Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #20701
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
bmar19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailySX View Post
I have a bit of an odd/silly question: Does it matter what type of bolt I use to replace the old rusted/rounded ones? As in, can I just drop by a local Homedepot and get what I need? Or are the screws and bolts on the 240 "special" in anyway (plating/grade/etc.)?

It shouldn't matter too much, right?
Depends. Anything suspension wise should be graded. If it's like to hold your fender on or bumper get any bolt from home Depot.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
bmar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #20702
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Really depends on what the bolt is holding together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #20703
Nurgleton
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Nurgleton is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Can anyone tell me which rear wing is on both of these S15s?
Nurgleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #20704
BMWhitmire

BMWhitmire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick question because multiple pages on google won't give me a straight answer

I bought a set of type x tail lights and they did not come with bulbs or sockets

Now on my last hatch I already had type x tails when I bought the car so I didn't have to worry about finding out what kind of bulbs or sockets I needed

Wiring is not an issue and that's not what this is about.. I just need to know.. what kind of bulb do I need and mating socket to fit in the light .. and is the socket something I can get from a local parts store or will I need to order it online
BMWhitmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #20705
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhitmire View Post
I bought a set of type x tail lights and they did not come with bulbs or sockets

Now on my last hatch I already had type x tails when I bought the car so I didn't have to worry about finding out what kind of bulbs or sockets I needed

Wiring is not an issue and that's not what this is about.. I just need to know.. what kind of bulb do I need and mating socket to fit in the light .. and is the socket something I can get from a local parts store or will I need to order it online
Gotchu
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=585160
Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #20706
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhd View Post

Except those aren't the sockets...

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:43 PM   #20707
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Except those aren't the sockets...

Oops did not catch that. Well at least the OP now has an option whether or not he wants to wire them himself lol
Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #20708
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhitmire View Post

I believe rhdjapan may have them but they're expensive.

Anyway, you can use RSX tail light sockets and modify them a bit to work. Here's a link explaining that:

http://az240sx.org/forums/topic/4085...ulbsocket-fix/
Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #20709
Zenkouki

Zenkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine brake in question

In the midst of rebuilding a ka and I have been asking myself the question...should the freshly rebuilt motor be ran NA, as if it was stock, for the brake in or can you go ahead and turbo it, run low boost, and just get it tuned? Hoping someone can help me answer this.
Zenkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #20710
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenkouki View Post
In the midst of rebuilding a ka and I have been asking myself the question...should the freshly rebuilt motor be ran NA, as if it was stock, for the brake in or can you go ahead and turbo it, run low boost, and just get it tuned? Hoping someone can help me answer this.
Boost it. Then break in per recommendation with a good break in oil.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #20711
jared420sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jared420sx is on the path to ruinjared420sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Anyone know a app that uses emoticons like the ones on here for iphone?
Tried searching figured id give it a shot on my most favorite forum.
jared420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:04 AM   #20712
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
I use tapatalk.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #20713
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
s14 Alternator pass test but not charging in car

I've done my research and I am aware of the 75amp (i have a base model 95 s14) and the 7.5amp located in the main fuse box are not blown. All connectors are plugged in and the alternator stopped working when I was grabbing parts to fix my daily. So my two questions are:

1. Is there another fuse or relay located anywhere besides the main fuse box?

2. If some of the wires are chewed under the driver-side fender, can this cause a faulty alternator to not charge? If so, I'll double check tomorrow since it'll be sunny the next few days.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #20714
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
I've done my research and I am aware of the 75amp (i have a base model 95 s14) and the 7.5amp located in the main fuse box are not blown. All connectors are plugged in and the alternator stopped working when I was grabbing parts to fix my daily. So my two questions are:

1. Is there another fuse or relay located anywhere besides the main fuse box?

2. If some of the wires are chewed under the driver-side fender, can this cause a faulty alternator to not charge? If so, I'll double check tomorrow since it'll be sunny the next few days.

Thanks in advance.

What causes you to believe the alternator isn't charging? You haven't listed any symptoms.
The alternator field circuit wire is routed from the gauge cluster - through the driver's fender - past the headlights- to the alternator. A broken wire will cause a no-charge. A broken 'charge indicator' bulb in the gauge cluster will also cause a no-charge.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #20715
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
( I rarely drive my 240 nowadays)

I noticed tonight after starting it that my buddy club seat rail does not lock after being brought past a certain point. it just slides back and fourth. My brother was the last to sit in it before me. What could be preventing it from locking? Could the gears/notches that the adjuster grabs onto be stripped?
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #20716
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Rear bash bar .. what do you guys do to mount the exhaust hangers (the ones that are on the canister)
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #20717
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
My question is, you know those generic aluminum coolant overflow tanks for S13? Why do they have a radiator style cap? Isn't it supposed to vent? I'm considering gutting the rad cap that came with mine so it functions like stock, but I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing this. Can anyone explain this to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhd View Post
Also lol@ this

Last edited by Thursday7; 01-26-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #20718
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
What causes you to believe the alternator isn't charging? You haven't listed any symptoms.
The alternator field circuit wire is routed from the gauge cluster - through the driver's fender - past the headlights- to the alternator. A broken wire will cause a no-charge. A broken 'charge indicator' bulb in the gauge cluster will also cause a no-charge.
Thanks man! From the looks of it, it was the wire (white/red stripe) under the fender got messed up. Tucked the harness more with a friend's help and now my alternator is working.

When I first tucked my harness, it was perfect for 17-inch wheels but once I bumped up to 18s, there was only a finger gap. Now, there's a 4-finger clearance between the wheel and harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
My question is, you know those generic aluminum coolant overflow tanks for S13? Why do they have a radiator style cap? Isn't it supposed to vent? I'm considering gutting the rad cap that came with mine so it functions like stock, but I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing this. Can anyone explain this to me?
From what I see on most aftermarket s13 overflow tanks, there's two bleeders on the top and bottom of the overflow tank. If there isn't, whoever made it messed up.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #20719
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are S14 chassis' equipped with different sets of rear calipers, depending on model/year? My buddy was saying there are 2 different sizes, so when ordering rear pads it gets questionable.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #20720
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Are S14 chassis' equipped with different sets of rear calipers, depending on model/year? My buddy was saying there are 2 different sizes, so when ordering rear pads it gets questionable.
There was a difference between ABS and non-ABS on 95-96 models, 97-98 got the ABS sizes for all. Then there's the 4 lug / 5 lug differences.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #20721
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
There was a difference between ABS and non-ABS on 95-96 models, 97-98 got the ABS sizes for all. Then there's the 4 lug / 5 lug differences.
Yikes.

I have a 1995 4-lug (converted to 5 lug) non-ABS

So can I just rock-auto some pads or what?
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #20722
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Yikes.

I have a 1995 4-lug (converted to 5 lug) non-ABS

So can I just rock-auto some pads or what?
Yes. After poking around on rockauto (I'm looking a BBK options at the moment) it actually looks like the pads are the same between abs & non-abs. Just differs by 95-96 and 97-98 models. ABS had larger rotors. So just look for pads for a 95, should be good.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #20723
johndoe5703

johndoe5703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Kouki Bumper clip

I am trying to find out where to get new clips for my 98 240sx.

That small insert between the headlights, it has 4 square plastic clips that break if (like me) you don't know what your doing. Everybody seems to remove it, but I like it. Had to replace low beam bulbs the other day and this was my end result.

Any help is much appreciated, I'll try to post a photo I found online of the part I'm talking about.

I just want to know if anyone know where to get replacement clips for it, zipties are holding strong for now but it looks terrible.

Thanks !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koukifrontbumperusdm.jpg (126.5 KB, 106 views)
johndoe5703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #20724
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe5703 View Post
I am trying to find out where to get new clips for my 98 240sx.

That small insert between the headlights, it has 4 square plastic clips that break if (like me) you don't know what your doing. Everybody seems to remove it, but I like it. Had to replace low beam bulbs the other day and this was my end result.

Any help is much appreciated, I'll try to post a photo I found online of the part I'm talking about.

I just want to know if anyone know where to get replacement clips for it, zipties are holding strong for now but it looks terrible.

Thanks !!!
Grille Assembly Clips: https://www.nissanparts.cc/auto-part...omponents-scat
Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #20725
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Boost it. Then break in per recommendation with a good break in oil.
No, DO NOT boost it, get it all together then take it to get dyno tuned properly
S14kouki805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #20726
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14kouki805 View Post
No, DO NOT boost it, get it all together then take it to get dyno tuned properly
Um, don't you normally break in a rebuilt engine first? Never heard of taking a fresh build then redlining the sh!t out of it on a dyno. Usually use a "safe" start-up tune to break in the engine, then get it tuned.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:34 PM   #20727
zspeedrft
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (54)
zspeedrft is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurgleton View Post

Can anyone tell me which rear wing is on both of these S15s?
Car modify wonder
Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 PM   #20728
Jrod12
Leaky Injector

Jrod12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone else have this problem I tried searching but couldn't find anything being similar to the problem I'm having in my 93 240sx so a while back my AC lights went out except for the green ones that show what is currently on. AC and everything else still works it's just not illuminated these are the only lights that have gone out inside of my car and on very very rare occasions they will flicker back on for a few mins then shut off can anyone please chim in on my situation
Jrod12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 AM   #20729
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Um, don't you normally break in a rebuilt engine first? Never heard of taking a fresh build then redlining the sh!t out of it on a dyno. Usually use a "safe" start-up tune to break in the engine, then get it tuned.
What's safe? You want to get that thing on a dyno that way you can tune it to a "safe" level. Break in oil of course but the only break in is to seat the rings while driving. This is coming from advice given by Church Automotive in Long Beach, CA

Last edited by S14kouki805; 02-07-2017 at 02:24 PM..
S14kouki805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #20730
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
5 dyno pulls = broken in
5 runs down the road through 5th gear = broken in

Do you think an endurance race engine goes through 1000 miles of sub performance running to break in? If you built your engine correctly with the good race quality parts, treat it like what it is, a race engine. If the same engine build can run 24 hours or 25 hours at speed, your built 240 ka or sr will hold the same reliability