Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-04-2023, 03:22 AM   #1
Ryan_H
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Ryan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nismo Super Coppermix - Worth it?

Hi all

I have an S14 SR20DET and it'll be around 400hp when it's built. I need to pick a clutch.

It's the usual case, I'd like the clutch to not be super heavy but also work and last. The Coppermix is good for 650hp but boasts that it feels factory.

That sounds like what I want, but it carries a premium.

My question, has anyone used one and would you rate it?

Thanks

Ryan
Ryan_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I would get the clutch masters 725 street twin disc clutch or osgiken twin disc.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:12 AM   #3
Ryan_H
Leaky Injector

Ryan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura about
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you. But I was after feedback on the Coppermix.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'm running a super coppermix single on my RB25 currently. Drivability is great but if you don't want a heavy clutch I'd probably look into other options. Feel is a bit subjective, but I would rate it on the heavier side. Its not heavy to the point of being unbearable in traffic, but it is a good bit heavier than the OE style replacement clutch that I had before.

Last edited by Rustys14; 10-04-2023 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:05 PM   #5
Ryan_H
Leaky Injector

Thanks Rusty. Completely agree, feel is entirely subjective. I'd never expect an OEM feel but having come from a Clutch Masters FX400 Paddle, I'd definitely like something a bit more forgiving.

Appreciate your reply as well, thanks.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:47 PM   #6
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i loved my copper mix, but it came with the motorset...i dont think i would have gotten it if i had been looking as the cost is ridiculous...otherwise i love exedy clutches
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:38 PM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have an ORC twin disc, but I would never recommend a twin disc after putting in one.
Yes pedal "pressure" feels stock. Cool!
But here is why I wouldn't bother.
#1 They are noisey, if you want to turn on the car and every normal person would think, shit is your car fallin apart. Cool, else don't.
#2 Sensitive AF because that is what you pay for. They are SUPER grippy 1st 2nd 3rd gear, you can't just bang away cause its VERY grippy and jolts the car a bit if not rev matching.....
#3 Unless you have a sturdy ass gear box like a CD gearbox, it will eat your tranny alive on drifting or clutching kicking.... its hard on the drive train....

I only got it because I got a really good deal on it, thought it sounded cool until how loud it was like a super loud ducati dry clutch (if you never heard one youtube it). I have a CD box but I am not drifting or daily driving it, just track duty in 4-5 and 6th gear.....

Otherwise truthfully my favorite clutch was a RPS Max Street Disc clutch, but they are disc. Maybe I heard good things about white bunny? but no experience on em
Old 10-04-2023, 11:32 PM   #8
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I have an ORC twin disc, but I would never recommend a twin disc after putting in one.
#1 They are noisey, if you want to turn on the car and every normal person would think, shit is your car fallin apart. Cool, else don't.
#2 Sensitive AF because that is what you pay for. They are SUPER grippy 1st 2nd 3rd gear, you can't just bang away cause its VERY grippy and jolts the car a bit if not rev matching.....
#3 Unless you have a sturdy ass gear box like a CD gearbox, it will eat your tranny alive on drifting or clutching kicking.... its hard on the drive train....

I only got it because I got a really good deal on it, thought it sounded cool until how loud it was like a super loud ducati dry clutch (if you never heard one youtube it). I have a CD box but I am not drifting or daily driving it, just track duty in 4-5 and 6th gear.....

Otherwise truthfully my favorite clutch was a RPS Max Street Disc clutch, but they are disc. Maybe I heard good things about white bunny? but no experience on em
I think I'm old because I'm going to +1 all of this.

Most likely going to a coppermix single in my SR this winter because the OSG twin is cool but now that I'm not tracking the car I want something easier to drive on the street that's not as abrupt.

Are RPS clutches even still around? I had one back in the day on my KA-T that I liked a lot.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:51 AM   #9
Ryan_H
Leaky Injector

Oh gosh, I just realised I should have been clear and I have made a mistake.

I would only be looking at the Coppermix single and I realise I quoted the peak power for the Coppermix twin.

Thanks for your input guys, a twin plate would definitely be overkill for me. And it further highlights my mistake because the Single plate doesn't claim to be factory feeling.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I think I'm old because I'm going to +1 all of this.

Most likely going to a coppermix single in my SR this winter because the OSG twin is cool but now that I'm not tracking the car I want something easier to drive on the street that's not as abrupt.

Are RPS clutches even still around? I had one back in the day on my KA-T that I liked a lot.
I love theirs too. I still have a good RPS Max Street clutch. Maybe has like 10k miles and barely drifted lol..... Its in my stash....
But yeah they are gone, only make vette and mustang stuff now and triple disc carbon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_H View Post
Oh gosh, I just realised I should have been clear and I have made a mistake.

I would only be looking at the Coppermix single and I realise I quoted the peak power for the Coppermix twin.

Thanks for your input guys, a twin plate would definitely be overkill for me. And it further highlights my mistake because the Single plate doesn't claim to be factory feeling.
All good from a single plate holding 400, how much torque you looking at cause that is where it makes all the difference. Whatever you don't, don't get an exedy stage 2 clutch, those don't last for shit.... Had one, barely 15k miles... they make the clutch disc thinner to grab more...

Only thing I can think of is the exedy hyper single... I've never driven one, only heard good things....
Old 10-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #11
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
My SR is making 380whp at full tap but I'm not tracking it any more and I'm guessing the Coppermix single will be fine for a 2nd or 3rd gear street pull once or twice a year.

Also they are pretty reasonable from RHDJapan, even with shipping.

Last edited by e1_griego; 10-05-2023 at 04:29 PM..
Old 10-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #12
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Only thing I can think of is the exedy hyper single... I've never driven one, only heard good things....
I used to run a exedy hyper single when I had an SR and it was probably my favorite that I've had. It had good feel, wasn't noisy/cattery and it held up to a ton of abuse. That said, I've had such horrible luck with other exedy clutches over the years that I just can't bring myself to recommend the brand.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 01:27 AM   #13
Ryan_H
Leaky Injector

Thanks folks. I've no idea what my torque value will be, I'm buying up parts to build. But I can't see it exceeding 400 because I'm not building the car for more than that. Looking for 350-380 from the SR20 with a G25-550 0.64 low mount.

Perhaps I need to buy a bit of tolerance though.

Appreciate the conversation, given me food for thought.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:54 AM   #14
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

I think it depends on the clutch. I have a tilton st246 twin disc (sprung discs) and it is a stock-ish pedal feel, absolutely no chattering or noise even at really low rpm with load or decel. 1000hp clutch. I don't think it is an option for you SR guys unfortunately.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:00 PM   #15
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
I think it depends on the clutch. I have a tilton st246 twin disc (sprung discs) and it is a stock-ish pedal feel, absolutely no chattering or noise even at really low rpm with load or decel. 1000hp clutch. I don't think it is an option for you SR guys unfortunately.
Absolutely, I agree! Its definitely brand dependent. But is that ST246 twin a carbon disc? lol..... cause carbon's don't make that noise. Its the cheaper metal twins that sound like that......
Old 10-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #16
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Absolutely, I agree! Its definitely brand dependent. But is that ST246 twin a carbon disc? lol..... cause carbon's don't make that noise. Its the cheaper metal twins that sound like that......
The discs are full face organic not carbon ceramic
Old 10-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #17
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Actually after searching around here a bit I think I may just do a Clutch Masters FX400 8-puck version. Something real simple that should drive reasonably well on the street.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:01 PM   #18
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Exedy just released their newer version of the hyper single, aimed at making it a more streetable clutch that can deal with partial engagement a lot better. Still comes as a balanced assembly with a lighter flywheel.

https://www.exedy-racing.com/racing/...single_vf.html
Old 12-11-2023, 10:49 AM   #19
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I'm running the single disk Coppermix on my S15 SR w/ 6mt along with the light weight flywheel that comes with the kit. The disk is unsprung, but it actually still feels really nice and is easy to drive daily. I did go with the Nismo slave cylinder on the setup.

My SR is just the normal bolt-ons and a basic NISTUNE tune, so not crazy HP.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 09:33 PM   #20
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a single Nismo supercopper mix on my SR and my transmission output shaft snapped, idk if it was the Nismo clutch or what. just my experience
Old 12-17-2023, 12:49 AM   #21
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Update: I bought the new Uniclutch.

https://www.uniclutch.com/

https://youtu.be/ehnn8IEBLWI?si=NAFlH_e02-pod0-Q

Hopefully installing next week.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:39 PM   #22
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Same here, I'm running a OS giken twin plate, my RB made 548hp 480ish to and clutch feels like stock and no chatter.

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 11:14 AM   #23
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you're planning to daily the car, get a sprung clutch, and under 420hp you only need a single plate. Over that is where other considerations need to be made.

Any twin plate unsprung is going to be noisy, and it's not just the chatter... it's the engagement bark in 1st or reverse from a stop. This is what destroys the trans, especially if being aggressive.
A sprung clutch will eliminate the bark, but again aggressive driving will destroy the trans.

I blew the ring gears in an Evo with an OS Giken STR unsprung. Always build the trans to match the power!!
Old 03-23-2024, 01:17 PM   #24
wezurii
Leaky Injector

wezurii is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
If you're planning to daily the car, get a sprung clutch, and under 420hp you only need a single plate. Over that is where other considerations need to be made.

Any twin plate unsprung is going to be noisy, and it's not just the chatter... it's the engagement bark in 1st or reverse from a stop. This is what destroys the trans, especially if being aggressive.
A sprung clutch will eliminate the bark, but again aggressive driving will destroy the trans.

I blew the ring gears in an Evo with an OS Giken STR unsprung. Always build the trans to match the power!!
Interesting, is it because overbuilding a trans/clutch combo does more bad then good when compared overbuild an engine ?
My clutch/flywheel knowledge very slim so curious as to why
wezurii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:29 PM   #25
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
hands down the most "stock" single plate clutch kit on the market is the ORC Light series.

anything after that, it just will be a tradeoff of torque capacity and bite.

Nismo Super Coppermix is the best because it is the most mild blend of organic and metallic materials. every other kit gets progressively more aggressive with bite and increased performance (heat retention, etc).

any full face clutch kit will be preferred over any puck/puck type clutch kit. and obviously solid disc is going to be harsher than a sprung/spring clutch disc...

that's what you should base your search on.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:01 PM   #26
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezurii View Post
Interesting, is it because overbuilding a trans/clutch combo does more bad then good when compared overbuild an engine ?
My clutch/flywheel knowledge very slim so curious as to why
Just like adding too much boost to a stock bottom engine, it will fail faster.

The SR trans will hold about 400 maybe 500hp but after that... its eating itself.
The increased clamping force is adding shock to the drive line, yes that includes the crank thru the trans and into the driveshaft. Inside the trans it would apply that force to the gear and synchro. You're literally banking on all that power to be transferred through a stock gear.

All that money going into make more power and simply sending the trans internals for hardening or even coating would be beneficial. It's always overlooked.

Also, if you're running an upgraded clutch, especially a twin, the Nismo Slave Cylinder is a must.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:55 AM   #27
wezurii
Leaky Injector

wezurii is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
Just like adding too much boost to a stock bottom engine, it will fail faster.

The SR trans will hold about 400 maybe 500hp but after that... its eating itself.
The increased clamping force is adding shock to the drive line, yes that includes the crank thru the trans and into the driveshaft. Inside the trans it would apply that force to the gear and synchro. You're literally banking on all that power to be transferred through a stock gear.

All that money going into make more power and simply sending the trans internals for hardening or even coating would be beneficial. It's always overlooked.

Also, if you're running an upgraded clutch, especially a twin, the Nismo Slave Cylinder is a must.
Yeah that makes sense, thanks
Pervious owner of my sr thought it was a good idea to use a 6 puck clutch, and I never understood why, and after reading what you did, he probably didn't either haha
wezurii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:04 AM   #28
e1_griego
Post Whore!

I got that new uniclutch in. It feels like an oem clutch from any manual car, except it's supposed to hold like 850ft/lb according to the link to the QR code on the assembly.

No noise, no anything. You'd never know it was anything special.

I got the normal base version (they make a Sport and are coming out with a Race version at some point) because the days of doing anything sporting with my s13 are over. This clutch for sure is overkill but I was intrigued by the technology and I wanted something street friendly so I'd actually be inclined to drive it. The OSG twin that came out is listed in the classifieds here.

Pretty neat.