Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
heywier427

Trader Rating: (0)
heywier427 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine/Transmission level point.

Is there a position where the engine/transmission "should" be.

Like optimal? I know it doesnt matter a whole lot, but Im fabbing mounts, and nows the time to know.

I have a det in nissan hardbody. Engine mounts are stock diesel Navara mounts.

I twisted the driveshaft and upgraded to a better shaft, but I know my pinion angles are not optimal. Like to get this all done and corrected.

So, in the picture below, is the flat surface above the transmission mount (like directly under the shifter input), is that supposed to be level?

When the transmission mount is loose, the engine wants to twist to the drivers side, but the "best" (at the moment) pinion angle is pulled 2" over to the pass side. When I left it in the neutral position, I had driveline vibrations.

You can see that the flat surface Im talking about is tilted downward slightly towards the drivers side/left hand side.

Should that be level? Is there a recognized point on the engine block for leveling?

Thanks.

[/url]

P.s. Dont mind the grime. Shes a dirty leaky pig. She will be fixed.

Pss. Lift is level. Transmission mount is level. Tires are all the same psi.

Last edited by heywier427; 03-09-2018 at 04:13 PM..
heywier427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
on the sr20 I always set them so the sump is flat/parallel to the ground etc..
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
heywier427

heywier427 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply.

The rb transmission ended up being done for, so the mount fabbing is on hold till the z32 trans adapter gets here.

I will put the engine in direct line with the rear end (isuzu dana 44), and the oil/sump pan level.

Thanks.
heywier427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
http://www.quickperformance.com/Pini...ent_ep_45.html
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/91758/

"Recently, I've begun getting questions from the street rod crowd. They aren't so much concerned about straightline traction as they are a smooth, vibration free ride. So this requires consideration of the front u-joint's working angle, as well as the rear. You want these angles to be equal, but opposite. "
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Also another thing to consider is the air in the engine, you want it to go towards the front where the rad outlet is, so that should be the higher(est) point of the engine.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote