Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Double Transfer? Title help.

This Saturday I'm supposed to be going pick up an s13 coupe. Today the guy mentioned the title isn't in his name yet, but it's signed over and he has a bill of sale. He mentioned something about doing a double transfer. I've looked around on the internet and I haven't found much information on this, except I'll have to pay his and my sales tax. How much of a headache is this? What should I expect?
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Basically he doesn't own the car until his name is on the title. He needs to title the car, and then sell it to you. Otherwise you're in for a nightmare with the DMV. If you've got to pay for the sales tax for him to title it, and you're willing to do it, then go for it, but it needs to be "his" before he can sell it to you.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Balance View Post
Basically he doesn't own the car until his name is on the title. He needs to title the car, and then sell it to you. Otherwise you're in for a nightmare with the DMV. If you've got to pay for the sales tax for him to title it, and you're willing to do it, then go for it, but it needs to be "his" before he can sell it to you.
If he does get it transferred to his name he won't have the title for another 4-6 weeks. Just wondering what the whole "Double transfer" deal is about and if anyone here has ever gone through it.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
ReLiC
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
ReLiC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
This isn't first hand experience, so don't take my word for it.... buuut i've heard it's an easy process. that they charge around $20 for each transfer that is done. I've sold a car with a TRIPLE transfer and the buyer said it wasn't a big deal.

If you do it, make sure everything is signed correctly so you won't have to be looking for the previous owners to have them sign. And just call the DMV and see if they can give you some concrete information.
ReLiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Zenki'89
Zilvia Junkie

Zenki'89 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've bought plenty of cars this way. All you need is the title signed by whoevers name is on the title and you need a bill of sale from the person on the title to the person you are buying it from, then you get a bill of sale from the guy you are buying it from to you. take all that to the DMV and there you go.
Zenki'89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
P-Funk alot
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
P-Funk alot is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to P-Funk alot
if he hasnt filled out the title yet then it just goes straight to you.. if he has then you need a bill of sale from him to you.. ive done this many times its not a problem.. dmv doesnt really care as long as everyting has been signed.. shit the last time i went to the dmv the seller forgot to sign and the teller let me sign it in front of her. there just trying to get people in and out.
P-Funk alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
lude4life13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Funk alot View Post
if he hasnt filled out the title yet then it just goes straight to you.. if he has then you need a bill of sale from him to you.. ive done this many times its not a problem.. dmv doesnt really care as long as everyting has been signed.. shit the last time i went to the dmv the seller forgot to sign and the teller let me sign it in front of her. there just trying to get people in and out.
This is correct. If he didnt fill out his information as the new owner on the back then you will just fill out yours and go on with your day. People who flip cars do this because it helps them avoid paying tax and showing the government that they ever had possession of the car (no income tax on profits).
lude4life13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
As stated before, as long as he has a bill of sale with/from the person before him and he gives you one then you're A-O-K. BUT be warned, there's (from what I remember) a $25 fee [for every transfer].

I've almost done a quadruple transfer until the guy at the DMV tossed all of the 'bills of sales' away so I wouldn't have to pay up the ass for each one of them. No worries, enjoy the car. :P

edit: There needs to be a "buy/selling/trading cars & DMV questions/experince/tips/etc." thread of some sort since apparently the site isnt to helpful.
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks guys, I expected to be flamed pretty hard for posting this lol. I wasn't sure if there was a section for something like this, and I couldn't find one.
Anyways, this'll be my fourth s chassis. Lucky me.

Thanks for the help.

edit: He said he'd give me a copy of his drivers license and Military ID if it makes me more comfortable. lol
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
FusionR240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
FusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FusionR240sx
just have him get a new bill of sale from the previous owner and have him put your name on it. unless the guy that has it now wrote his name on the title.
WUT?
FusionR240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm I guess things are different over there. I've had friends around here drive hours to meet up with previous owners of cars because the people they bought it from didn't title it and the DMV in VA won't accept it if the name on the bill of sale is different from the name on the title. In another instance, a friend built a cafe racer from a motorcycle frame he bought out of a shed from somebody's son after their dad (the title holder) had died and wasn't able to sign the title himself, and he ended up having to buy another junk frame and swap vin plates just so he could title it. You guy's seem to have it easy.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote