Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #1
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Bardabe's Project SR-Z32: SR20VET Chronicles

~~~~~~ EDIT: Photobucket fucked my build thread, like they did for half the internet SO I'm re-hosting all the pictures and will slowly fix them. ~~~~~~

I'm not very active on the forums, I spend most of my time working on customer cars so it's actually not often that I get to turn a wrench or burn metal in my own personal car, specially now since the Z32 shares custody of my finances with my R32.

anyway, bought a VVTi 2JZ From LA JDM, and a bunch of goodies for it. ID1050's, Maverick CD009 Adapter, Maverick Flywheel, BWS300, Timing belt and such. It seemed like a great idea at the time, there wasn't very many JZ32's floating around the web and the JZ is a prooven work horse.

-Juan

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-21-2018 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Photo bucket fucked thread.
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
offthewall is making a name for him/her selfoffthewall is making a name for him/her selfoffthewall is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Z32 and JZ make such a great pair. Looking forward to the rest of this build.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
This is going to be awesome.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
No matter what engine thus will be a sick build
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
AzS13hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I haven't done much in depth research on Z32's, what is the reason for going to an NA subframe? Also for what its worth, I have the Maverick kit on my S13 behind a 1JZ and I love it. The quality is top notch and had to make no adjustments or fabrication of my own (besides shaving the bell housing to compensate). IMO it looks much cleaner than the Collins kit, although you won't ever see it once in the car.
AzS13hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is nice. ive never seen this swap into this bad boy
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
Im down like 4flats! Z32.
Can't wait to see whats done.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
chank
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
chank is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sure are a lot of z32/ 2jz swaps going on. Good luck to you and i'll be looking forward to your progress. heres an old pic of my swap, also vvti, she's a little bit further along now but still lots to do (mock up motor in pic).

chank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Expect some updates over the weekend, I have decided to make a custom tubular cross member to be able to sit the engine as low as possible to avoid any hood notching and retaining maximum oil capacity. don't know how far I'll get since we have a holiday weekend and my access to materials will be limited, BUT i do have this teaser from last night (got bigger turbo)

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-21-2018 at 11:53 PM..
Old 09-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
bardabe
Post Whore!

So I kinda sold the 2JZ...

Review Thread
Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Anthony has a smoked vq37hr that may be salvageable. Just throwin some ideas out there lol
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Jissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LOL WTH

What's the plan now? I can't say I don't love the VQs, but the vq37hr have massive VVEL solenoids on the back of the heads that push the motor far forward and jack with proper subframe placement on S chassis. Not sure about the Z32 subframe & firewall layout though.

VQ Build Insta
Jissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
So I kinda sold the 2JZ...

WTF????

the fk are you going to do now???
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #14
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatemy7 View Post
WTF????

the fk are you going to do now???
Test fitted the 2JZ, wasn't going to be practical for the use of the car. The amount of cutting into the cross member and / or the oil pan would sacrifice lots of structural rigidly, ground clearance & oiling issues. So it's just not a good fit for anything other than a few short highway pulls or shirt drift run.

Currently waiting for a good virgin or close to virgin S14/15 SR20 to pop up.

Review Thread
Old 10-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
bardabe
Post Whore!

So I kinda bought an SR.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-21-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #16
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What did that cost you if you don't mind?
I got my Kouki Sr motorset for 2600 shipped, kinda wondering what front clips cost today
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #17
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I've never really understood the draw of the notchtops unless you're going to keep them very stockish. Any particular reason you got one?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #18
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Utter disappointment
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
What did that cost you if you don't mind?
I got my Kouki Sr motorset for 2600 shipped, kinda wondering what front clips cost today
It was a personal hook up, can't really discuss the details on it but for something like what I got with today's exchange rates expect to pay around $3500 or so. Mine was obviously cheaper because I wholesale and been buying engines and clips from them for 10+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I've never really understood the draw of the notchtops unless you're going to keep them very stockish. Any particular reason you got one?
I don't plan to go apeshit right away, so the added torque of the VTC is really nice. I might do a mild turbo upgrade (EFR 7670) but more than likely once I shake the car down and get some real seat time in a year or two I'll be going VET. With the 13 engines the lack of low end and top end kills me and I would have to go VET from the get go. To me seat time and chassis setup is more important than a wild setup at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Utter disappointment
Sorry man, the amount of cutting and compromising the JZ swap into the Z32 makes people do is not something I'm willing to do. (Loosing 95% of the middle of your cross member or 50% of your oil pan) with the added weight and tq it would not end well for my car (log term)

Review Thread
Old 11-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #20
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
SR Z32s are way cool, super excited to see this
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #21
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
My VVTi 2JZ Z32 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post

Sorry man, the amount of cutting and compromising the JZ swap into the Z32 makes people do is not something I'm willing to do. (Loosing 95% of the middle of your cross member or 50% of your oil pan) with the added weight and tq it would not end well for my car (log term)

So instead your making massive compromises on displacement, strength and power to shoehorn a SR in there...

VG30DETTs are a dime a dozen.

There is also the RB25, which is shorter than a 2J and of course *dramatic pause*

The LS1.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
So instead you're making massive compromises on displacement, strength and power to shoehorn a SR in there...

VG30DETTs are a dime a dozen.

There is also the RB25, which is shorter than a 2J and of course *dramatic pause*

The LS1.
Nah, I just don't want to butcher my car. I've done a couple SRZ32's and actually really like the way it fits and feels. I'm going to have fun with it and be very happy.

P.S. If I ever go LSX I'll do it buying a corvette or a CTS-V

Review Thread
Old 11-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #23
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you want to get rid of that side mount setup I am in need of one.
I just want to start out stock and slowly add modifications to see how it changes.

Plus I would rather buy an inexpensive Smic setup vs the $600 greddy and blitz kits that are out there right now (which are really tempting me )
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #24
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
If you want to get rid of that side mount setup I am in need of one.
I just want to start out stock and slowly add modifications to see how it changes.

Plus I would rather buy an inexpensive Smic setup vs the $600 greddy and blitz kits that are out there right now (which are really tempting me )
yes that is actually for sale, PM me.

Review Thread
Old 12-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #25
bardabe
Post Whore!

Progress & Twin Disks.

So I have progress,

I got to pull the engine out of the clip and sold the transmission. I still need to get rid of the five lug, the RHD stuff, Speed sensor & basically everything else from the clip that i do not need for the swap. while that happens I put the SR on the stand and took it apart. I stripped it of all components this past weekend and took the head off. from initial looks i was a bit skeptic since the engine oil looked dirty. I have never had a bad engine from my supplier so I took the head off and just as expected the cylinder-walls pretty much look perfect. I was able to clean the top of the pistons with a simple spray of parts wash and a rag, only one wipe and the pistons were pretty spotless. since I'm re-sealing the engine and changing out all the gaskets I replaced the factory composite gasket with a 1.5MM Tomei head gasket & brand new Nissan head bolts. I also re-sealed the front timing cover / oil pump, I still need to re-paint the valve cover so i can finish sealing the engine so I can clean the outside of all the old leaks & that weird white calcium build up.

I've been stashing parts for quite sometime now, I should have my bell-housing back from machine shop sometime this week. (Z33 gear box) so I can mate my transmission to the block and begin fabricating motor mounts. just today my ATS Clutch arrived from Japan. (thank you Yasu!) so I'm super stoked for that, i don't think I'll ever have to worry for a slipping clutch. thanks to George over at Maverick Motorsports I won't ever have to worry about breaking a transmission thanks to his SR20 to Z33 adapter as well. I hope to this week finish bleeding the lifters & get the valve train all back together. I still need to make up my mind on what I want to do with the valve cover, ultimately I'd like to send my Valve cover to MCR Factory when i forge the engine & do the top mount turbo but i need to figure out something for now.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 12:00 AM..
Old 12-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #26
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Do you have a hookup for MCR valve covers? I looked into it in the past and was told it would cost about $4-500, and they only like dealing with new valve covers
Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #27
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Glad to see the progress Juan! DM'ing you now about the 5-lug.

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #28
bardabe
Post Whore!

Unfortunately I haven't received my bellhousing back from machining so I can make motor mounts and other fab work so I've had to compromise. This weekend I was able to make the hangers for my exhaust, I also took the apexi gauges and installed them. I re-loomed the apexi harness with milspec loom for a cleaner look through the windshield and ran all the wiring. I also had a chance to mock up the Intercooler mounting and I'm really thinking of making an aluminum bumper beam with tabs for the IC. Not sure how traditional I want to do the mounting on that.

-Juan

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 12:10 AM..
Old 01-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Timeless look of the Z!

Freeing up weight and complexity on the front is the way ahead me thinks!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #30
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
This is hawt
future is offline   Reply With Quote