Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #91
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Why not cover the bottom of your frame rails in shopping cart wheels, assembly line rollers, tank treads, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #92
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Titanium would be much better, hit it fast enough and you could give a spark show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
Old 09-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #93
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Dear skid plate hobbyists,
Which skid plates clear the Nismo Power Brace? Does the Xcessive skid plate clear it?

Thank you kindly.

I am also interested in this information.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #94
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_s13 View Post
...we don't build F1 race cars here. No need for cutting edge technology to protect my knockoff fiberglass bumper that I can't even spend the time to fit to the car properly. are you getting it yet?
no need for cutting edge technology when you cant even handle basic concepts like attempting to properly install your knockoff fiberglass bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy107 View Post
If anyone feels racepar1 is commenting in a negative manner on this thread and talking down/harassing peoples thoughts and opinions about the topic. Feel free to use the report button on the bottom left corner of the said post next to the offending person's username.
you are such a pussy, you know that?

i cannot believe this thread exists... its an embarrassment to the community.

wood has no place on a modern car, period.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #95
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
What about classy wooden steering wheels? Personally not my cup of tea, but they're in good taste. Checkmate, try again some time.

EDIT: Also I'm nominating this thread of the year.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #96
aga
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
aga is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
i was thinking of installing some bookshelves by the rear passenger seats...for long journeys, you know.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #97
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't know 240s were modern cars....
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #98
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedLife View Post
Sorry guys, that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I guess I'm bad at trolling. I feel like this thread really wandered too quickly. Iwas hoping to learn some things about hydroplaning
Yeah, you're pretty bad at trolling. That idea is actually pretty solid...

Quote:
Dear skid plate hobbyists,
Which skid plates clear the Nismo Power Brace? Does the Xcessive skid plate clear it?

Thank you kindly.
They should ALL clear. I have yet to see a skid plate that dips up in-between the tension rod brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
What about classy wooden steering wheels? Personally not my cup of tea, but they're in good taste. Checkmate, try again some time.

EDIT: Also I'm nominating this thread of the year.
ACTUALLY wood steering wheels are out-of-place in a modern STYLE car. Looks way better in an old-school ride.

No, 240's are NOT "modern" cars in stock form. The truth is that most of us are modifying them with a modern STYLE though. There aren't too many old-school style 240's out there...
Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #99
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

InsTanCeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
I was just thinking about the idea of welding some metal to the bottom of my frame rails today somewhat along these lines. Seems like a solid idea. Granted best plan would be to make your exhaust tuck up above the rails but that is not always possible.
Online Store - Xcessive Manufacturing
Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #100
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
most of us are modifying them with a modern STYLE though.
hit the nail on the head. the car itself is not "modern", but when you are styling and upgrading your car with parts that are "in" right now so to speak, you are making it "modern"

I don't care how much people want to bash this thread, there has actually been some good info to read in here.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #101
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
on a more serious note, if you are actually serious why dont you guys do what corvette owners have been doing for years. They have plates with little wheels on them to roll up driveways etc. They also have ones called "fangs".

fangs

Old 09-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #102
aga
Zilvia Junkie

that is actually....nice!

not the shopping cart wheel, that's ridiculous.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #103
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
They're in good taste? They're fuckin' BULLSHIT is what they are. It goes hand-in-hand with these fuckin bur-berry interiors that all you tight-jean fruitcakes run.. go ahead, checkmate my nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
I didn't know 240s were modern cars....
basically, you can draw a line between the real cars that were carb'ed vs the fuel injected bullshit of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy2die View Post
on a more serious note, if you are actually serious why dont you guys do what corvette owners have been doing for years.
because its fucking STUPID. stealing wheels from your kids skateboard, how retarded is that....

raise your cars UP and quit being douchebags
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #104
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
They're in good taste? They're fuckin' BULLSHIT is what they are. It goes hand-in-hand with these fuckin bur-berry interiors that all you tight-jean fruitcakes run.. go ahead, checkmate my nuts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You're the best Mike! NOBODY flames like you!

Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #105
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Marine birch plywood is just fine for a splitter. A layer of fiberglass over it stiffens it right up, but if you don't care about another 7-10 lbs, you can just go with a thicker piece of plywood to get the stiffness fine.

The stress a splitter is subjected to isn't that high. I've seen some flimsy shit last just fine on some pretty quick race cars.

And an aluminum sheet is a stupid idea for a splitter - it would weigh a metric asston to get enough stiffness in bending for a splitter.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #106
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Marine birch plywood is just fine for a splitter. A layer of fiberglass over it stiffens it right up, but if you don't care about another 7-10 lbs, you can just go with a thicker piece of plywood to get the stiffness fine.

The stress a splitter is subjected to isn't that high. I've seen some flimsy shit last just fine on some pretty quick race cars.

And an aluminum sheet is a stupid idea for a splitter - it would weigh a metric asston to get enough stiffness in bending for a splitter.
Question: What is YOUR splitter constructed from???

Adding a layer of fiberglass for stiffness is a good idea. Using the treated marine birch wood is also good. Both of those would help with dry-rot/moisture absorbtion as well as stiffness.

My biggest issue with plywood is that it's so damned thick and heavy. I prefer a splitter that actually SPLITS the airflow rather than just bludgening it in half. Also the wear would be a concern for me. I would be worried about taking chunks out of it or the layers de-laminating over time.

A thin treated hardwood wrapped with fiberglass actually sounds pretty proper I might just steal that idea when the time comes!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #107
tiggertsi
Zilvia Member

tiggertsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Adding a layer of fiberglass for stiffness is a good idea. Using the treated marine birch wood is also good. Both of those would help with dry-rot/moisture absorbtion as well as stiffness.

My biggest issue with plywood is that it's so damned thick and heavy. I prefer a splitter that actually SPLITS the airflow rather than just bludgening it in half. Also the wear would be a concern for me. I would be worried about taking chunks out of it or the layers de-laminating over time.

A thin treated hardwood wrapped with fiberglass actually sounds pretty proper I might just steal that idea when the time comes!

which is why i posted the links about the splinter supercar. laminated veneer loomed like on that car has a higher strength to weight ratio than steel or aluminum. and it can be molded or shaped much the same way as carbon fiber.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #108
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Marine birch plywood is just fine for...................................
seriously def

you DO realize that this is zilvia

keep your scientific answers to NRR, no one speaks your language here
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #109
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertsi View Post
which is why i posted the links about the splinter supercar. laminated veneer loomed like on that car has a higher strength to weight ratio than steel or aluminum. and it can be molded or shaped much the same way as carbon fiber.
Yeah, great. I bet it costs 10x as much as just using carbon fiber as well. That car was made for oil sheiks with more money than is possible to count. Basically a giant artifical penis for all to behold. Jabroc is also a wood product. I LOVE Jabroc. It is quite a stretch to attempt to compare either of those wood products to regular old 1/2" plywood.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #110
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:

Birch is a hardwood. Most of these posters are thinking of the pine stuff down at Home Despot or bLowes.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #111
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Quote:
They should ALL clear. I have yet to see a skid plate that dips up in-between the tension rod brackets.
The best ones go in between (best relative to ground/obstacle clearance Clarence).

Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #112
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
The best ones go in between (best relative to ground/obstacle clearance Clarence).

Wow kiss your TC brackets and oil pan goodbye with that...

Good ones bolt to the rod brackets then curve later to deflect a bash down away. not right into the pan. That thing is thin as hell too.

I like the PSM SP.

http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?13
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #113
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:

Yeah, but the crossbar on the power brace is actually towards the rear of the brackets slightly. It should clear that. You would have to be stupid to not take a "power brace' or similar into consideration when designing an underpanel like that.

I don't know why they did it like that. There ARE mounting points SPECIFICALLY FOR an underpanel on the tension rod brackets...
Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #114
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Those are only good for aerodynamics. Otherwise, they are more of a hindrance than protection.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #115
aga
Zilvia Junkie

you can make a light and functional front splitter using cheap materials, as long as you know some materials and how to use them...

you can buy foam sheets from composite stores, that can be shaped using simple tools like a saw and some big grit sandpapers, and overlay that with tightly woven fiberglass, 2-3 layers with different directions on the weave, and then paint the whole thing black... the only thing you have to be careful with this, is you gotta make bigger metal mounts ,cause concentrated forces like one scew, might crush the foam between the fiberglass layers. i dont mention kevlar or carbon, though kevlar is the ideal for this place, cause cost is too damn high...

as for jabroc etc, they say it has weight to strength ratio better than steel, but you gotta use like a 1 inch thick plate, while if you made it from steel you would use 2mm...
Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #116
tiggertsi
Zilvia Member

tiggertsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yeah, great. I bet it costs 10x as much as just using carbon fiber as well. That car was made for oil sheiks with more money than is possible to count. Basically a giant artifical penis for all to behold. Jabroc is also a wood product. I LOVE Jabroc. It is quite a stretch to attempt to compare either of those wood products to regular old 1/2" plywood.
cost is cheaper, just have to know how to do it. and i wasn't taking about making a car out of wood, which was made by a college engineering student and a team he had gathered if you would have bothered to read any of those links. but that requires intelligence and comprehension skills above that of a cucumber which seemingly most of you lack. jabroc, oh the irony!

Last edited by tiggertsi; 09-25-2013 at 04:21 AM..
Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #117
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Those are only good for aerodynamics. Otherwise, they are more of a hindrance than protection.
How are they a hinderance? Mine has taken some really solid hits that would have otherwise connected directly with the oil pan/sway bar. PSM does not do shit just for looks the majority of the time.

Maybe it won't stiffen your chassis like they say but it sure as hell is going to be better than pavement directly to oil pan which is what they are designed to prevent. If you hit a speedbump at speed sure this won't do jack shit but become another thing you need to take off or bend back when pulling the car up onto a wrecker but that is the least of your issues then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #118
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:

My old one was Tegris, but the short length of the CoT splitter was not good for aerodynamics.

I agree you need to profile the splitter, but the flow separation isn't that bad with a square front (see CoT splitters).

I plan to do a 1/4" birch plywood and at least 1 layer of FG for my next splitter. It's hard to find weight estimates of the birch plywood though, so I'm still debating an alumalite splitter. But as far as durability goes - alumalite is NOT that durable. If you bend it with an off, it's very difficult to straighten it back out well. It also tends to "kink" or buckle when bent due to all the stiffness coming from the aluminum sheets on the outside.

Quote:
seriously def

you DO realize that this is zilvia

keep your scientific answers to NRR, no one speaks your language here
Don't I know it...

Quote:
Birch is a hardwood. Most of these posters are thinking of the pine stuff down at Home Despot or bLowes.
I know, which is why I specifically mentioned it, and didn't say "pick up the most waterlogged, rotten POS piece of wood you can find."

My local big box stores all sell birch plywood as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #119
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Wow kiss your TC brackets and oil pan goodbye with that...

Good ones bolt to the rod brackets then curve later to deflect a bash down away. not right into the pan. That thing is thin as hell too.

I like the PSM SP.

エンジンパーツ Engine Parts - POWERED BY MAX
Hey... I'm pretty sure that is my car. cool!
Never hydroplaned.

edit: checked the URL. excellent.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #120
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
best relative to ground/obstacle clearance Clarence.
EH?

whats your vector, Victor?

Quote:
My local big box stores all sell birch plywood as well.
Birch plywood is good for cabinets, thats what I used in my garage.

Havent you morons learned anything yet? Steel plate is the ONLY solution here. I can tell you from first-hand experience, that they used steel plate in practically every episode of the A-Team when they had to make their vehicle bullet & explosion proof.

Def, I'm starting to question your engineering qualifications. In fact, I'm certainly glad I did not purchase that big brake kit you and Yates were selling.

Birch for splitters... pssh. Whats next, are people going to remove their SR20DETs in favor for USDM V8s? I think not.

Besides, dont you guys know that pushrods are ancient 1920 technology?
Closed Thread