Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Trying To Learn Japanese.

Hey guys, I'm currently Trying to learn some Japanese. I really admire the culture and I'm just trying to get atleast some of the language down. Maybe even visit over in Tokyo someday. I just bought a cheap Japanese immersion 5 CD set. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried that roseta stone software ?? Before i spend houndreds of dallors on just the first set witch i belive about 200 bucks ? then theres like 3 other lessons, and thats almost like 400 or so dallors. Just wanted to see what you guys think of this. What sucks for me right now is i live about 40 miles away from almost any civilisation and college is alittle bit of a hassle to afford to get back and forth.

Do you guys think its possible to atleast speak fluent Japanse using CD software ?

Thank you all for your time.

Kody Hughes
BoostSlideWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Ha... I d/l'ed rosetta 4 lesson with 21 other languages hahaa.... Don't bother with none of that stuff.... First watch more anime and and japanese drama... Watch those like 3 hours a day especially dramas. Then start watching eps without subtitles and see how much you get out of it....

Then move onto rosetta stone and stuff like that.... I personally am very visual and in rosetta stone and other programs lacks emotion which humans have better retention. Then do rosetta stones for the basics... You gotta get used to the language and culture and immerse yourself... then start learning... Otherwise you lose interest fast....

That is how I started and still haven't really had time to go to class and rosetta stone, but I can pick up about 40% of normal speed conversations when I am in Japan. Side note, I got there like 4 times a year to Tokyo cause GF lives there... Unfortunately... she is there... otherwise it would be crazy.... oh wellz....

Oh watching dramas and stuff will give you a good basis of Japanese slang and pronunciations. Oh and if you didn't know Japanese is kinda spoken in slang which is VERY different from textbooks....

Hope that helps....
Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
you wont be able to speak it fluently unless you speak to people.

I have those cd's too and i still can't say anything. lol I can navigate through yahoo.jp and i can tell when my friend is giving me shit for not being able to understand her. lol
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Thanks, should i look that stuff up on youtube or somthing ? cuz i have BASIC cable HA. so i only get like 60 channels.

(none of witch have anything Japanese)
Old 11-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
D-Addicts :: Index!!! FTMFW!!!

All dramas are subtitled in english and downloaded in DIVX using torrents.... obviously click on the english tabs under torrents lol!!

All free otherwise you can use like youtube or something....
Old 11-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Awesome thanks once again! really appriciate it guys. My mom wanted to just send me there with out being able to speak Japanese at all.. What do you guys think of that idea? Cuz she said thats probly the best way to learn since ill be at the source of it all. I just dont wanna look like an idiot and not be able to understand a word what there saying.

I could actually go there when ever i want if i just talk to one of our family friends cuz he travels alot and give my mom plane tickets around the whole world just to see each other.. He said tokyo is one of his favorite places to go. So im sure if i had my mom talk to him about it he would buy me tickets, send me money to get around and get and sleep. Hes really rich.. But im just alittle nervious with no knowlege of this language.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

Its nerve racking I think.... Its like people look at you kinda weird especially in Tokyo cause they are renowned to be a little snobbish... You gotta know something and being alone and not knowing the language... ergh.... would be a little tough....

If anywhere go to Osaka or where ever to Navy guys are at like Okinawa... Some zilvia members are there so that would awesome...

Well I am there in Dec for Xmas and new years, you can meet me there lol!
Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

HA! thad be awesome. I just wish there was a reletively fast way to learn this language.

My mom was emailing some place in Japan where i could have been an exchanged student and lear at a school or college of some sort.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
slider2828
Post Whore!

Yah if you have boat load of money just go to a language school there... Lol

otherwise, do the JET Program if you are over 18. They pay for your housing and you learn Japanese while you teach english to High School Students or Adult College students.... Only catch, you don't have any choice to WHERE you go teach. So you can be in the boonies like Gunma or something but you will be drifting everywhere lol

You can come meet some of my GF's friends... Some are pretty cute actually and there are hot girls everywhere there who like Americans, too fucking bad they don't speak a word of english lol.... Also fucking gf's friends are rich out of fucking hell and a little snobby sometimes... I don't really like that.... OH wellz... Shigoto, Shigoto...

Anyways, I had a blast when I went there myself hahaha on year... Broke up with another girlfriend and just wanted to fling... Girls just started talking to me in Rappongi... yah yah Rappongi, but still I barely slept for the entire week....
Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post

otherwise, do the JET Program if you are over 18. They pay for your housing and you learn Japanese while you teach english to High School Students or Adult College students.... Only catch, you don't have any choice to WHERE you go teach. So you can be in the boonies like Gunma or something but you will be drifting everywhere lol

You can come meet some of my GF's friends... Some are pretty cute actually and there are hot girls everywhere there who like Americans, too fucking bad they don't speak a word of english lol.... Also fucking gf's friends are rich out of fucking hell and a little snobby sometimes... I don't really like that.... OH wellz... Shigoto, Shigoto...

Anyways, I had a blast when I went there myself hahaha on year... Broke up with another girlfriend and just wanted to fling... Girls just started talking to me in Rappongi... yah yah Rappongi, but still I barely slept for the entire week....
That sounds awesome. I highly doubt our friend will give us THAT much money. but never know.

But how would i be drifting? Would i be using like a car over there ? cuz i dont think i was ship my car over there lol. id rather ship a car from there to here HA!!

Hmm... I just need to think it all over more cuz im still not sure on what i wanna do. Id probly just hae to learn atleast SOME japanese so i can get around you know ?

But meeting you there would be awesome HA. Yeah japanese girls are like the finest out of all races to me lol. I went to HIN night shift in pomona and was in heaven!

MySpace.com - KODY-T.S.W NIGHT SHIFT EVENT 2008 HOSTED BY HIN
Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
norcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to norcal_black240 Send a message via MSN to norcal_black240
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post

You need a college degree to go into the JET program I think. My cousin did it for 2 years before he found his baller ass job in Ginza. If your currently going to a state college Im sure they have a foreign exchange program which is a lot more affordable than paying to go to a private language school.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
slider2828
Post Whore!

Lol... its different over ther TRUST me.... fuck those race queen shit... Its about class... but eh.... whatever they got some brazilians over there too lol....

Well depends how long you will be over there.... Just think it over.... JET program is your best bet...
Old 11-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Yeah agreed. Well thanks guys for taking your time to help me deside what i should do. Ill probly study abit more and then later on give an update on if ive made any progress and if ill be traveling over there. Unfortnatly the closest college is a comunity college.

Once again thanks guys.

One more question even tho this is in the "off topic chat"

What does it mean when your driving down the road and you put it in neutral to cost to a stop sign and you can hear the rear diff winning?? HA idk if it even has gear oil in it cuz i dont have that square tool to actually unscrew it and see if there anything.

Its a 1992 coupe KA24E-T
Old 11-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
Rabbi010
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Rabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What? Japanese girls like Americans? Wow, I'm about to learn Japan and head over there. They are HOT
Rabbi010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi010 View Post
What? Japanese girls like Americans? Wow, I'm about to learn Japan and head over there. They are HOT

INDEED! But there has to be another reason why you wanna go there lol.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
slider2828
Post Whore!

Yah that gets old quick.... I actually go there so much I am pretty sick of the place especially Tokyo. Yes they do, but you have to be just in the right areas... If you are American and can speak pretty good japanese, even if you have accent... I promise you mark my Mother F...ing Words...

You are going to get laid if you have some type of game.... Cause they really respect people who try to learn their language and its exotic for them....
Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
Rabbi010
Zilvia Member

Rabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the roughRabbi010 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
INDEED! But there has to be another reason why you wanna go there lol.
Oh yes there is. Cars, Girls and Culture are my basic reasons. For some reason I've been obsessed with learning about other cultures.

This summer I'm going to backpack across Europe. I'm learning Italian and French right now. I'm using the Rosetta Stone program and I'm taking an Italian 101 class at school so I can get the grammar down.

Rosetta Stone teaches you words like your a baby. They give you pictures and you have to guess what they mean or visa versa (They give you words and you have to guess what pictures they go with.) I think its a great way to learn but you can't JUST learn it this way. You have to know that grammar. This program just teaches you words (or at least with what I've seen so far.) Watch some shows and talk on some forums online that are based on the language you're learning and you'll be good.

{EDIT}
I decided. If traveling through Europe is fun I am going to Japan next December.

him (5:10:54 PM): learn japanese
him (5:10:56 PM): lol
him (5:11:01 PM): sideways pussy
Rabbi010 (5:11:03 PM): great reasons to go...girls and cars. I want a s15!!!
him (5:11:09 PM): thats life
him (5:11:10 PM): and money
Rabbi010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #18
cesar_240
Leaky Injector

cesar_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cesar_240
Wow Cody
its me Cesar
lol
Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
crunchyroll - feed your need!

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #20
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
I think I have the same 5 cd set you do. Rosetta stone is very anoying to setup IMO. Stick with repeating.

Even when you are driving around, say phrases over and over again. We all learn by doing.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar_240 View Post
Wow Cody
its me Cesar
lol

Ohh, whats up man ?? Yeah just trien to get some imput on learning japanese.
I think its probly the best sounding language ive ever herd. so i look forward to learning it.

Ohh cesar.. we might have some practice put in at the very back of the magic mountain parking lot cuz i think there getting sold to some one else so they dont open much any more. We just need squeeze our cars threw the coment poles and chains above them lol. You down ?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
I think I have the same 5 cd set you do. Rosetta stone is very anoying to setup IMO. Stick with repeating.

Even when you are driving around, say phrases over and over again. We all learn by doing.

Yeah somtimes ill just say random things just so i can get the pronounciation down and not have to worry abotu having such an american accent
Old 11-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
slider2828
Post Whore!

I talk to my girlfriend with phrases in Japanese in general lol... But I need to string those words togehter... The hardest part.... Sound so stupid cause in conversational Japanese you drop a LOT of subjects and prepositions and the sentence is modified on the fly in context and tones.... Its not easy to speak fluent.... It is the most insy outsy sort of culture....
Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #24
cesar_240
Leaky Injector

cesar_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cesar_240
Maybe?
lol
Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #25
slider2828
Post Whore!

Exactly! Its crazy....

F.. this Anata wa crap..... its Anata.. or like DOo means wassup, where its actually "do desuka" to it formally..... Sigh....

Boku means I for a kid but in writing... its boku wa/ga.... sigh... its tough...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #26
Teddy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
Teddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
You need this guy.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #27
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13Teddy View Post
You need this guy.

LMAO (the pain never helped) ha man i cant belive i watched that show.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #28
Teddy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
Teddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Don't lie. It's the best show evar.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #29
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Well.. i watch it when ever theres nothing on... and when i mean nothing on that happens alot cuz i really do only have like 60 channels HA.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #30
ROUGE180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
ROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ROUGE180 Send a message via Yahoo to ROUGE180
I have wanted to learn Japanese too but the key to retaining what you have learned is to speak to people to get down basic conversation and flow. If you're not using it you just forget it. I had the CD's and a couple books but didn't get really far. I do want to go to Japan maybe next year so I need to dust off those cd's lol. There is a Japanese strip mall near where I live. I go there to get the baller Option magazines. I was thinking I would ask the shop owner if I could come in every now and then and practice what I've learned and to actually hear it from a native speaker. Maybe you have a Japanese spot around where you live? If you're going to buy the Rosetta Stone stuff just make sure you're dedicated enough to follow through. That would suck ass to pay $500 plus for the set and then don't do anything with it. That's car part money!!! lol I also thought of going to Berlitz Language school. I figured that being in a class verus being at home would motivate even more.
ROUGE180 is offline   Reply With Quote