Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-02-2004, 02:42 AM   #1
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
S14 USDM Kouki -> JDM Kouki Front bumper...foam bumper support?

I don't know what the term of this piece is called. But after removing the S14 USDM bumper of OptionZero's car, we had a foam piece that went along the width of the front bumper. We tried to replace it when we installed the S14 JDM kouki bumper but it was a bit too thick. The bumper would not fit back on properly. So we left it out.

Ended up my friend got into a very low speed accident, and so the bumper was not permanently damaged, but it crushed in, and the impact distored his metal bumper support and hood.

For those who have done this conversion, what did you do about this? I feel it's essential to have this to evenly distribute the impact perpendicular (normal) to the surface of the bumper support and frame.

I'm thinking about shaving it down if I have to.

any help would be appreciated. thanks
TurDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
I was thinking about using one from a Zenki, but I have yet to test fit it.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
I don't see how it'll fit...the foam thingie has cutouts on it for the Kouki...

The USDM and JDM cutouts seem similar, but the main problem is that the foam thing is simply way to thick.

Yo Turdz, if we can get a saw or something to maybe cut 2-3 inches off, it might fit. I do not know if it'll affect the effectiveness of it.

Lemme know when you get yours, i'll get some tools from walmart, including a hammer so we can install your foam and hammer the metal back into place while replacing my upper bumper retainer thingie and finallly fix my friggin front end.
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
chrispy
Zilvia Member

chrispy is on a distinguished road
I tried trimming the USDM energy absorber but could not get it to fit too well, so I just tossed it. Just take some time and keep trimming and test fitting. You'll eventually get it to fit.
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:35 PM   #5
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
i had the same problem. i solved it. i threw it away.

if some guy crashes my shit. hez paying for a fucken new one. simple as that.
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
i hit some one from behind at no more than 15mph (just entering intersection when she slammed on the brakes ahead of me), and it did lots of damage to bumper supports and connecting metal pieces, so i'd say the foam piece is pretty useful.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Alright, I'm just going to use a jigsaw right now. aaahh, what a biatch.

or actually, maybe i'll just use a hand saw. it may not be pretty, but it'll be a lot quicker.

thanks for the replies guys.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
I had the same problem with the 180SX Kouki bumper. I didn't put in the foam thing either. Some places carry the Kouki foam piece if you want to buy it.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #9
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero
i hit some one from behind at no more than 15mph (just entering intersection when she slammed on the brakes ahead of me), and it did lots of damage to bumper supports and connecting metal pieces,
next time pay more attention to the road and dont tailgate. simple.
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:04 PM   #10
OptionZero
Post Whore!

good advice.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
psychedelicbeats
Zilvia Addict

psychedelicbeats is an unknown quantity at this point
just force it on. push that fucker in as much as possible. that's what i did to my rear
psychedelicbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:18 PM   #12
chrispy
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZK
I had the same problem with the 180SX Kouki bumper. I didn't put in the foam thing either. Some places carry the Kouki foam piece if you want to buy it.
What's the place called? I'm considering getting another energy absorber or maybe the jdm one you speak of if it's not too expensive.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #13
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just get out the obital sander and a saw. Rough it with the saw then shave it down with the sander. That foam thing is your bumper below 15mph. The cover is useless in a crash and it's illegal to not have the foam. cop/ins. may not know notice the JDM cover but they will notice the foam is missing. The claims ajuster saw right away that I didn't have a insert and made me buy a new one. Almost didn't cover the crash cause the "safety system" was removed. Once I bought a insert with my own money he covered it.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #14
chrispy
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelicbeats
just force it on. push that fucker in as much as possible. that's what i did to my rear
The absorber is pretty dense. It's not something you can just "force" on.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #15
psychedelicbeats
Zilvia Addict

psychedelicbeats is an unknown quantity at this point
i did it. i would know.
psychedelicbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #16
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

The front bumper foam isn't necessarily thick, but it doesn't fit right into the jdm kouki bumper. I have been test fitting and cutting since the last time i posted. I'm not tired yet, thank goodness. I'm really close to getting it.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #17
SaintlyCharBoy
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (1)
SaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her selfSaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her selfSaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to SaintlyCharBoy Send a message via AIM to SaintlyCharBoy Send a message via Yahoo to SaintlyCharBoy
why not just lay in some 2 part expanding polyurethane foam?

it's pretty much guaranteed to meet whatever contour the bumper takes, and it would be bonded to the bumper cover - ie easy removal later

the down side would be making the backside match the metal support, and if you did get into an accident, it may render the bumper irrepairable (but, you were just in an accident)
Old 07-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #18
OptionZero
Post Whore!

yo Chris, wanna help me do mine once we get back to Davis? what tools did you use?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #19
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Honestly I have not seen the Kouki absorber because I did not buy it when I did my conversion...just thought it would be a waste of money. Anyways...I assumed that the Kouki version is thicker/bigger than the Zenki. I still have my Zenki one...but as I mentioned..I have yet to fit it on my car. The absorber fits just fine behind the JDM bumper.

Here is a quick pic of the absorber...

Then the absorber behind the JDM bumper..

I need my car back before I can test fit it on the car.....damn I want my car to start-up.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:06 PM   #20
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

finished

hey all.

a bit..no actually, really tired right now. I probably test fitted the bumper at least 10 times, and I was finally able to fit the kouki bumper on WITH the foam absorber.

I'm sure that it will still work as it was originally designed. All it does is distribute the impact force more evenly throughout the bumper support. I realize that this cheap piece of foam actually does a lot. I didn't modify the back side at all (the one touching the metal frame) but the front part was thinned out by at least 1 full inch of thickness. It still doesn't fit perfect (I have to press on the bumper a little to get screws to prefectly get into the holes) but overall fitment is 9/10.

On another note about the installation,

OptionZero, remember how you had a gap where the fender and the bumper meet? Well, if you still had your USDM bumper, there are two metal pieces held on by two plastic clips. I realized this after thinking, "how the hell is this gap going to go away?"

And yeah, with the metal brackets, there is zero gap, and it looks soo perfect right now. Remember how there are three screws on the side? one closest to the wheel well, the next which is angled with that plastic clip, and the last right under the clearance lamp (beside the headlight?) those three screws are all connected by the bracket. I also took the threaded clips that go around the holes of the underside of the bumper and put them on the JDM bumper.

I think the JDM kouki bumper is at least an inch lower than the USDM because the only thing that didn't fit at all was the outermost screw that connected with the well well plastic lining. The lining ended up just being a bit too short and couldn't reach all the way down the bumper. Overall though I'm really happy.

now...time to sharpen HID!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #21
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KoukiS14
I was thinking about using one from a Zenki, but I have yet to test fit it.

I think it will work for sure. I dunno about the Zenki, but do you need the kouki support or will the kouki jdm bumper fit right on?

that foam piece looks much thinner than the 97-98 240 ones. Mine was probably over twice as thick.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21 PM   #22
OptionZero
Post Whore!

and i don't think it curves at the end like that...

Chris, we gotta mess around with mine, cuz i need to replace the bumper retainer first.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:21 PM   #23
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurDz
I think it will work for sure. I dunno about the Zenki, but do you need the kouki support or will the kouki jdm bumper fit right on?

that foam piece looks much thinner than the 97-98 240 ones. Mine was probably over twice as thick.
Haven't put it on my car yet...but I plan to use the Kouki reinforcement.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #24
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

the crude labor....

the reward...

Old 09-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #25
Kreukishot
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Kreukishot is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kreukishot
i know this is a very old thread but I'm planning on doing the same thing to my S14 Kouki pretty soon. I was wondering if you guys had any tips/info on anything? I'm guessing that the USDM and JDM bumpers are ALMOST interchangeable? meaning I probably don't need any custom brackets or shaving (other than this foam)? Any information would be great.

Thanks a lot,
Chris
Kreukishot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #26
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
Nintensity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I just wanted to bump this because I'd rather search for an existing thread, rather than to create a new one.

I have replaced my S14 USDM rear bumper with a JDM rear bumper, however, the Styrofoam core support doesn't exactly match up to the JDM. I really don't want to go "foam"less since it's supposed to suppress the damage if i ever get into a car accident... is there a way I can actually fit the styrofoam on my rear bumper?
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Did you even read this thread? If it doesn't fit cut it so it does.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #28
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
Nintensity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
Did you even read this thread? If it doesn't fit cut it so it does.
Yes, I did, but it was pertaining to the front bumper.. But anyways, I'll try and cut the styrofoam. Thanks all!
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
initial_jc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
initial_jc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
bump a million year old thread

but since its already up here something is odd about the lights on this KOUKI
initial_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
The housings have been painted black.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote