Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
UniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Cup Holder for S14

Hey everybody,

I just released the console box cup holder for the LHD S13 and someone brought to my attention that the S14's also didn't come with a cup holder, so this is me looking into that. The problem is that I don't have a S14 in my possession so I need a little help if I'm going to make one for S14 owners too.

What I would initially like is the dimensions of the console box: Length, Width, Depth, and also the same for the rectangular pocket just behind the shifter.

I have a console on the way but it's going to take a week to get here and I want to get a better idea of what I can do with it now.

Here's a pic of the S13 one so you can get an idea of what it might look like when it's done.

Thanks for the help,
-Jason
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm excited to someone create something we've been needing for a long time!

Some tips and must-haves: The cups need to sit as low in the console as possible. The transmission tunnel is high and the shifter sits low. Not much elbow room for cups.

Designing a new console lid hinge would be a huge advantage. I'm a short 5' 7" and my elbow will contact an open console lid during every shift. The console lid will need:
A. to be removed completely or
B. to flip all the way back instead of just straight up or
C. to slide rearward (and forward) like the Mini Cooper console lids.

Extra credit for cupholders with Streetglow preinstalled.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

UniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the rough
I probably won't redesign the lid or hinges if I don't have to, but I thank you for your input. I'll put the deepest cups I can in it but I don't want people to have to do any permanent mods to their console when using my cup holder. If you find the lid to be a problem you could always just unbolt it like you suggested, but personally I haven't had any issues running the lid in the up position on my own S13 while I'm using the holder.

I can still use those specs if anyone feels like doing a little measuring for me.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
ecliptic240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ecliptic240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll get the measurements in the morning for ya UAC.
ecliptic240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Are these not cup holders..? lol

mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
It would be better to have that useless pocket become the cup holder than using up the arm rest.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post

Keep in mind, not all S14's came with the slot for that divider piece.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can you make a padded lid for the center console? It doesn't matter where the drink is located in the 240, it's going to interfere with your shifting, whether your hand hits the drink in the ash tray hole or your elbow hits your drink in the center console, so paying $50 to have the same issue is questionable for me.

The only location that works for a drink is to the right of the radio using the passenger left knee area. If you can make a holder that will mount up using the center console bolt and a plastic clip that would reach the cd bin, then that's a beneficial product.

Good luck! PADDED CENTER CONSOLE LID for my fragile elbows ftw!!!
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How about a cup holder that goes behind the center console, over the hump in the middle?

You know that middle hump where the rear passengers keep their feet, why not just have 2 floating cup holders in that and have it mounted to the center console?

I doubt many of us will be drinking while driving unless we're on the highway.

Something like this

Except mounted behind the center console

Maybe instead of having to drill new holes, we just use the hinge for the center console cover and we might need to shave some off for clearance for your brackets
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Don't over think it. Something clean like this in the middle tray is fine. For S14 of course.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
Keep in mind, not all S14's came with the slot for that divider piece.
So the divider piece just drops in there? I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
The only location that works for a drink is to the right of the radio using the passenger left knee area. If you can make a holder that will mount up using the center console bolt and a plastic clip that would reach the cd bin, then that's a beneficial product.
Good luck! PADDED CENTER CONSOLE LID for my fragile elbows ftw!!!
That's another good spot. I've considered that one myself. Also you can pad and wrap the lid yourself if the top unbolts from the bottom. I did that to my and my wife's S13's and it is a nice touch. You just need some stretchy material to wrap over the foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
How about a cup holder that goes behind the center console, over the hump in the middle?
That's not a bad idea but I think that may be a bit of a reach for the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
Don't over think it. Something clean like this in the middle tray is fine. For S14 of course.
You are onto the right idea my friend! I love the KISS method.

Ecliptic240 just gave me the specs. Based on those I will probably put two in the console box like I did on the S13 one. He said that it has a 3 5/16" deep pocket so I can use the 3" deep cups and they should fit front to back.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
TwelveAM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
TwelveAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I'll be checking up on this.

The best I've had were the ones I ordered from someone on here that were double taped on the bottom of the dash and door panels.
TwelveAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
CostFree
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
CostFree is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
subscribed.
CostFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #14
jruiz801
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
jruiz801 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dopeeeeee I want one when it's made!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
Hazard240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Hazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post

Those dividers are $80, and from personal experience, they don't hold drinks that well.
Hazard240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

I am waiting for the S14 console I ordered at the moment. Then I'll have to design one and get it into production. So the S14 holders will probably be about a month or so out if everything goes well.

Thanks for the interest everyone!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
If it's cheaper than $80 I'll buy it.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #18
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

I imagine that the S14 one will be priced similar to the S13 console box holder which is priced at $44.99
Old 02-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #19
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
I can send you a console for free
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWGarage View Post
I can send you a console for free
Thanks for the offer, but I've already got it covered this time. I just have to wait until Monday for the other one to come in. I'll keep you in mine if I need something else.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #21
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

I received the console in yesterday so hopefully I can get the drawing started this next week.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #22