Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
sepulchral
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how do you take off a lug nut lock without its key??

friend just bought a car, the seller did not include the lug nut-lock key

how can he have them removed?
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
kuramaya
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
kuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tap and Dye Set, Drill, new bolt will be needed
Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
180InProgress
Leaky Injector

180InProgress is an unknown quantity at this point
If you know what company makes the wheel lock you can buy a new set of wheel locks from that company and it'll come with a key. Do you have a pic of the wheel lock(s)?
180InProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 180InProgress
If you know what company makes the wheel lock you can buy a new set of wheel locks from that company and it'll come with a key. Do you have a pic of the wheel lock(s)?
May not work for all companies. Some of them make unique wheel locks with a serial number.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
McGuards types? Just take it to a tire shop(BIG O TIRES) to have them removed.

Most other types of "tuner" locks can be removed with a 17mm 6pt socket.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
^^ correct...

my friend busted (snapped) my wheel lock so I am fucked.

I have heard from mechanics that they just hit it hard with a 6pt socket
Old 01-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
if u take it to the tire shops, they usually have the keys for most of the locks......if it is like the ones i bought from H&W motorsports u can take them off using a 1/2 inch extension....square fits into their star pattern....or u can research just buying the key.

never use a gun on a lock nut btw....to tighten it will fuck your stud and your lock nut up
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
air chisel
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #9
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
i used an air chisel to crack the lug nut, then took off all the other lug nuts, and tugged the shit out of the wheel until it came off with the lug nut. I was planning to buy the new wheel stud anyway, so I just replaced it afterwards.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
calebxmartyr

calebxmartyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to calebxmartyr
my wheels came with gorilla lugs and both of the key's busted (thin shitty keys) i called the company and told them and they sent me 2 for free.
calebxmartyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've had Gorilla lugs for a year and I've probably torqued and de-torqued the wheels 50 times with no problems.

If you really want shitty, get Kyokugen.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
HATchTRICK
Zilvia Member

HATchTRICK is an unknown quantity at this point
snap-on, mac, matco or one of them delivery truck tool guys can sell you a a universal tool kit to remove them wheel locks.
HATchTRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by HATchTRICK
snap-on, mac, matco or one of them delivery truck tool guys can sell you a a universal tool kit to remove them wheel locks.
Perfect Advice, and work everytime.

They are made out of hardened steel (like impact sockets) and are no larger than a normal socket. They have a 'rifled' inside that grips/digs into the lugnut when you hammer them over. When you remove, the rifeling is designed to grip even more. The kit has almost any size you will need...

Here is a link to the Matco one: 3rd item down

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=2&#37110

ALSO:

Here is the entire wheel lock removal kit form Matco. It's the first item on the page
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=3&#42894

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #14
breakindrifts
Zilvia FREAK!

breakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nicebreakindrifts is just really nice
Yeah at my pepboys they have wheel lock removers.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
If all else fails, as has been mentioned, take them to a wheel shop and have them removed or otherwise broken off, approach it expecting to replace some studs

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:39 AM   #16
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
If all else fails, as has been mentioned, take them to a wheel shop and have them removed or otherwise broken off, approach it expecting to replace some studs
Just make sure to have a resputable shop do that. psychoblue23 (James) Had the same problem with his miata. And the idiots at the shop tried to torch the nut off. Nuff said that they melted the rim and made a huge mess.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:04 AM   #17
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Usually if you take a deep socket that is smaller diameter, and beat it onto the lug it will work.

About the gorrilla wheel locks. They only break because side load is being applied to the socket. They can only handle twisting force, not side force.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #18
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Use a screw driver and a mallet. Hit the lock at a downward angle. The metal of the lug nut is soft enough that the screw driver will make a seating groove in it.

Just keep hammering until it comes off.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:12 PM   #19
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to nrg
I think everyone is giving wrong information. You don't want to break the lug nuts. If so, you can damge the wheel and have to replace the studs. Just more work. Here's a theives' secret. Just find a socket (w/ 1/2 drive) that is alittle smaller than the lug locks. Now hammer that socket on top of it and get out a 1/2 breaker bar. Works every time.

driftingisgay.com
nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #20
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg
I think everyone is giving wrong information. You don't want to break the lug nuts. If so, you can damge the wheel and have to replace the studs. Just more work. Here's a theives' secret. Just find a socket (w/ 1/2 drive) that is alittle smaller than the lug locks. Now hammer that socket on top of it and get out a 1/2 breaker bar. Works every time.
you beat me to it...

another solution is to you can take it to a shop and have them weld an expendable socket or extension onto the nut.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #21
BlackSilEighty
Zilvia Member

BlackSilEighty has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to BlackSilEighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg
Yeah, but what if the keyed out section is on the inside of the lug nut? Just go to PepBoys or something and have them look it over. They will probably sell that lug nut. I broke 2 keys and that's exactly why I sold those wheels and bought wheels that fit a standard acorn nut.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:16 PM   #22
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Yeah I have always used a Mac Tools set which is just like the Matco set. Takes about the same time as if you had the key for the lug nut. No damaged stud or wheel and now all you do is buy a lug nut.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:55 AM   #23
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg
That's how I get down when I need to remove wheel locks.

Buy a 22 and break them locks YO!

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:54 AM   #24
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
My solution is NOT wrong information. I've removed many a stripped nut/bolt/stud with that method.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:20 AM   #25
andrewmp6
Zilvia Junkie

andrewmp6 can only hope to improve
buy a remover kit or any good tire shop should be able to take them off for you
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #26
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to nrg
um.. you guys are going overboard. i'm sure he just needed a quick solution without damaging the wheels or replacing the stud. Spending hundreds on a socket set is a waste of time.

driftingisgay.com
nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
are those Muteki lugs any good? where can i get the Gorilla lugnuts from?
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #28
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
sounds like a bunch of thieves sharing trade secrets,.. haha

i bought my gorilla lug nut set from pep boys quite a while back, not sure if they carry it anymore...

yeah, and i never track w/ wheel locks either in case something bad happens, don't want to be stuck somewhere far away...
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote