Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Fitelite240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Fitelite240 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
800 HP daily rear end. Which one to choose from???

Hello there!

This is actually one of my first forum post's. But I have done a bit of research. But I'm looking for bit more input into this wholeeee rear end situation.

I'm wondering for myself. Here on the zilvia forums there are talks about the GTR and 300zx TT rear end seem to be the answer.

BUT, wouldnt the Ford 8.8 or 9 work? And for cheaper? (Not saying I'm going to cheap out, it's my life at the end of the day, just wondering if I can get the same strength without it being 10k) Obviously with a good bit of fabbing. But, I think in this instance nothing is really gonna bolt up totally easily and perfectly. I'm a few months away from drooping my 6.2L LQ9, it's got a zr1 cam in it and an ls3 top end. I plan on making 6-700 on e85 as well as on boost with a super magnum and a small turbo on like 5lbs of boost, very conservative. Its all going into my 95 240sx. Primarily its a street car with a little aggressive sunday driving. Now, I know that Mazworks has a 8.8 kit that they sell for high horsepower here.

http://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-240sx-8-8-irs-kit.aspx

I also was thinking about maybe a 2017 or 2016 camero rear end. Im not worried about being a purest and keeping it nissan. I rather not lose traction and die. I'll post this on silviav8 and ls1tech as well. Just wanted a bit more info on the matter. Thanks again.

Any and all constructive posts please. Hope you guys have a a great rest of the day.
Fitelite240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
As far as I've seen you'll have to worry about your half shafts before a diff. Which swapping in a different rear end would open you up to different half shafts. But does the means justify it? Imo I wouldn't because of all the fabbing I'm sure needs to be done.

I'm also not saying to throw 700hp at a stock 240 rear end, which many people have done and still do. I just checked that mazworx rear end and that isn't a bad deal at all except the custom axles is a pretty penny.

I'd just slap a good 1.5way in your diff and get better half shafts. That's what I'll be doing but I'll only be around 500whp.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Fitelite240
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the input!! I was going to do 500 which would be feasible with the stock. But pushing it. But I ended up deciding on not settling and went for the big kahuna and got the super magnum. Max hp of 700 is the limit so I wanna get to 600-650 so I can beat in it a bit without worrying about snapping something. I'll ask my fab guy what's the best option. And/or bang for the buck.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
350z should work?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Horsepower doesn't kill drivetrain, torque and how you're trying to put it to the ground does.

If you're building a true street car meaning you'll never put a set of radials or slicks on the car and try to launch it you can try to get away with the 20+ year old Nissan parts.

However the cost of breaking let's say 3 or 4 Q45 or other R230 differentials will quickly exceed the cost of the Mazworx kit which is built to handle over 1,000HP and all the torque you can throw at it. It'll also do that for round after round which I can first hand tell you that the Q45 cant, if you're a seeing is believing kind of guy take a look at this video of one exploding during an event costing them an event.

https://www.facebook.com/mazworxinc/...6850694663112/

Ultimately it's up to you, but I personally have a new found appreciation for the saying "do it right not twice" after trying to save money and cut corners on my own build.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Fitelite240
Zilvia Junkie

Update**

Found some 900hp driveshaft shop axles.
And decided to do the j30 guts in a S15 diff. I've heard there are a good deal of issue's with fitting it all and making it work, so I'll have to see what I can do there.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds to me like you're going to end up snapping off the stub shaft splines in that J30 then, and the j30 vlsd is nothing to write home about.
My only gripe with the Mazworx 8.8 kit is the LSD options, but they should be fine for "drag" car like you're building.

I think your best bet would be a Z33 differential and axles since Maverick has the bushings now to install the Z33 diff in the S14 subframe. Tons stronger than that S15/J30 hodgepodge.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Sounds to me like you're going to end up snapping off the stub shaft splines in that J30 then, and the j30 vlsd is nothing to write home about.
My only gripe with the Mazworx 8.8 kit is the LSD options, but they should be fine for "drag" car like you're building.

I think your best bet would be a Z33 differential and axles since Maverick has the bushings now to install the Z33 diff in the S14 subframe. Tons stronger than that S15/J30 hodgepodge.
By LSD options for the 8.8 what do you mean? There's tons of off the shelf LSD options available for the 8.8 differential.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #9
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
By LSD options for the 8.8 what do you mean? There's tons of off the shelf LSD options available for the 8.8 differential.
I know, I've looked into them. From what I can tell they all seem to be "lockers" or intended for drag racing use (not saying that's a bad thing).

There's no telling how a random clutch type lsd for an 8.8 from a company I've never heard of compares to say, a nice OsGiken 30 plate 2-way that is a dream to both grip drive and drift.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I know, I've looked into them. From what I can tell they all seem to be "lockers" or intended for drag racing use (not saying that's a bad thing).

There's no telling how a random clutch type lsd for an 8.8 from a company I've never heard of compares to say, a nice OsGiken 30 plate 2-way that is a dream to both grip drive and drift.
I think that there just needs to be some more education done for this Mazworx kit, since I left a lot of the technical video content and website descriptions don't get updated.

Here's a clutch type LSD from Ford Racing for the 8.8, this unit is comparable to a 1.5 way in the JDM world and is actually what came factory in the Cobras so it'll drive like an OEM part since it is. This unit also has upgraded carbon friction discs.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...arbondisc.html