Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #7531
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
You can run any stock length control arm then. GKtech, PSM, or whatever. GKtech has the most clearance, but you'll run into your sway bar. Not that you'll have to worry about trailing wheel clearance if you're on stock knuckles.

Stock rear LCA's are fine depending on how hard you drive the car/how much traction and power it has.

With GKtech rear knuckles, you should modify your RLCA front pickup, putting it where the S14's is. I'm going to assume your car is not very low because you have fender liners, and your anti-squat will be through the roof on an S13 that's not slammed.
Anti-squat can be lessened by lengthening the traction arm, coilover clearance from axle boot must be taken into account
Old 12-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #7532
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
You can run any stock length control arm then. GKtech, PSM, or whatever. GKtech has the most clearance, but you'll run into your sway bar. Not that you'll have to worry about trailing wheel clearance if you're on stock knuckles.

Stock rear LCA's are fine depending on how hard you drive the car/how much traction and power it has.

With GKtech rear knuckles, you should modify your RLCA front pickup, putting it where the S14's is. I'm going to assume your car is not very low because you have fender liners, and your anti-squat will be through the roof on an S13 that's not slammed.
Got it car is lowered and on 15's I wouldn't consider it slammed but its low lol. Car makes 350rwhp nothing out of this world, eventually it will go jz. Hence why I bought the knuckles/dual caliper option.

As for modifying the stock rcla, I assume stock s14 rlca do not bolt up to an s13? Now I'm curious if I should just upgrade to an s14 rear subframe due to the knuckles/anti squat benefits.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #7533
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Anti-squat can be lessened by lengthening the traction arm, coilover clearance from axle boot must be taken into account
Do you actually lessen your anti squat % or just lessen your anti % loss over travel though?
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #7534
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRussellPants View Post
Do you actually lessen your anti squat % or just lessen your anti % loss over travel though?
Actual anti-squat, the side view instant center is changed as the knuckle rotates and height from ground changes.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #7535
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Question Maybe MOTARY can shimmy in: I am looking into the GKTech knuckle adapters that provide 40mm of correction which should be more than enough with my current set up. I just have a few questions if anyone has any experience with these.

Do they raise the car when you bolt them up?
Do I need longer (S14 maybe) inner tie rods?
Do I need to move my steering rack forward with these?
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #7536
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Question Maybe MOTARY can shimmy in: I am looking into the GKTech knuckle adapters that provide 40mm of correction which should be more than enough with my current set up. I just have a few questions if anyone has any experience with these.

1. No
2. Probably
3. Only if you're running extreme amounts of camber and or caster
Old 01-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #7537
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
No. Wheel, hub, knuckle, coilover, and chassis all effectively remain the same relative to each other.

Yes, longer tie rods will likely be needed. Exact length will depend on which FLCA you're using.

Eh, not exactly needed per se. But you will be more likely to overcenter at a lower steering angle with the standard rack location. If possible, it's not a bad idea to relocate the rack while you're at it.

Edit, Greg beat me to it. When in doubt, trust his words over mine, lol
Old 01-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #7538
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
1. No
2. Probably
3. Only if you're running extreme amounts of camber and or caster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post

Edit, Greg beat me to it. When in doubt, trust his words over mine, lol
Thank you fellas!

So would the gktech offset rack spacers that move the rack forward be the product I need to buy If I do the knuckle adapter mod ? Same thing as moving the rack forward? Any downside to these? Stress the rack too much maybe? Also any rack boot options out there for these?

Last edited by da_crew10; 01-06-2018 at 04:55 PM..
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #7539
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Thank you fellas!

Ideally you want the crossmember modification to move the rack as far forward as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #7540
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Actual anti-squat, the side view instant center is changed as the knuckle rotates and height from ground changes.
Yeah I guess that knuckle rotation would raise the outboard pivot.

Seems like the last thing the last thing the S chassis would need would be a shorter more dynamic anti squat instant center.

If you actually want less anti squat then lowering the front LCA pivot or raising the rear LCA pivot would be what you were looking for. Most of the benefit of lengthening the traction link would come from a slightly more consistent anti %
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #7541
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Ideally you want the crossmember modification to move the rack as far forward as you can.
+1. I used the solid PBM relocation bushings, but didn't care for them.

First off, they don't move the rack very far forward. Second, you're clamping smooth metal against smooth metal without crazy tight lateral tolerances, so the rack will actually slide back and forth when hitting lock hard. After hitting lock on a left corner, suddenly your steering wheel centers itself to the right. Then after a right corner, you're centered to the left.

I had the x-member modified to relocate the rack and I switched back to rubber bushings, and the movement went away. In hindsight, I should have just done that from the beginning.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #7542
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubayati View Post
Can someone please help me find out where I can get a "double adjuster"like the one below? I've been searching for a bit and it seems strange that these aren't so easy to find considering so many suspension components use them for adjusting. I want to upgrade a set of RUCAs I have to better rod ends but they are using a thread type which is hard to find. Ideally I need the double adjuster to have an internal thread of m16x2 and external thread of m20x2.

I think it is this one:

https://www.polyperformance.com/susp...-tube-adapters
Old 01-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #7543
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Jay is 100% on the pbm eccentric rack bushing are complete shit. 1 track day completely trashed a brand new remaned rack. I have gk tech now and the tolerance on them seem way better. Rack is not just moving left to right just like jay said. Time will tell. Next time I'm getting fraction motor sports subfame. Just was not in the budget at the time
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #7544
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anybody running the Gktech grip knuckles yet?

I was looking at them the other day and I'd love to have the geometry correction they offer. I have no use for angle mods for what I do with my car. I can't imagine there are any downsides to these. Figured I'd ask because I couldn't find any reviews on them.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #7545
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
New improved version from Dec 2017 - All the usual brake calipers should now fit correctly including internal drum handbrake mechanisms!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #7546
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Added sway bar options to the end of the steering angle post, with more pics coming later today.

Also, if anyone has the lengths for Z32 and Z33 tie rods, I'd like to add those to the list on post two.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #7547
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Wisefab at it again.

https://youtu.be/m8IRrcOTFgY

Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #7548
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Great now I want that and get rid of my current lock kit that I just finished piecing together...
Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #7549
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Great now I want that and get rid of my current lock kit that I just finished piecing together...
Right? I'm furiously adding up the cost of my current planned kit hahaha.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #7550
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
do you guys not just cut and shut the OEM subframes to stop the rack going over centre?
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #7551
RedSled
Leaky Injector

RedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-known
got an s13 subframe with spl solid bushings ,what can be done to increase traction ,using the car for drag racing so just need as much traction as possible ,will tilting the subframe be effective ,anyone with actual experience doing so ,and what other mods can i do other than using an s14/15 subframe ,is there a better solution or upgrade i can do to my current suspension
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 AM   #7552
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
do you guys not just cut and shut the OEM subframes to stop the rack going over centre?
Yes, plenty of people do. I still plan on using a 350Z steering rack moved forward on the subframe. I'm also not concerned with being FD legal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
got an s13 subframe with spl solid bushings ,what can be done to increase traction ,using the car for drag racing so just need as much traction as possible ,will tilting the subframe be effective ,anyone with actual experience doing so ,and what other mods can i do other than using an s14/15 subframe ,is there a better solution or upgrade i can do to my current suspension
Z32 guys have been tilting the subframe forever, but there's a high-seven second S13 that runs the stock subframe in the stock position. Probably has to do more with ride height and tires. Are you running slicks, or are we talking DOT tires here? That makes a big difference in launch.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #7553
Ruff Ryder 6
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
Ruff Ryder 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Anybody running the Gktech grip knuckles yet?

I was looking at them the other day and I'd love to have the geometry correction they offer. I have no use for angle mods for what I do with my car. I can't imagine there are any downsides to these. Figured I'd ask because I couldn't find any reviews on them.
Any answers to this question? I've really only found a couple pictures of them on people's cars. I have the V1 modular knuckle now. My biggest problem is the actual drop on them. With my coilovers (KW clubsport) I have the coilover at the tallest setting and the car is still pretty low. I'd like to actually go back up just a hair. I tried to email GKTech to see about the spindle relation to stock. It says the ball joint height is lowered, and really that's all I want. I need to retain the wheel speed sensors. Any help here?
Ruff Ryder 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #7554
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder 6 View Post
Any answers to this question? I've really only found a couple pictures of them on people's cars. I have the V1 modular knuckle now. My biggest problem is the actual drop on them. With my coilovers (KW clubsport) I have the coilover at the tallest setting and the car is still pretty low. I'd like to actually go back up just a hair. I tried to email GKTech to see about the spindle relation to stock. It says the ball joint height is lowered, and really that's all I want. I need to retain the wheel speed sensors. Any help here?
Not a great deal of people are running the grip knuckles as yet. They're not as popular as the drift related knuckles.

An easy solution is to run a spacer at the top of the strut.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by you trying to email us?

The grip knuckles are the same as the billet knuckles in the sense that the height has not been increased. Essentially the spindle has been raised but everything else remains.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #7555
Ruff Ryder 6
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
Ruff Ryder 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If the spindle height is in the same location as stock then I’m in.
I tried using the online form from the website to submit my question.
Ruff Ryder 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #7556
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder 6 View Post
If the spindle height is in the same location as stock then I’m in.
I tried using the online form from the website to submit my question.
The spindle is raised.

That's odd. We've been receiving other messages via the website fine. Sorry about that.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #7557
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
I spoke with GKtech via FB messenger around when I posted that, I'll be placing my order likely this week.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #7558
PatPs13
Leaky Injector

PatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yes, plenty of people do. I still plan on using a 350Z steering rack moved forward on the subframe. I'm also not concerned with being FD legal though.
What is the advantage of using the 350z steering rack? Is it wider?
PatPs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #7559
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I believe it’s actually narrower, and less travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #7560
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I spoke with GKtech via FB messenger around when I posted that, I'll be placing my order likely this week.
Placed my order for grip knuckles this morning. Excited to get them

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote