Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
headup240 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to headup240
From Rice to Nice: Stu's S13 Coupe Build

This is more of a "stages of my car" thread due to lack of pictures of the things that I have actually done to my car but I plan on updating with more detailed information as I go from here on.

I bought the car 5 years ago and it has bounced around a little bit. I have still done a majority of the work on the car. I was just getting into the car game then and I was 18 years old so excuse the rice.

I traded my base model FC RX7 for the 240. I don't have any pictures of when I first got it... but it was like four different colors. I rattle canned it with chalkboard paint and sprayed the wheels with duplicolor bronze wheel paint. I also cut the springs (I know) and chopped the muffler and put a straight pipe in. The car is a 1992 Coupe SE with no sunroof and power everything. Also had the HUD as an option.

Mod List
Engine
1998 S14a SR20DET
Wiring Specialties Harness
Factory T28 BB Turbo
DIF Stainless Steel Braided Turbo Lines
Spectre Intake Cone Filter
Recirculated HKS SSQV 3 BOV
Custom Intercooler Piping
CX Racing Front Mount Intercooler
Aluminum SR20 Radiator
Silicone Radiator Hoses
Dual Electric Fans
Carisma S14 SR20DET Conversion Heater Lines
NGK BKR6E Spark Plugs
3" Downpipe
3" Testpipe
3" Apexi WSII
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

Drivetrain
Stock Transmission
Stock Clutch & Flywheel
B&M Shifter
J30 VLSD

Suspension & Brakes
J30 Front Brake Upgrade
Ichiba 5 Lug Conversion
Isis Rear Upper Control Arms
Isis Toe Arms
Isis Traction Rods
ESM 002-R 17x10 +15
Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17
K-Sport Kontrol Pro Coilovers
Auto Zone Lug Nuts

Electronics
Sony Head Unit
MA Audio 6" Rear Speakers
Polk Audio 6" Front Speakers
6" Door Speaker Conversion Plates
Trunk Battery Relocation
SAFCII Black Edition
Innovate MTX-L Wideband Gauge
Autometer Boost Gauge
Nissan Consult Compatability

Interior
S14 Seats
Tomei Duracon Shift Knob
Custom Leather Stitched Shift Boot
Center Vent Gauge Pod

Chassis
Silvia Front End Conversion
Dmax 25mm Wide Front Fenders
Brick Headlights
Silvia K's Aero Replica Bumper
Custom Maxima Gunmetal Metallic With Added Pearl Paintjob

Interior when I got it:

Did a couple of drift events...sucked.

Got some Sportmax 002 16x8 +0 and had to roll/pull my fenders. Also picked up a 3" catback from my friend for $100.

I then painted it white with some shitty Auto Zone paint and painted the wheels green. (Moar rice I know)

Tried out some Tenzo wheels but I don't like the way 18's look on a stock body S13.

Got some shitty wheels and can't remember why.

Tried to de-rice it a little bit and bought some Tein Basic coilovers and some powdercoated Advan Oni wheels. (Similar specs to the Sportmaxes)

Another drift event:

Put a Silvia front on with bricks and Dmax 25mm fenders. Also tried to strip and polish the Advans and failed miserably. (Powdercoat is some hard shit to get off.)

Did a couple moar drift events:

I then primed the whole car to get it one color and picked up some uber rare SSR Dish type wheels 17x8 +4 and 17x9 +4

At this point I picked up some Stance GR+ coilovers which made a night and day difference. Also added Z32 brakes all around.

I also prepped the car for paint. Decided to go with Honda Galapagos Green. Thought it looked pretty cool but we let it dry outside and the condensation overnight ruined the paint. I tried to cut and buff it the best I could.

Did another drift event:

Me and my buddy picked up an S13 hatch with a CA18DET, BBS RS, Springs and a few other things for $700. The dude said it didn't run and cant figure out why. When we got their we noticed that the fuel pump fuse was blown. We replaced it and it fired right up. Needless to say... he wasn't very happy.

So we swapped the motors in both cars. We put the CA in mine and the KA in the blue hatch in one day. Sold the blue hatch and tried to clean up the swap in my car.

By the way we checked the compression and it was perfect. 180 across the board. I beat on this setup for a little while.

The interior was beat to hell at this point. I did acquire some S14 seats at this point though.

Last edited by headup240; 05-26-2013 at 07:04 PM..
headup240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
headup240
Zilvia Addict

My girl bought me a B&M shifter and a Nardi wheel. That was cool. Ended up selling the wheel and really wish I didn't. Got some used tires in the hood because I'm a cheap ass. I also traded my Stance coils for some Powered by Max coils with 10/12k spring rates. I hated them.

At this point I sold my car and bought a 2002 WRX. I added coils, wheels, and exhaust. Then sold it.

Couple years later I was cruising through Zilvia and spotted my old car. Luckily my wife let me take out the cash and go scoop it.

The owner painted it... The right way. Maxima Grey Metallic with lots of pearl. That's about all he did other than adding some better intercooler piping and a Buddy Club Spec II exhaust. He also added some Honda Accord side skirts which I thought was pretty cool. Here's a picture from the sale thread.

At this point I had to fix a lot of stuff on it. Here's just a few things I did:
Add power steering
Replace ignition cylinder
Fix Horn
Raise the car (It was too low to drive out of my driveway)
Ok shit honestly I can't remember... but the next couple of months I was mainly doing repairs.

Bay looked like this.

Painted the brakes and Valve Covers:

Popped a bead...

Did a KIA turbo swap:

Replaced the LCA's and tie rods:

I couldn't stand the fact that the wheel faces where color matched to the car... so I refinished and polished the wheels.

End result:

Did one moar drift event with the CA and blew the turbo. Also picked up a Silvia Aero Replica bumper.

Decided to sell the CA and pick up an SR and found this on craigslist. It looked horrible when I went to pick it up. Not like the picture lol.

Pulled the CA

Cleaned the shit out of the SR with simple green and polished the VC.

Almost ready to drop in.

Decided to do wrinkle black on the VC.

Got a good deal on an Autopower 6 point bolt in cage.

Added Nissan consult which was a huge help

Painted my bumper to match the car

My car was finally starting to come together... so I did a burnout.

The car at this point looked like this.

I wanted a square wheel setup so I picked up these 17x10 +15 all around ESM 002Rs. Then I put some sticky dunlop direzzas on them. (245/40/17 all around)

This is the car as it currently sits.

Like I said, from this point on I will start to update in more detail each little thing I do to the car. I just wanted to provide a brief summary of how the car got to the point that it currently sits. Hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited by headup240; 05-25-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
05subysti
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
05subysti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
car looks awesome, looks better grey i hope you kept those ssrs to re lip them!
05subysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05subysti View Post
car looks awesome, looks better grey i hope you kept those ssrs to re lip them!
Nah they are gone. They were welded anyway. Plus they were super heavy!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Duf
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Duf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Never really looked like rice. Kept it pretty clean and basic given you were 18 and most likely on a limited budget. The updated pics with the Sil front looks good. GL with the car
Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Snatch'D Factory
Leaky Injector

Snatch'D Factory is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice clean car!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
WristWork
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
WristWork is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Very random build lol, kia Turbo Swap?
Car looks amazing!
WristWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's hilarious. I wonder what other plastic covers look good in an S13 bay.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I almost clicked the back button when I saw the SRT-4. But I kept reading and now I see that you have reunited with your S13. Good work!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
qwikspool
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
qwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to qwikspool
you gone through a lot with this car. good thing that you bought it back.
looking good
qwikspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duf View Post
Never really looked like rice. Kept it pretty clean and basic given you were 18 and most likely on a limited budget. The updated pics with the Sil front looks good. GL with the car
Thanks. I tried not to go too crazy with it. Never been a big fan of stickers or anything. I like simplicity, and yes, I was on a very limited budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch'D Factory View Post
Very nice clean car!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eardize View Post
Very random build lol, kia Turbo Swap?
Car looks amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
That's hilarious. I wonder what other plastic covers look good in an S13 bay.
Replaced a coilpack for my grandma in her Kia Sedona and forgot to put the cover back on. Me and my buddy were drinking in the garage one night and put it on to snap a pic and put on Facebook. You would be surprised to see how many people actually thought I put a Kia motor in my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
I almost clicked the back button when I saw the SRT-4. But I kept reading and now I see that you have reunited with your S13. Good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikspool View Post
you gone through a lot with this car. good thing that you bought it back.
looking good
Thanks. This car has a lot of sentimental value. Me and my wife went on our first date in this car!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
dang! nice build. a kia swap?? thats new but props on creativity. if you dont mind me asking.. where did you get your front bumper? and how much was it? id buy the heck out of it! lol
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Just wanted to do a little update with a few small things I've recently done to the car. Just pulled it into the garage to do a few things.

Lately I've been really picky about certain things. I polished the valve cover before I dropped the motor in... but the thing with polished parts is... its never perfect... never uniform. I've always like the "wrinkled" valve cover look so I decided to make an attempt to do mine using the VHT high temp wrinkle black. I sanded the cover down with 320 to make sure the paint adhered to the surface. I sprayed 4 thick coats. Looked shiny when I left it... then my wife went into labor that night so I wouldn't be seeing how it turned out until about a week later lol. (by the way we had a healthy little girl and her name is Nora). Turned out pretty good IMO. I don't have a picture after I sanded the letters.

I got a really good deal on this roll cage and I ended up completely stripping it and painting it with auto grade paint and spray gun. Decided to sell it because I got an itch for OEM interior and air conditioning so it had to go.

After selling it I used the money to buy some Isis blast pipes and get some new tires for my ESM's. Keep in mind i'm a broke college student!

Don't get me wrong. They look REALLY cool on s-chassis but they were unbelievably loud... especially now that I had this epiphany and decided I want a nice DDable full interior air conditioned 240. So they had to go. Ended up trading them for a full 3 inch Apexi WS2.

It fit my car kinda weird for some reason so I went to the muffler shop and had it cut and rewelded to fit better. When I got home I took it off and sprayed the canister and piping with ceramic header coating. Looks much better IMO.

I decided to look a few things over while I had it in the garage. Noticed a clicking sound coming from my engine bay. Turns out it was the VTC solenoid. It was filled with oil. Looking for a new one.

Also found this big ass hole in my intake tube. Explains why I am seeing lean conditions in WOT.

My shift boot was really worn so I got my wife to stitch me up a new one.

Got rid of my Blitz SS BOV because it was leaking like crazy and causing my car to bog coming down from revs. I picked up this HKS SSQV and polished it of course! Plan on recirculating it I hope it runs smoother afterwards.

I kinda need an overflow reservoir...

I picked up this PBM shift knob but I didn't really like it so I bought a Tomei Duracon knob.

Did a compression check to clear my conscience.

Picture in closing

Thanks for tuning in! Constructive criticism is appreciated.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
dang! nice build. a kia swap?? thats new but props on creativity. if you dont mind me asking.. where did you get your front bumper? and how much was it? id buy the heck out of it! lol
Lol I just threw the plastic cover on to snap a pic. I found my front bumper on craigslist. I believe they are discontinued. If they weren't I'm sure they would be much more popular.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
Quote:
Originally Posted by headup240 View Post
Thanks. I tried not to go too crazy with it.
Thanks. This car has a lot of sentimental value. Me and my wife went on our first date in this car!
Same reason I can't ever get rid of my coupe haha, too much sentimental value and I took my soon to be wife out on our first date in it

Love your build. looks classy clean and something that everyday enjoyable.
keep up the good work dude!!
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #16
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
Very super cool that you were able to buy back the car...keep up the progress
Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #17
Snatch'D Factory
Leaky Injector

Snatch'D Factory is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on the kid, keep us updated when you can.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
taran!
Leaky Injector

taran! is an unknown quantity at this point
Very cool that you were able to buy back your car, looks even better now!
Got a question, how did you like the wrx? What do you enjoy driving more? I ask because I'm looking to get one, but can't find the heart to part with my 240. haha
taran! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
How's the fitment with those Honda accord sideskirts? Would you recommend them? Any idea what generation they're from? If you could take some pictures of where they're mounted that would be great too! haha please and thanks.

Also really cool how you found and bought your car back!
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
FORZA MILAN0
Leaky Injector

FORZA MILAN0 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey I remember this car. iirc, it was was on v2lab or one of the many other FB pages, and I thought those were amg mono blocks on the car.

Very nice car though, IMO I like the monoblocks more. The ESM's look equally nice.
FORZA MILAN0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I am loving this. Subbed.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
How's the fitment with those Honda accord sideskirts? Would you recommend them? Any idea what generation they're from? If you could take some pictures of where they're mounted that would be great too! haha please and thanks.

Interested on how it looks also

And bambi those are 5th gen accord skirts 94-97
I know because I had one
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
Same reason I can't ever get rid of my coupe haha, too much sentimental value and I took my soon to be wife out on our first date in it

Love your build. looks classy clean and something that everyday enjoyable.
keep up the good work dude!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakville View Post
Very super cool that you were able to buy back the car...keep up the progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch'D Factory View Post
Congrats on the kid, keep us updated when you can.
Thanks fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taran! View Post
Very cool that you were able to buy back your car, looks even better now!
Got a question, how did you like the wrx? What do you enjoy driving more? I ask because I'm looking to get one, but can't find the heart to part with my 240. haha
I loved the WRX. I kinda miss it. It's really just a good all around car. My next car will be an STI. I can't really tell you which one I enjoy driving more they are just completely different cars. The WRX was definitely more comfy. (keeping the 240 though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post

I love the Honda Accord skirts. They really don't add much as far as length but they completely cover up the notorious nasty pinch welds that are always janky on 240s. I would recommend them if you don't want something too aggressive. They are 5th gen skirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZA MILAN0 View Post
hey I remember this car. iirc, it was was on v2lab or one of the many other FB pages, and I thought those were amg mono blocks on the car.

Very nice car though, IMO I like the monoblocks more. The ESM's look equally nice.
Yea everyone thought they were amg wheels. Very similar... but not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchondro View Post
Interested on how it looks also

And bambi those are 5th gen accord skirts 94-97
I know because I had one
Give me a few minutes and I'll update some detailed pictures for you guys.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
headup240
Zilvia Addict

I went to the junkyard yesterday and picked up some parts that I needed. I was mainly looking for an OEM fan shroud and I found one in a 240 but I don't think its for an s13. It fit at all the mounting points but it didn't clear the upper radiator hose so I just cut out a hole to clear. Oh well. I also picked up complete trunk interior. It wasn't in the best condition but it will work. Also picked up a drivers side A pillar and Trunk/Gas lid latch and cable because mine broke.

I ditched my old janky intercooler piping and picked the CX Racing kit up. I ordered it in powdercoated black. I think it will go nice with the look I'm going for in the bay. Subtle.

Now. In response to the side skirts. Here's some better pictures of the fitment. All you have to do is chop a couple inches off the front and trim a piece inside the door jamb. Onto the pics...

Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Did this to my eye when I was polishing my wheels. I was on bed rest for 2 weeks. Always use eye protection kids!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
^ I would have walked the streets looking at people then asking if they had a problem lol.

your fan shroud is prolly for a KA as the upper hose is on the other side.
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
^ I would have walked the streets looking at people then asking if they had a problem lol.

your fan shroud is prolly for a KA as the upper hose is on the other side.
Yea that's what I figured. Dont kbow why I figured it would fit.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
05subysti
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
05subysti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hmm you cant plastic weld another piece to complete the accord skirts? it looks weird with it chopped up and left that way...
05subysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05subysti View Post
hmm you cant plastic weld another piece to complete the accord skirts? it looks weird with it chopped up and left that way...
It doesn't bother me to be honest. Its barely noticeable when standing outside of the car
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #30
Grady

Grady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant future
Love the look of this thing, what coilovers are you running now?
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote