Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Timing help??

Ok so I've done what a lot of people have recommended

warmed up engine (151 degrees)
shut engine off
unplugged TPS
Turned engine back on
Revved 3 times to 3000rpm

With TPS plugged in I'm idling at 850 rpm and timing is at 15BTDC

When ever i unplug the TPS my idle jumps up to 1500-1800RPM

And my timing jumps all the way to 36BTDC

Should my timing be doing this whenever i unplug the TPS???

It also back fires (like burps) with TPS unplugged

When when i plug TPS back in its as if the timing STAYS locked at 15 and at 900RPM.....

I know my mechanical timing is correct too. Cams line up with chain links, CAS lines up with its notch and Crank pulley is at 0 (2nd line from the left on the pulley)

Ive searched a ton and cant find any thing resembling my problem
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
You cannot reference your ignition timing at anything except idle. if the engine RPM increases beyond idle speed, your timing numbers are meaningless, with respect to the CAS position.

Engine RPM should not increase when you unplug the tps. That sounds like a vacuum leak or an improper IACV control. factory ECU? Who wired it?

Bottom line is, find out where the air is coming from. the increase in RPM comes from air, access to air the engine has. Figure out where that air is coming from, fix it, get that idle RPM down and then set the timing.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Yes factory ECU. j4 to be specific

Im using a wiring specialties harness for a 62 ecu i believe, but i repinned the few pins that have to be changed in order to do so.

So the idle can be perfect with the TPS plugged in, but if i unplug it and the idle goes up that means i have a leak??

And why would my ignition timing jump all the way up to 36btdc with the tps unplugged?

I checked for a leak in the intercooler piping/turbo and found nothing.

Also double checked that the intake was tightened down properly
Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Bump. Anybody?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
engine rpm cannot increase without air. You have air entering the engine somewhere if the rpm goes up. simply put.

ignition timing follows the ECU's map. At higher rpms, there is more timing.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Hmm. I just keep having problems lol

Im assuming this is iacv related
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Kingtal0n pretty much gave you a fix for your issue with an explanation.
I suggest turning the idle air screw all the way in, if you still have a high rpm after that you have a leak for sure. Find it fix it. Get the engine in timing\base idle mode, then set the idle and timing. Done or maybe not?

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Hey cotbu, should I screw it in after unplugging the TPS or before?

And then set idle and timing?

Before pulling the engine I had set the base idle using conzult. Had it set to when ever every time I entered base idle mode, idle stayed the same.

When engine was out, i pulled the intake and took the iacv screw out all of the way and sprayed with cleaner. Not know if i put the screw back in how it was
Old 10-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
cbh148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've never had any luck with getting my redtop SR into locked timing mode. I've got a Consult USB cable and most of the free/trial software (ECUtalk, OBD ScanTech Nissan), but I believe the only way to use Consult to put it into locked timing mode is to use the actual premium version of ScanTech and/or that other software that I can't remember the name of right now.

When Martin and George from RS-Enthalpy put my car on the dyno last night, I told them the CAS was just thrown in minutes before (I had just swapped cams) and so the ignition timing wasn't set. They just threw the inductive pickup sensor onto the #1 coilpack harness plug wires, which I thought you were only supposed to use a sparkplug wire between the coilpack and the sparkplug to put the sensor on, but they said not at all, which surprised me. Ya learn something everyday.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
OddyseusDSM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
OddyseusDSM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I found that unplugging the main harness to the tps accomplished this, but not the 2 to the tps itself. Maybe there's a loop in the wrapping that told the ecu we were in test mode, I dunno. But it worked. This was for a KA. Hope it helped.
OddyseusDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi802 View Post
Hey cotbu, should I screw it in after unplugging the TPS or before?

And then set idle and timing?

Before pulling the engine I had set the base idle using conzult. Had it set to when ever every time I entered base idle mode, idle stayed the same.

When engine was out, i pulled the intake and took the iacv screw out all of the way and sprayed with cleaner. Not know if i put the screw back in how it was
I would do it after tps is disconnected, and rev 3x, it'll sputter on the rev up but that's OK. If the idle cant be controlled you probably have a leak. 50% threaded in is a good spot or use consult to set the idle rpm.
Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
cotbu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh148 View Post
I've never had any luck with getting my redtop SR into locked timing mode. I've got a Consult USB cable and most of the free/trial software (ECUtalk, OBD ScanTech Nissan), but I believe the only way to use Consult to put it into locked timing mode is to use the actual premium version of ScanTech and/or that other software that I can't remember the name of right now.

When Martin and George from RS-Enthalpy put my car on the dyno last night, I told them the CAS was just thrown in minutes before (I had just swapped cams) and so the ignition timing wasn't set. They just threw the inductive pickup sensor onto the #1 coilpack harness plug wires, which I thought you were only supposed to use a sparkplug wire between the coilpack and the sparkplug to put the sensor on, but they said not at all, which surprised me. Ya learn something everyday.
Another misconception, the coil packs have a signal wire. That wire is just extended to form a loop, in the coil pack harness. if your signal is wrong at the loop its wrong at the plug too. If your pickup, can fit around the coil pack wires it'll work, I usually isolate the signal wire from the rest.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks Cotbu. ill give that a try and post back
Old 10-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Alright.

Did what you said. I got the engine to operating temp, turned the engine off and unplugged the TPS

Car was idling at 1500 rpm and timing was all the way at 36

Turned the idle screw in until i achieved about 850 rpm, in which the timing got back down to 15.

Shut engine off. Plugged TPS back in.

Started car and it was idling around 850 and timing was still at 15 (this is all according to ECUTALK)

I also tested unplugging the TPS while the car was running and the idle nor timing changed...

Was this a success?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
cotbu
Post Whore!

The only thing that concerns me is, you didn't mention syncing the timing at the crank with the reading in ecutlalk, you just stated (this is all according to ECUTALK) so maybe it is, but i would verify.
Put the engine back in timing mode, shoot the timing light at the crank mark for 15dbtdc and lock the cas back down, verify in ecutalk or any consult program. done unless you have to adjust the idle again, but that should be a piece of cake for you now.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

cbeuglas is an unknown quantity at this point
Use a timing light and ecutalk. Also the idle should be set to 750 with tps unplugged. Once you get the idle correct then set the timing.
cbeuglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

cbeuglas is an unknown quantity at this point
Your idle should read around 800 with tps connected. Also as you change the timing to your desired level you will have to readjust the idle.
cbeuglas is offline   Reply With Quote