Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Txny300zx

Trader Rating: (0)
Txny300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade Recommendations

Hey everyone I'm new to the forums, just got a 92 300zx tt and I was wondering what upgrades should come first performance wise. Don't know much about these cars so it's a learning process. The car needs injectors and I don't want to put back in stock injectors I'd like to swap to bigger ones but don't know what to get, also if I went to bigger injectors would I need to retune the car and I'm aware that the stock ecu can't be tuned so what's a good stand alone ecu to get? Also let me know some other upgrades you would do, thanks (:
Txny300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You need to slow your roll and do a bunch of research. First off, if you know you need a fuel injector (or more than 1?) just replace with oe equivalent parts for now. I'd guess the car could use some basic maintenance before any upgrades should even be considered. Change the fluids, all of them. Oil, coolant, power steering, transmission, differential, brake fluid. Replace the drive belts, ignition components, fuel filter, air filter, thermostat, etc. you get the idea, the basics. Maybe you have already, idk, but sounds like you should leave the car stock for now, make sure it's in tip top shape, and go from there. Get a copy of the original factory service manual, familiarize yourself with the car inside and out, and read, read, and read some more lol

Upgrading fuel injectors right now and then thinking about standalone ecu's doesent sound like the best/most logical approach. Not trying to give you a hard time, it's your car that you can do as you wish with, just some sound advice!

Congrats on the new car! Welcome to the forum!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
you should upgrade your brain first then move up the next level

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 AM   #4
Txny300zx

Txny300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
I know I'm changing all the fluids before anything and getting the car 100% which won't take long because it's just about there. I'm just asking for future reference and wanted to know if it was worth it to swap to bigger injectors now since the car needs new ones or if I should wait. I'm just trying to plan for the future and think performance wise what should be done in what order.
Txny300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

3NDLESS is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm assuming you haven't done anything track-oriented yet / did some heavy-ass analyzing of each aspect of your car. If so, don't do anything; keep up your maintenance until those track days or times where you're actually going to feel for your car and decide what you need from there. + Don't associate performance with HP which I think you're doing. Look at the suspension and improve or do so on other things.

Nonetheless, enjoy your car and the community around it.
3NDLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
bongnak
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
bongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of lightbongnak is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just some friendly advise from my experiences. Every time I buy a new car I go through what I deem more important than anything else done to the car and that is going through the cooling and oil system.

No matter what motor or what the previous owner says he or she has done already i will always change out the water pump and themostat and fan. Then check to see how the oil pressure is when the engine is hot and cold at the first start of the morning.

I've seen so many cars break down because of oil or cooling issues.

So take care of those two systems first and then ask yourself what direction you want to take your car in. Only then will you know what to research and then what parts you need to reach that goal. Good luck and cool car, hard to work on but cool car.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Contact Ztuner in Florida. He'll recommend a good list of maintenance items. Then you can move forward with upgrades, which he can also direct you. He's been building, racing and tuning Z's for the better part of 15+ years.

http://www.ztuner.com
Old 09-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
hatch4life
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
hatch4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
strap a bigass turbo on it and crank up the fpr stand alones are a waste of money
hatch4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews