Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Toplevel4ever

Trader Rating: (0)
Toplevel4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me Pass Emissions!

Ok guys. So i picked up this 1990 240sx last year that was all in pieces and im now done getting it back together and trying to get it through NJ inspection. I am failing for emissions.

IDLE-FAIL
HC ppm reading 387, standard is 220
CO% reading 3.32, standard is 1.20

HIGH IDLE-FAIL
HC ppm reading 266, standard is 220
CO% reading 0.71, standard is 1.20

It's a 1990 with a 1993 ka24de swap. A few things that im thinking could be the problem. It has aftermarket intake piping, and exhaust header. The EGR valve is not hooked up. The idle is high at about 1000-1100 rpm. Yes it has a cat on it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Toplevel4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How old is the Cat?
How long did you drive the car before the test?
When was the oil and spark plugs changed?
New gas?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Fact: Green Valve Covers wont pass smog.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Toplevel4ever

Haha yes. The valve cover was that color when I bought the car. The cat is new. The plugs are whatever the previous owner put in there so I'll change those. The car was driven maybe 15 minutes before the test. The engine oil is probably close to a year old but with maybe 100 miles on it. And the gas is new.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
silverarrow27
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
silverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Crap, I'd never drive a car with a yr old oil. I'd go back stock exhaust manifold and intake to begin with and hook up your EGR system up.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverarrow27 View Post
Crap, I'd never drive a car with a yr old oil. I'd go back stock exhaust manifold and intake to begin with and hook up your EGR system up.
EGR would affect nox levels.

Also, check for vac leaks.

Sent from my iFad using Crapatalk
Old 11-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Toplevel4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
EGR would affect nox levels.

Also, check for vac leaks.

Sent from my iFad using Crapatalk
So then I shouldn't have to worry about the egr valve? I don't see nox listed on the paper.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toplevel4ever View Post
So then I shouldn't have to worry about the egr valve? I don't see nox listed on the paper.
You are failing HC. You are having a combustion problem. Why I suggested the checks and changes I did.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard methanol alcohol will help you pass.
As he said hook the egr back up. stock mani, intake, etc... cant beat stock for passing emissions
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
jscherf92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jscherf92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Don't rely on tricks and cheats for this, emissions are more than just a legal requirement and in this case they are pointing towards possible engine issues. Do the plugs and oil change, a seafoam treatment wouldn't hurt, a tank of fresh higher octane gas and inspect everything for possible leaks that point towards that high idle.
jscherf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
you don't half a header not liberally but a verbal thing around smog technicians, any verbal continuum about halfing headers can't distribute even shifting through a...
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
Toplevel4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSexy180 View Post
you don't half a header not liberally but a verbal thing around smog technicians, any verbal continuum about halfing headers can't distribute even shifting through a...
I have no idea what you just said
Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #13
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Rofl hook up your factory emissions stuff an make sure you have fresh oil and good fuel run till hot ansea foam will be a good idea...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
High HC is caused by a incomplete burning of fuel. weak ignition (old coil / spark plugs / plug wires), leaking fuel injectors or running rich (dirty MAF / vacuum leak), the catalytic converter removes unburned HC so the cat may be worn too.. remove it and see what the mesh looks like. these can be burned all the way thru over 20 years of use.

the EGR valve wont make an effect on HC. that will cause your NOX to be sky high
Old 11-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
Toplevel4ever

The cat is new. I just changed the plugs and did an oil change and I can tell the difference already. Running smoother. It did not have oem style plugs in it so I corrected that. It doesn't have the pair valve hooked up either. I guess that could be an issue. I'm going to hook up the evap canister, maybe the pair valve, check the timing and adjust the idle if need be. I'm going to take it back to inspection this Saturday.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #16
milto0n
Zilvia Junkie

milto0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Check free stuff first: Usually all those little hoses behind the engine. Total PITA to get to but you'd be surprised how often they crack/ fall off. Check for vacuum leaks. You'd be suprised how often things just aren't tightened enough. Check for exhaust leaks. You said your EGR wasn't hooked up. That difficult to undo hard pipe that runs from the intake mani to the exhaust mani recirculates combusted exhaust back to the intake and is essentially what EGR is. And yes, hook that evap canister back up to save you a little gas money (and potentially your gas tank from exploding if not deleted properly!) I'm surprised your numbers aren't higher quite honestly but I haven't done smog in a while...
milto0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #17
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post
High HC is caused by a incomplete burning of fuel. weak ignition (old coil / spark plugs / plug wires), leaking fuel injectors or running rich (dirty MAF / vacuum leak), the catalytic converter removes unburned HC so the cat may be worn too.. remove it and see what the mesh looks like. these can be burned all the way thru over 20 years of use.

the EGR valve wont make an effect on HC. that will cause your NOX to be sky high
Exactly. Only time the EGR will mess with HC is if it is leaking. As long as it was deleted properly it shouldn't affect the HC. If there is a Vac leak or the exhaust plug is letting air in. It could affect the AFR.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
jza80king
Leaky Injector

jza80king is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post

Agreed with this....I would also suggest changing the PCV Valve. This will/might reduce hydrocarbon numbers. I just recently bought about 15 feet of vacuum lines and carefully went thru and changed all the vacuums on my car and it helped make the car run better also. Some of my vacuum lines were def leaking so it caused issues upon emissions testing. If changing plugs made a big difference, you might consider changing plug wires if they are old also.
jza80king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #19
godsmack
Zilvia Addict

godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm wondering why everyone is saying vacuum leaks when HC's are high?

Of course check those but he's getting too much fuel in there or not enough spark. Vacuum leak will cause a lean condition not a rich one.

What is a pair valve?
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsmack View Post
I'm wondering why everyone is saying vacuum leaks when HC's are high?

Of course check those but he's getting too much fuel in there or not enough spark. Vacuum leak will cause a lean condition not a rich one.
You can get a lean misfire condition where the engine is to lean to fully burn or even ignite also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsmack View Post
What is a pair valve?
AIV