Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
IsaacMTSU

Trader Rating: (0)
IsaacMTSU is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question SR20DET, gets fuel, spark, but won't start...

I have a Redtop SR20DET in a 95 240SX (S14). I have finally wired everything up and got everything working (I think), but it will not crank up...I have tried everything. Here are the details: It gets gas (drained and fresh 93 octane added today), all 4 plugs fire when pulled out and grounded on the block, fuel pump runs, lines are ran correctly, it is in time according to an online guide that details the FSM method. The cams are correctly positioned (front lobes out and notches lined up with the different chain links) when cyl 1 is at TDC, the CAS was placed correctly with the dimples lined up right and the CAS about centered. I have tried moving it while cranking. It coughs once every 4-5 seconds when cranking and smells really strong like gas. When I take the plugs out, they are soaking wet. I can't figure it out!

[meant to post this in Engine Tech :/ ]

Last edited by IsaacMTSU; 03-03-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: meant to post in engine tech
IsaacMTSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
FFSr20Det

FFSr20Det is an unknown quantity at this point
Im having this exact same problem ive switched ecu's with a friends and does same thing ive switched out mafs and still nothing... no cluw what else to do.
FFSr20Det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
angelz365
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
angelz365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
may sound stupid but is your cluster harness pluged in to your ecu's cluster harness cuz i forgot to plug mine in and it wouldnt start until i did
angelz365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
FFSr20Det

FFSr20Det is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, mines plugged it, it weird as hell, car was running but i dont think i had the maf wires done right and it stalled, redid the maf wires and got them hooked up right and since then it wont start, im getting fuel and spark, ive switched mafs with a friends and and ecus out of his car and still no luck, i checked the CAS and rechecked timing and its all spot on, i have no clue wtf happened and why it wont start now.
FFSr20Det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Checked compression? You need 3 things for it to start, gas, spark and compression.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Jasonx63
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Jasonx63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i had a very similar problem recently with my s13 sr in s14. I have a wiring specialties harness so it might be different but. underneath the dash by the ECU there are two Relays that are there one should be plugged in and one might not be try unplugging the relay and see what happens when i did my car started right up.
Jasonx63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
persain48820

persain48820 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, this must be typical. I, too, have the same issue. Have fuel, spark and compression (160, 155, 155, 160). Check each coil to ensure spark, and I do. Physically pulled the fuel rail with injectors and fuel lines to ensure fuel spraying out, and I do. MAF volts at crank between .5 and .6. CAS volts are something to the extent of 1.0 volts and 1.5 volts, maybe higher. As far as ignition and fuel, I have Spitfire coils and stock 370's. Wiring Specialties harness running to a Nistune ECU. I feel I have exhausted every resource and have been able to come up with nothing. Please, if anyone has any input, please inform me, and anyone else in this board.
persain48820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
thesandman6

thesandman6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just had this same problem for a week, drove me insane. I ended up installing the cas with it rotated about 90° ccw off of the alignment dot and it works. Trying to figure out why it does this though.
thesandman6 is offline   Reply With Quote