Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #151
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DrifterProdigy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DrifterProdigy85
I agree that the 3071R .63 will spool faster and make more power than the 2871R .86. I think the .86 housing is just restrictive. Ive always been curious of the GT2871R w/ .63 T3 housing. Might give the same top end power of the .86 with the spool that it lacks.

370cc can max out with only 10psi pending on the setup. When i dynoed my stock block w/ 2871R .86, Greddy IM, and HKS 264 Step 1 Cams, I was doing 315whp @ 14-15psi.

INeedNewTires, i believe you can hit your 400hp goal if you get a new Intake Manifold and some kind of Tubular Manifold. I like my Ichiba Vers II Manifold. Same design as the Tomei but half the price.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #152
xxchurroxx
Zilvia Member

xxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to beholdxxchurroxx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to xxchurroxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxchurroxx

377 HP and 320 ft/lbs of torque at 18 psi

s14 SR
V-mounted IC/rad w/ dual FAL fans
larger s13 throttle body
stock intake and exhaust manifolds
stock bottom end w/ no head work done
GT2871r .64
BC 264 in/exh cams
BC spring and titanium retainers
z32 maf
Apex'i PFC L-Jetro
exedy stage 2
fidanza flywheel
Deatschwerks 600c injectors
CS flat DP/elbow
Apex GT Spec with JDM 3" gutted cat

FYI, exedy Stage 2 clutches slip @ 320 ft-lbs of torque...hence the flatter torque curve.

v-mount ftmfw.
xxchurroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #153
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
^ Nice Torque curve!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #154
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
EVC?

I think the greddy Profec B and the PFC are the best in my experience in controlling the boost spike or drop off.

other than that you can try porting the wg door hole a little bit and like you said pre-loading your adjustable wg.
Yeah HKS evc V. like I said It's not having problems untill I try and set it in the 18-20psi range which was making me think that the internal wastegate was the problem. I may try preloading the wastegate actuator a little more and see what it does.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #155
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
s13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to s13envy Send a message via AIM to s13envy Send a message via MSN to s13envy Send a message via Yahoo to s13envy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Can you give me specifics? I contacted BC and they arent being very receptive. Im going to a machine shop to get them looked over, but a little more info would be helpful.
only thing i know is that they centerline of the cams have been known to be off by a few degrees. basically saying the cams aren't timed correctly. Which can be fixed by adjustable cam gears.
s13envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #156
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeles View Post
Steve, have you seen any issues with the stock internal wastegates not holding 20psi? mine seems to flutter between 20-25 when I try and set the HKS EVC. 15 holds fine. actuator is set at 10. alot of this has me wanting to get the .64 housing and swap out. (i was supposed to be getting a .64 when i bought mine. got an .86 instead)
From first hand experience with two different boost controllers, different sources (boost) and different wastegates, there really is no reliable way to hold under 15 psi and then 20 psi on the highside.

I've preloaded, un preloaded, done everything in the book.

The solution (hopfully) is getting the external gate provision on my stock manifold (thanks to Enthalpy himself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedNewTires View Post
here's my setup
S14 SR
Crower rods
Weisco forged pistons bored .020 over.
HKS cams 264's
rebuilt head
GT2871R .64
stock intake and exhaust manifold
Hybrid IC
Apexi intake
Z32 MAF
740cc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
Apexi 3 in exhaust
Greddy elbow and down pipe
megan test pipe
Tuned with Apexi power FC
So at 1.3 BAR she made 363 whp and 353 tq w/ 93 octane
Get the stock exhaust manifold extrude honed and coated, get a Greddy Intake Manifold, and get a retune

Not sure if the I/C is hurting any or not either...i'm not an intercooler master by any stretch....

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #157
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
From first hand experience with two different boost controllers, different sources (boost) and different wastegates, there really is no reliable way to hold under 15 psi and then 20 psi on the highside.

I've preloaded, un preloaded, done everything in the book.

The solution (hopfully) is getting the external gate provision on my stock manifold (thanks to Enthalpy himself).
hmm thats what I was worried about. not that I mind running 15psi as the base but I figured theres two settings might as well use them. but I'll try bumping the base up to 15 and see if it'll hold. If I go external I'd rather go top mount and get the T3 housing for the turbo.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #158
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeles View Post
hmm thats what I was worried about. not that I mind running 15psi as the base but I figured theres two settings might as well use them. but I'll try bumping the base up to 15 and see if it'll hold. If I go external I'd rather go top mount and get the T3 housing for the turbo.
Certainly an option as well. I've yet to see a t3 housing 2871r .63 dyno yet, so I'm worried that the tubular top mount options will hurt spool as well.

the greatest advantage IMO with that turbo is the stock manifold. It helps keep heat in the manifold, helping spool and torque. Not to mention OE is also divided/twin scroll sort to speak.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #159
Steeles
Post Whore!

true, I've got my stocker in a box somewhere. may see about having a wastegate port added to it and coat it like yours is. ah well. other fish to fry on the current setup to handle first. like getting my timing dialed in lol
Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #160
rotation3x
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
rotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rotation3x
What fitting do you guys use for your circuit sports oil line. I know it needs a restrictor fitting (which came threaded in my turbo) but will not thread onto my new line. The circuit sport line came with a fitting that threads into the turbo and line but dosn't have the restrictor.
rotation3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #161
codyace
Post Whore!

/\ I have no clue. I bought the TAKA kit and restrictor.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #162
Steeles
Post Whore!

+1 they've been on my car longer than the Turbo!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #163
rotation3x
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
rotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rotation3x
Can someone that has a gt2871r .64 tell me the numbers on your wastegate actuator? (there is a little sticker on it) I bought one from jgycustoms and my receipt says for fwd gti-r. I just want to make sure its right.
rotation3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #164
water
Zilvia Junkie

water has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud ofwater has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Codyace....I was just playing on the numbers....again, the best measure is taking it to the drag strip, assuming equal driving skill
Thank you. I'm glad someone else realizes that dyno charts are more or less useless for anything other than tuning and a general idea of power. There's no magic in anyone's setup when the trap speeds they hit at the track are that of the average 360ish whp setups.

Moral: don't get caught up in numbers people.
water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #165
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

s13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to s13envy Send a message via AIM to s13envy Send a message via MSN to s13envy Send a message via Yahoo to s13envy
what hp would you rate a basically full interior s13 trapping 128? lol
Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #166
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Thank you. I'm glad someone else realizes that dyno charts are more or less useless for anything other than tuning and a general idea of power. There's no magic in anyone's setup when the trap speeds they hit at the track are that of the average 360ish whp setups.

Moral: don't get caught up in numbers people.
Very true! I love going to the stip and seeing trap speeds and thinking 'hmmm, a bit generous with that dyno'

At 18 psi, I was trapping 118. My dyno's are all at 20.....full weight s14...so I'd say the dyno numbers I have are spot on (400whp)for the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13envy View Post
what hp would you rate a basically full interior s13 trapping 128? lol
Probabyl in the 440-460 range...

Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #167
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxchurroxx View Post
FYI, exedy Stage 2 clutches slip @ 320 ft-lbs of torque...hence the flatter torque curve.
uh oh.

I was hoping it would last at least a month or so.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #168
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Very true! I love going to the stip and seeing trap speeds and thinking 'hmmm, a bit generous with that dyno'

At 18 psi, I was trapping 118. My dyno's are all at 20.....full weight s14...so I'd say the dyno numbers I have are spot on (400whp)for the setup.

Moral : Don't get caught up in most DYNOJET numbers people

Please Believe it.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #169
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Moral : Don't get caught up in most DYNOJET numbers people

Please Believe it.
Hehe. I wouldn't care if the car made 350 whp, as long as it's faster than z06's and 997's on track is all I'm worried about

Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #170
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
i have
BC 264 cams
Gt2871r .64
Greddy intake manifold
740cc injectors
enthalpy tuned ecu
z32 MAF

hoping for 400 hp around 19-20psi.

just got to get her to fire up first.
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #171
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

My S13 full weight, did 117.5mph in 1/4 mile and dynoed 353whp. 1/8 mile was 90mph i believe. New setup does 93mph in 1/8 mile. still waiting for weather to let me go to the track for 1/4 times/speeds.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #172
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxchurroxx View Post

377 HP and 320 ft/lbs of torque at 18 psi

s14 SR
V-mounted IC/rad w/ dual FAL fans
larger s13 throttle body
stock intake and exhaust manifolds
stock bottom end w/ no head work done
GT2871r .64
BC 264 in/exh cams
BC spring and titanium retainers
z32 maf
Apex'i PFC L-Jetro
exedy stage 2
fidanza flywheel
Deatschwerks 600c injectors
CS flat DP/elbow
Apex GT Spec with JDM 3" gutted cat

I am hoping to hit 400 at about 20 pounds, similar setup, just haltech/map sensored and 850cc injectors. Hopefully this should be tuned by the end of the month.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #173
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterProdigy85 View Post
My S13 full weight, did 117.5mph in 1/4 mile and dynoed 353whp. 1/8 mile was 90mph i believe. New setup does 93mph in 1/8 mile. still waiting for weather to let me go to the track for 1/4 times/speeds.
What track do you goto again?

I need to get some place new...Island sucks. Talk about spinning all over....

Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #174
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

Cecil County. I was gonna go this friday but it looks like rains moving in. Its like $15 to race on friday nights. Real relaxed tech inspection too. ive got an illegal mounted battery and they never check for it.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #175
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Hmmm...only time I dyno'd my car with that setup, i had a slipping clutch and only 1 nut holding the turbo to the mani and it dyno'd 378whp. This was on a 2871R .86.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #176
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
How come no one goes to Maple grove. Isn't that closer to you than Island Cody?

I miss Alabama. Midnight madness, $10 every Sat night starting at 12. I could get 10 runs in by 3. Usually left before they closed.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #177
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterProdigy85 View Post
Cecil County. I was gonna go this friday but it looks like rains moving in. Its like $15 to race on friday nights. Real relaxed tech inspection too. ive got an illegal mounted battery and they never check for it.
Cecil is so far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
How come no one goes to Maple grove. Isn't that closer to you than Island Cody?

I miss Alabama. Midnight madness, $10 every Sat night starting at 12. I could get 10 runs in by 3. Usually left before they closed.
Island is actually closer. On that note, Island actually got repaved this past week! Lets hope it brings decent track prep with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13envy View Post
Hmmm...only time I dyno'd my car with that setup, i had a slipping clutch and only 1 nut holding the turbo to the mani and it dyno'd 378whp. This was on a 2871R .86.

Then you must have spun the shit out of your tires.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #178
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^^ If anyone wants to go to Atco, I will probably be heading there next weekend.

The good thing about Atco, is they don't make you wear a fire-jacket or whatever.

Last time I was at Englishtown, the guy let me by tech, but said that from now on, because it is an FI car that wasn't FI from the factory, I would have to wear a "fire-jacket"

Fuck that, I just go to ATCO now.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #179
Steeles
Post Whore!

dammit. my 2871r bit the dust this weekend. out of nowhere i hear a whining noise. thought I suddenly picked up an alternator whine through the radio... but then i had 0 boost. checked couplers manifolds and everything. finally when it cooled down took the intake off the turbo and reached in. shaft play (side to side no front to back play) whining was the blades on the housing apparently.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #180
((sr)) kelly
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
2871r .86
hks 264 step 2 cams
740cc nismo
power fc
greddy intake mani
fmic
tubular mani

330 whp at 15 psi
290 whp at 12 psi

dyno jet
((sr)) kelly is offline   Reply With Quote