Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
ashero2
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
ashero2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR not starting

Need help. Got a s13 with a sr20 in it from a guy and already had problems starting. noticed he had a lawn/garden battery in it that only had a cold crank amps(CCA) of 275 and the car barely was getting any power. replaced the battery with a brand new one with 500 CCA but still no luck. no clicking or anything. electric fans come on and all my lights work. what next to look at?

i did search and didn't see anyone else really having this problem btw for those ppl.

EDIT: When I got the car we had to push start it to get it up but I drove it a little over a 100 miles back home without a problem but didn't turn the car off due to me being worried it wouldn't start up again. so obviously im getting spark and fuel and am running. matter of why it wont start is another problem. and when we are talking about a 100 mile drive, that's an hour and 45 minute drive and scraping up the highway.

Last edited by ashero2; 04-22-2015 at 11:26 AM..
ashero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Check the connections at the starter and make sure there right, then if so hook up a test light on the starter solenoid wire and see if when your turn the key it's getting power.if it is then replace the starter..also try hitting it with a hammer and see if it breaks the starter free.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
ashero2
Leaky Injector

aite will do tomorrow. I asked the guy did he replace the starter and ignition or kept the KA set and put them on the SR. he says its a replaced starter and he kept the ignition off the KA and put it on the swap. I was wondering about that if the starter ignition from a KA would be compatible with a SR and still looking to see if it is or not.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wait what? The ignition switch should be compatible with whatever motor you want to put in your car... even a LS/2J etc. You probably have a blown fuse or are missing a ground somewhere if the motor isn't even turning over.

Also, I see you live in lemoore.. Sorry bout ya
Old 04-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
ashero2
Leaky Injector

nah I was wondering if a KA starter is compatible with a SR. im checking fuses tomorrow. got under the car to check the starter and it seems ok. connections were there and all but I didn't have a test light to test the solenoid. still nothing click or anything. tapped it a couple times with a wrench also and still nothing. sourcing out now to possibly just get a new starter for it.

just to make sure tho, for the starter there was one plug that connected onto it and another big line that looked like was screwed onto it and that's it. is this correct? ill post a pic after work

and yea Lemoore sucks.....but its w.e. its the military
Old 04-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
92SEric240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
92SEric240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
hey man- if it's a manual check if the rubber nub is still on the clutch pedal- There is an interlock that prevents it from starting if this little piece is missing the switch will not get depressed. This or replace the ignition
Old 04-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If there is no clicking, and you have verified that it is not a fuse or relay, check the wiring for the plugs near the battery tray, there are people out there that don't know shit, and could have wired the swap wrong. If you don't wire those plugs correctly (or just plugged the plugs in from the sr into the ka plugs), the car will act as you said, with accessory stuff getting power but no turnover or clicking at all.

check the wiring here v most of it is color to color vvv
http://www.frsport.com/SR20DET-Swap-...SR20_t_26.html

Shouldn't get a new starter until you have verified that that was done correctly
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
The High & Mighty
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (43)
The High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Time to bust out the digital multimeter and check for power and ground, do some voltage drop, continuity tests. check the basics first, fuses.

good luck shipmate.
The High & Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Rob238449

Rob238449 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have a Multi-Meter check Continuity from chassis to starter NEG Post. for good ground. Check Voltage at POS Post on Starter. I've seen REMAN starters out of the box be faulty because of solenoids. Start with the basics and double check the wiring IAW the FSM.
Rob238449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
See if the car was converted to 5speed. Check the shift lock wires that have to be jumpered by the fuse box on the passenger side. If it's not jumped then nothing's going to happen no spark etc.
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
ashero2
Leaky Injector

thanks everyone for the inputs. ill keep looking into the car more. didn't have time yesterday to do anything. I made a quick update and background so that way it can lessen the possibilities and be more specific
Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
ashero2
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SEric240sx View Post
hey man- if it's a manual check if the rubber nub is still on the clutch pedal- There is an interlock that prevents it from starting if this little piece is missing the switch will not get depressed. This or replace the ignition
can you send me a pic of it? not seeing what youre talking about. ignition was my second idea of replacing. first I might replace my starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
If there is no clicking, and you have verified that it is not a fuse or relay, check the wiring for the plugs near the battery tray, there are people out there that don't know shit, and could have wired the swap wrong. If you don't wire those plugs correctly (or just plugged the plugs in from the sr into the ka plugs), the car will act as you said, with accessory stuff getting power but no turnover or clicking at all.

check the wiring here v most of it is color to color vvv
http://www.frsport.com/SR20DET-Swap-...SR20_t_26.html

Shouldn't get a new starter until you have verified that that was done correctly
Im still going through all the fuses. noticed some of the fuses being the wrong amps and all. the fuse box under the steering wheel are mainly accessories but the ignition runs off 3 10amp fuses and only 2 were in which were a 10 and a 15 which was obviously wrong. also going through the ones in the engine bay and the 30amp fuse was good. checked the 75amp fuse for the alternator and that was good too. tomorrow will be a big day to go through all fuses and relays to make sure so ill keep it posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The High & Mighty View Post
Time to bust out the digital multimeter and check for power and ground, do some voltage drop, continuity tests. check the basics first, fuses.

good luck shipmate.
my friend brought his multimeter over today but as soon as we started testing things something was off on it and then both probes disconnected from the wires sigh......so that will hopefully be tomorrow.

and thanks.....as much as I hate the navy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob238449 View Post
If you have a Multi-Meter check Continuity from chassis to starter NEG Post. for good ground. Check Voltage at POS Post on Starter. I've seen REMAN starters out of the box be faulty because of solenoids. Start with the basics and double check the wiring IAW the FSM.
once we get another multimeter we plan on checking the starter again. also going to get another battery cable to run and relocating the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post
See if the car was converted to 5speed. Check the shift lock wires that have to be jumpered by the fuse box on the passenger side. If it's not jumped then nothing's going to happen no spark etc.
the car was converted. we looked up the trans axle number and all and it was previously an automatic. are you talking about the fuse box in the engine bay on the passenger side? that's the only thing I can find. also if you can send me a pic. greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #13
ashero2
Leaky Injector

got the car to start now. found out the ignition relay might be bad. had the 500 cca battery hooked up and it seemed it might be a little weak also. just wondering what is the normal cca for an sr20?