet locks
- New or upgraded (I'm not sure, and not hugely stressed) valves
- New valve guides

The engine also had a new oil pump, was decked and a slightly larger than standard Apexi MLS head gasket fitted with an s15 timing chain tensioner (better version I'm told).

When I bought it, my friend pulled it out of his r32 coupe after only travelling about 20,000kms. For the time being, it will stay together as I know it works and will comfortably make 250rwkw which is my eventual aim.

Started buying a few new bits for it:

Rocker cover with shaved breathers and -10AN fittings welded on in place.

Not a fan of the black crinkle coat. Will be getting it blasted and re-painted at some point similar to my friends workshop car. Will have the Ziptie Motorsports logo milled into it too.

While I've been cleaning the motor up, I sent all of the engine brackets away for blasting and repainting in gloss black for that OEM kind of feel.

Have been sorting an oil filter relocation and cooler while I'm at it. TAARKS relocation block, GREX filter housing with inbuilt thermostat and a homebrand cooler core (only because I picked it up for $20).

Greddy Gauges pictured are 2x Temp and 1x Pressure. Have asked my friend at Proximity (the local workshop I keep mentioning) to order me an ATTAIN gauge pod for s13 whenever his next shipment comes through.

Last edited by Joobie610; 12-19-2015 at 09:59 PM..
Old 12-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I don't think the pictures are large enough...

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Hahaha what's going on in here?
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I don't think the pictures are large enough...
Yeah, shit links, my bad. Fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWGarage View Post
Hahaha what's going on in here?
At a guess, I edited the first post. Waiting on mod approval again?
Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

As for round things, I've managed to snag some of my favourite wheels of all time. They'll be refurbished and possibly widened before the car is finished.

SSR SP1 Professor
17x8 -10
17x9 -9

Not a huge fan of the widths, but the offset is pretty spot on. Thats the 17x8 on the rear with a few degrees of camber haha

I'm probably going to sell this pair and try to find some 18x10 in decent offset for the rear. Will make the guards fit the wheels.

New centre caps to suit the wheels.

Couple of quick pics of the car as it has been moved in and out of the shed.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
drewr4411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I like your persistence but that s15 was gorgeous. I don't know if I could switch to a s13 after owning that.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quality build going on here. I am excited to see how this S13 hatch comes out!
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewr4411 View Post
I like your persistence but that s15 was gorgeous. I don't know if I could switch to a s13 after owning that.
Thanks, but the 15 just wasn't me, I prefer the popup 80's style. For street driving, it was the same as the 180 with a slightly newer interior ('99 vs '97). I couldn't really tell the difference chassis wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Quality build going on here. I am excited to see how this S13 hatch comes out!
Cheers! I've learnt the hard way about buying cheap parts. Won't be making that mistake again.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

I haven't posted this car online really. Thinking a few people might appreciate it.

It's my misso's JZX110 daily. 1JZ-GTE auto. We imported it from Japan through Iron Chef Imports. 2001 model with 24,000kms on the clock, auction grade 4.5A.

It's what Japan got instead of the Camry...

Have done a few little things to it.

Powerhouse Amuse Titanium cat-back exhaust. Sooo pretty!

And just recently I got around to fitting an Apexi Intake kit

I wasn't hugely impressed with the casting of the AFM housing.

So I cleaned it up a little. Not perfect, but better.

Out with the old

Filter was a bit manky

Transferred the AFM

Bolted it in. Almost done.

Brackets line up with standard holes. Kit came with all new bolts.

Done!

Will post more about the 180 soon.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #12
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Keeping on with the gathering parts theme, I ordered this at the same time as the Apexi intake kit. Even though Greddy Japan didn't have any in stock on the Thursday, I had it in my hot little hands the following Friday. Ridiculous.

I'm not sure if they normally work over weekends, but they were making calls on the Sunday to say that it was currently being cast and will be shipped the following day. Couldn't believe it. Makes me want to build a Greddy demo car haha

That scratch happened during transport, but I'm not fazed in the slightest as the plenum will be going for powder coating some time in January.

Christmas! Woo!

My brakes came back from the coaters on Christmas Eve. So happy with how they turned out. Ink black powder with a silver flake through the clear.

Will be rebuilding the rears in the next few days as I've had seal kits for a while now. Still need to order seal kits for the front.

Also got a couple of dress-up parts from my better half as the fat man only got me star wars stuff haha

Old 01-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #13
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks nice man.
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #14
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good start with the 180.
But for goodness sake, please don't crash this one....lol
Old 01-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Looks nice man.
Thanks! [emoji1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
Good start with the 180.
But for goodness sake, please don't crash this one....lol
Hahaha yeah... I really should put some perspective in behind that.

Both the 32 and the 15 were crashed Street drifting. Before anyone jumps on and calls me a fuckwit, hear me out.

So until 2013 I was living in a place called Townsville. It's way up north near the best places to see the great barrier reef. The closest raceway that held/allowed drift events was 1400kms away.

While it shouldn't really be justification for it, I've only really been able to afford multiple cars (tow car and drift car) very recently. On top of that, the costs for travelling that far for a 4 hour event are rather prohibitive.

Ever since 2012 though (after I blew up the sr) there has been a local club called MADDinc, running events on a go-kart track in Proserpine. On top of that, I moved to Mackay which is 4-5 hours south of Townsville and only 1.5 hours away from prossy.

I've grown up a bit since then too, and go well out of my way to discourage Street drifting/dragging/racing. I also became the unofficial event photographer for MADDinc and while I've only driven 1 event, I've been attending and helping run/promoting through photos and videos the events since the club started.

In the last month, I've also taken on Presidency of MADDinc (it's a not-for-profit club) and am trying to keep the local events running which is harder than you might think. People are still reluctant to travel that far which really shits me. I guess they use distance as an excuse to get away with streeting so I really can't judge.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Neat Build.

Toyota had me freaked out for a second, looks like a EM/EK Civic front. Oh Toyota.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #17
rellik27
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
rellik27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looking good so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Neat Build.

Toyota had me freaked out for a second, looks like a EM/EK Civic front. Oh Toyota.
Lol I thought the exact same thing.
rellik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #18
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Neat Build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik27 View Post
Looking good so far

Lol I thought the exact same thing.
Cheers lads. Most people here think its a corolla from front on haha. Honda scene is pretty small.

Had a little bit of time to work on the car lately, so I started prepping to rebuild the rear callipers. Turns out that the kits don't have the mating o-rings, and the only ones I could find at work ended up having too much protrusion. Will need to pick some up from the local supplier.

Really need to clean up this shambles. Too much tooling sitting around. Need to get a job where I can keep it all at work. #firstworldproblems

Probably a good thing that I didn't have the o-rings, as the way some of these parts looked was doing my head in.

The pin closest to the camera was still dirty, the one further away has been hit with brake cleaner and a light sand. As these are the retaining pins for the pad, I couldn't bring myself to drive the car knowing they were in this condition. I ended up ordering new pins all around. They'll come with the seal kits and a new brake light switch stopper (the green plastic bit on the pedal lever) as I've replaced it on every Nissan that I've owned.

Happy with how the retaining springs were coming up.

No real corrosion, just some light marking. Came off with a quick light sand. Ran out of sandpaper, will get more and finish sanding the tight crevasses before fitting.

Didn't take a pic of the pin retainers, but they're fine. Will do so when I assemble the callipers.

Got bored with taking photos of the brakes for no real reason, so I started chopping the loom up for relocation. So far, I've cut out all the sections that I will need to run up to the headlights/horn/Air con receiver-dryer. I'm going about it similar to CamryOnBronze and running those up each frame rail under the guard. My plan was to run the relay box under the dash, but put the fuse box into the battery box. I'll have to wait and see when I get closer to the finish line. For now, here is what I cut out of the loom.

Lots more to come in that department.

While I was online ordering things, I got a bit carried away. I'm getting a price for an ORC twin plate kit shipped, so hopefully that won't be much more than I'm expecting. The purchase price is cheaper than RHDJapan, just hoping they don't rape me on shipping and tax.

So the twin plate would normally kill an SR box after the first clutch kick. So, I kinda gave the standard box to a friend in exchange for modifying some steering components (they'll be done in the next week I hope, so more on that later). Not really an issue, because I bought a z33 6-speed off him a couple of years ago when he was short of cash.

Again, I got carried away when ordering and decided that the best conversion kit is made in Australia by one of the ID boys, Para.

https://www.facebook.com/InsaneDrifters/

No such thing as a 'Pro' drifter here really. These boys are competing at the highest level in Australia though, so that's kinda the same thing.

I'm sending my bell housing down to him in Victoria this week for machining. It gets machined, matched to a plate and dowelled before he test fits it to make sure it all goes together properly.

It comes with a custom made braided line (I'm getting mine done in black), single piece tail-shaft (optional extra, you can get a front half only and keep the two-piece), and a gearbox crossmember that lowers the rear of the box slightly, and still allows use of the standard rubber s13 mount (I'll end up buying a nismo one). But that isn't even the best bit!

It's the newest design shifter. Comes out in the standard location and even features reverse lock-out. Much excite, many wow. No modification of the trans tunnel needs to be made, and everything clears without the need to bash the crap out of your chassis.

I did ask if the lean would affect the motor or the tailshaft pinion angles, and he assures me that it all works fine. The rear of the motor is down approx. 3mm from standard, and that the tailshaft angles work correctly. That includes the single piece ones used in many 350rwkw+ cars down south. If it does look a bit suss when I fit it up though, I'll probably machine or space the diff housing to suit the angles better.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #19
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Didn't order the ORC as the supplier was giving the ring around and trying to get more money out of me as the list price was apparently listed as a twin plate instead of a single. Didn't matter that the images showed a twin. Told them to jog on and bought this instead.

Hopefully it will pair with the z33 box without issue.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #20
pjurisprudencia
Leaky Injector

pjurisprudencia is an unknown quantity at this point
oh man, that super coppermix is looking sick!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #21
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
I like where this is going...

Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #22
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Not really much of an update, have spent too much time out of town lately. And I broke my DSLR at a drift event recently (it got wet) so phone pics are shit.

Anyway, I decided to start dummy fitting a few parts to see what I need ordered to finish the temporary motor. Started putting the intake on the SR, and worked out which hoses need to be ordered. That will happen over the easter weekend.

I also picked up a few suspension goodies this afternoon.

I'll take some better photos over the weekend when I mount them.

Rack has been moved forward about as far as possible (~30mm from memory), lcas extended 25mm and boxed, and a custom power brace that has been chopped for low cars before being boxed.

Oh and the TAARKS box is full of brand new, genuine Nissan bolts ex Japan. Big lead time on those mofos. Ordered over a month ago. Worth every cent to make sure I have the right gear. Just a shame they dont sell the brake calliper bolts separately.

So much more stuff coming. Waiting sucks.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #23
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice build man i love the attention to detail on this one. That Toyota is a crazy car. i wish i could spend a few years of my life overseas!
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #24
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Today's plan:

I got the PBM stuff a while back, but decided to fix up the Subframe, do the bushes etc before fitting.

I also took a few more pics of the Proximity gear.

Power brace:

LCAs with new bushes and balljoints:

Front Crossmember:

Old 03-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #25
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
Nice build man i love the attention to detail on this one. That Toyota is a crazy car. i wish i could spend a few years of my life overseas!
Cheers man. Trying to do it the right way so it'll last.

The 110 is a good car. Bit boring, but better than my Patrol haha

Old 03-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #26
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Glad to see you're still plugging away on this thing!

Old 03-25-2016, 01:19 AM   #27
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Glad to see you're still plugging away on this thing!
Haha yeah, I'm not in any rush! Been a few years now, will probably be a few more yet

Old 04-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #28
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

I gon dun goofed. HR31 GTSX Coupe.

Don't let the pictures fool you, it is rough. Like housepaint and brush touchups rough. Estimate $2k and it will be drivable as a daily.

Build thread here: http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/inde...topic=158972.0

Have parts for the 180 arriving this week while I'm away for work Should be pretty interesting stuff though.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #29
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

I get all my parts from YAJ sent to my friends workshop by his contact. Usually with other bits and pieces to save on postage or protect something fragile. It really helps with some things that I can't be home for, because the last thing I want is something valuable stolen from my front door/driveway.

Well, today my friend sent me this photo:

So. Damn. Excited.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #30
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
wooooow in the og box
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote