Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #121
shawn1331
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
shawn1331 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
man the build looks sweet! excellent work.

For drifting, this is goinng to go against everything you've ever learned about driving but you want to let go of the steering wheel more, basically ply catch and release with it, let it do it's thing the car will steer itself almost.

Also you dont really want to stay hammered on the throttle as you'll spin out, if you already have a lot of angle going start feathering the throttle and it'll come back nearly straight then you can hammer it to get more angle. also throwing the steering wheel into the drift when you hammer it with low power helps

Hope i can help you have fun and learn a bit!
shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #122
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Jissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
VQ35HR S13 Sil-Coupe Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
man the build looks sweet! excellent work.

For drifting, this is goinng to go against everything you've ever learned about driving but you want to let go of the steering wheel more, basically ply catch and release with it, let it do it's thing the car will steer itself almost.

Also you dont really want to stay hammered on the throttle as you'll spin out, if you already have a lot of angle going start feathering the throttle and it'll come back nearly straight then you can hammer it to get more angle. also throwing the steering wheel into the drift when you hammer it with low power helps

Hope i can help you have fun and learn a bit!

Thanks man, glad you enjoy the thread.

As for drifting, I've only got two events under my belt and I've just started to see the difference between drifting with the throttle ( loose steering ), and mash throttle ( muscling the car around with steering ). I'm also finally getting the hang of the feint and clutch-kick, and when to use the E-brake. The second event I did completely without power steering and then it rained. Although it sucked, it showed me an exaggerated example of how throttle modulation can keep everything sideways. Also the lack of power steering helped me feel what the car was doing and I panic-steered less, letting the wheels flick during transitions (so much that I smashed my thumb on the steering wheel spoke).

The tragic part is there is little proof that I progressed at all since I misplaced my GoPro and have no video from last Sunday! I'm hoping that I'll have more experience by next event and it'll show in the video.

Another issue I'm having is that at full lock, my wheel is rubbing on the frame and locking the steering in that direction. I had many really nice drifts that were ruined because I hit full lock and the wheel wanted to roll under the chassis. At that point there's nothing I can do, especially without power steering, but come to a sliding stop.
-_-

I'm hoping I can resolve this by extending my LCA's.

VQ Build Insta
Jissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #123
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Sounds like you were getting bind, not your wheel getting stuck against the frame. Do you have eccentric rack bushings or anything moving your rack forward to prevent bind?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #124
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Sounds like you were getting bind, not your wheel getting stuck against the frame. Do you have eccentric rack bushings or anything moving your rack forward to prevent bind?

My steering rack is rotated so that the input shaft clears my starter. Due to this I can't use eccentric rack bushings because the driver side will actually move the rack upwards.

Anyway, I'll definitely throw the drift wheelset on and check my clearances! Bind would explain the wheel getting locked in place when hitting full lock? I do plan to extend my LCA's and shorten my knuckle arms to the tie rods regardless. If I actually am rubbing on the tie rods before the hitting the frame I'll have to mod my subframe to move the rack forward and look a little harder at drop knuckles up front. My tie rods are at a gnarly angle already; like a 15° angle from rack to knuckle.

Thx for the input!

VQ Build Insta
Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #125
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Many tires have died since the last update.

UPS guy said he thought they only drifted in movies.

I've since sorted my bind issue by extending the lower control arms 25mm and putting the smaller wheel/tire package up front when I feel like drifting. GKTech offset rack spacers, SPL caster arms, Powered by Max knuckles, basically throwing parts at the car. I read somewhere that you need a ton of aftermarket parts and Shitloads 'O Horsepower to drift... so I've been chasing that lately.

Extended LCA's

Did some frame work. My frame rail rad bar was barely connected to the car. We welded it back on and the steering was noticeably stiffer.

I made a bracket adapter for the Z wiper motor. I've always driven in the rain, only now I can see shit.

A friend called with clutch problems in his Z33, basically a bad internal slave. A week later my internal slave went bad. We pulled both trans and replaced the slaves with the ZSpeed HD internal slaves (Corvette slaves with adapter plates and custom hoses). We also opted for the Wilwood masters.

My OEM Z33 (top) dual mass clutch, pressure plate, and dual mass flywheel, vs Exedy (bottom). Saved about 9lbs if I remember correctly, but the shifting isn't near as smooth. Oh well, racecer.

CD009s with ZSpeed HD Internal Slaves

Cars and Coffee

KSport EBrake should be going in soon, minus the infamously leaky master cylinder replaced with a Wilwood dealio and remote reservoir hose bung.

I really need to rework my exhaust. It tends to melt my shoes when driven hard.

In other news I got to work on my favorite Corolla again, throw baller parts on a Z33, got the ECU back in for my brother's build, learned a lot about Miatas, and gutted the spare shell.

Drift events were on Oct 26 and Nov 1. October event was at No Problem Raceway with probably the roughest track surface known to man.

For the Nov 1 event we were asked to take part in a sort of family day for a few industrial companies that rented out Nola Motorsports Park for their employees. They had autocross, karting, spacewalks, amazing catering, ride-alongs in the track prepared cars, and ride-alongs in the drift cars. I made an edit of the GoPro footage from those two events. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZ9gN6-cOk
Raw link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZ9gN6-cOk

The Sil-coupes of NODRFT. VQ35HR, 1JZ, & RB20DET respectively.

And more drift pics because why not.

Oh I tried to autocross on my Hoosiers. Apparently they need heat or some shit. Drifted all five runs. Not impressed. 9th out of 65 drivers, raw time. A friend with a Genesis and SSR wheels lost to an HHR. I lost to Fernando and his supercharged Honda Fit. He rode with me on my fifth run and said he was truly scared the entire time.

NODRFT End of the Year Bash is Dec 27 & 28. I'll be there the 28. I think you should go.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1504633743128619/

VQ Build Insta

Last edited by Jissan; 11-24-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #126
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Dude, awesome update! Looks like you're enjoying the hell out of the car. That's great. The car looks seriously bad ass on the RPF1's.

Question: why does your trans have an internal slave? My CD001 has an external.

p.s. Japanese Kit Kat's are the SHIT!
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #127
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Love what you did with the build, I just read the whole build!

do you always need gas or did you never get the fuel gauge to work right?

And lastly, I spend most my Internet time on HIDPLANET and have some some retros, currently with some Ls460s. And I have to say your output is simply not acceptable lol you killed the engine swap with abs and the wiring and all that but you left both projectors crooked? Your better then that haha
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #128
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Dude, awesome update! Looks like you're enjoying the hell out of the car. That's great. The car looks seriously bad ass on the RPF1's.

Question: why does your trans have an internal slave? My CD001 has an external.

p.s. Japanese Kit Kat's are the SHIT!
Thanks man, and I LOVE the car on the RPF1s.

As for the internal slave, the CD009 (HR, 2007?) is the model that they started using internal slaves. I've heard that there are some CD009 that actually have externals but I've never seen one. Z1 sells a kit that rigs up some jank-looking-but-still-external slave but I opted for the Corvette one.

Green Tea Kit Kat ruined all other Kit Kat for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Love what you did with the build, I just read the whole build!

do you always need gas or did you never get the fuel gauge to work right?

And lastly, I spend most my Internet time on HIDPLANET and have some some retros, currently with some Ls460s. And I have to say your output is simply not acceptable lol you killed the engine swap with abs and the wiring and all that but you left both projectors crooked? Your better then that haha
Awesome man, glad you like the thread! Sadly I still haven't hooked up the fuel gauge. I just reset the odometer and 200 miles is the distance I can go and still hammer down without fuel starvation on accelleration or cornering.

As for the TSX HID setup, my crooked projection is from my actual front end being crooked LMAO!!! Neighbor drove my car into a mailbox, a huge mailbox, and I haven't fixed the points where the Silvia headlight housings mount to the fenders. I believe I've straightened her face a while back and the projection was nice and even. And I love them. They're brighter than my high beams and light years ahead of the OEM Silvia H1 projectors. I'll try to remember to take a pic.

VQ Build Insta
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #129
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Oh yeah I'm sure they are better for sure! That's just a no go on the forums lol

but the fact that you did a retro is fact alone that you care for a fully rounded car. I can't stand a fully "built" car with some ebay 4x6 with a plug and play. Smh
Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #130
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

the 2005/2006 CD009 has the external, i believe. its the VQ35DE/CD009 combination that has the external slave i think.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #131
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jissan View Post
Last event got wet. Was the first time I'd drifted in the wet on purpose. Yeah, I know, "What a douchenozzle!" Whatevs.

Sexy WRX in the background >_>
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #132
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco122 View Post
Sexy WRX in the background >_>

And he didn't drift it, SMH.

VQ Build Insta

Last edited by Jissan; 12-05-2014 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Tapatalk spammed my post.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #133
unwtdhero
BANNED

unwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-known
Looking good!
unwtdhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #134
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwtdhero View Post
Looking good!
Thanks! What's the status of your VQ car? You ready to throw down some Tennessee Tandem in 2015?

VQ Build Insta
Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #135
Jissan
Zilvia Member

This is the face of a throttle control circuit wiring gremlin.

VQ Build Insta
Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #136
future
Post Whore!

Good luck with that!

this is my favorite engine swap on this forum
Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #137
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Good luck with that!

this is my favorite engine swap on this forum
Thanks!

Hopefully I find the issue ASAP. Something is grounding while driving and I may have to start stripping back harnesses if I don't see it soon. Car is driveable for the first time in two weeks. Flywheel and throttle sensors replaced but had no effect on the random throttle circuit codes. Yanked the dash and all the wires and started bashing my head on the car. Now I'm here. Car still has panics and it feels like it's got an interrupt on the ignition, but it's only when going over bumps.

VQ Build Insta
Old 12-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #138
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

uhhhhhh

ew
Old 12-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #139
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Arrogance ENGAGE_

http://instagram.com/p/wzZKC4PQJM/

VQ Build Insta

Last edited by Jissan; 12-20-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #140
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

just saw that last update post. that's awesome, man.

you ever figure out the throttle power issue?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #141
Hoonigan19
Leaky Injector

Hoonigan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome build man!! that kid's face was like..... what is this intense feeling ?
Hoonigan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #142
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
sweet as fuck build!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #143
unwtdhero
BANNED

unwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-known
Jason, redoing my gas pedal..... Did you bend the arm? Or did you make a bracket to mount it further away from the firewall? Mine currently is 3/4 closer to me than my brake pedal.....lol past that just gotta get exhaust....and order a new over fender......
Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #144
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

just bend the arm. way easier since the mount for the pedal already fits the bolt pattern perfectly.

edit: i need to get off my ass and post up a build thread for my vq s14.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #145
unwtdhero
BANNED

I will do that.... also i attempted to create a build thread for mine....mods were being dbags.... Jason have you installed the rear drop knucks yet?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #146
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
i think you'd be hard pressed to find an 18x10.5 under 20lbs.
The wedsport tc105n's I have FS are.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #147
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Sorry for the delayed response, I've fallen behind on forum notifications (email)!

Quote:
just saw that last update post. that's awesome, man.

you ever figure out the throttle power issue?
I did! The driver firewall wheel well grommet had gotten unseated and water coming off the tire was shooting directly into the wiring clusterfuck I have shoved in the kick panel there. I put a shop light in the footwell overnight and baked the electronics dry, and then put the grommet back and sealed it up tight like. No problems since, but shit got really annoying for a while there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
sweet as fuck build!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan19 View Post
awesome build man!! that kid's face was like..... what is this intense feeling ?
Hahaha, thanks! And yeah that kid was freaking out on the inside. Sweet build supersayianjim, but sorry to see you lost the coupe in the wreck.

Quote:
Jason, redoing my gas pedal..... Did you bend the arm? Or did you make a bracket to mount it further away from the firewall? Mine currently is 3/4 closer to me than my brake pedal.....lol past that just gotta get exhaust....and order a new over fender......
Quote:
just bend the arm. way easier since the mount for the pedal already fits the bolt pattern perfectly.

edit: i need to get off my ass and post up a build thread for my vq s14.
Yeah man I bent the crap out of the pedal, and you both need build threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
The wedsport tc105n's I have FS are.
wegotabadassoverhere.jpg

So remember the wrecked Z06 project?

It got put on a frame machine, straightened out (twice, damn aluminum), and the tub got glued on with fancy Corvette panel bond.

Body panels went on, wiring run, rear latch holes in tub redrilled for the pull-down latch vs the- never mind. Shit went back together.

It went in for an alignment only to discover the rear passenger hub was bent and needed to be replaced.

and now it’s a daily.

We did exhaust on the DE hatch. V-band header to test pipes with one piece test and Y-pipe, to a resonated mid-pipe and DC Sports dual outlet muffler.

I decided to cut 50mm out of my aftermarket sway bar for more angle.

Tubbed my car.

We started to push the limits of our Harbor Freight TIG welder.

Wiring things happening for the DE hatch. Hoping this is running by April.

We bought a welding machine that can do aluminum.

Truck wasn’t happy about the trip. UPS used a forklift to put it in the truck. I split my undies pulling it off the truck.

A car got dropped off for tubs, exhaust, and some other odds and ends. New activities for the welding machine!

This used to be a Circuit Sports overflow tank, but it didn’t fit with my tubs. Brother decides it needs to be cut up and experimented on.

We didn’t have a gasket. Don’t judge me.

I made a mistake and went fast; my fender wasn’t happy (aerodynamics yo).

Bent half-ass back into shape… carbon flare all jacked up.

Went drifting.

EYB 2014 was a two day event. I couldn’t make the first day but it rained most of the time. The second day was clear and had everyone really feeling good. It ended in an impromptu competition that I decided to compete in.

I qualified and got paired up with my friend Jeff in his blue type-X’ish SR S13 hatch. I led the first run and absolutely left him, but the next run I was really struggling to drift slow, constantly changing distance and angle, and never really tucking in good. A one-more-time was called and I led first again. Jeff got in on my line, shaved a bit of angle to keep up, and pulled a killer follow run leaving me no choice but to go ham on the follow. We launched and I was on his line and had a respectable distance up until the last sweeper when I got carried away and scrubbed my passenger door on his bumper. I made contact and therefore lost, but we both were stoked with the runs and never-lift jokes are still circulating. (note the position of the rear wheel in the well for later reference)

All in, killer event.

Car was looking pretty rough at this point, and it wasn’t just skin deep. Tires had horrible wear from bad rear LCA bushings, letting caster do crazy things as mentioned in the earlier pic.

Custom S13 > Z33 diff subframe had nearly cracked in half.

Lost my driver side corner driving around one night (it was already broken and sagging as evidenced in several pics). This really sucked.

No better time than immediately after an event to tear the car down and throw on a bunch of work and upgrades. Work list as follows:
  • ABS manifold out
  • Brake lines Tee’d for primary and secondary
  • Wildwood master hydro mounted and handle extended
  • Run hydro lines to dedicated calipers
  • Install Voodoo13 front caster arms
  • Install rear Voodoo13 traction arms
  • Swap 3.54 Z33 VLSD with 3.3 auto Z33 VLSD
  • Rear LCA Energy Suspension bushings
  • Moog rear ball joints
  • Install GKTech rear dual caliper drop knuckles
  • STI Brembo calipers for driving brakes, Z32 for the hydro
  • Repair subframe
  • Fix exhaust leaks from low hanging flanges
  • Change mid-pipe flange angle for clearance
  • Drool over Ti lug nuts from GKTech
  • Order said lug nuts
  • Oil Change
  • Set rough ride height
  • Notch front LCA’s for inner wheel clearance
  • Pull all camber from camber plates
  • Replace camber in slotted top holes in coilover
  • Align car
  • Aero mods…

Here we go. *montage music*

The week before the event I had to do a bunch of repairs on the truck and finish the SR hatch. I ended up finishing the truck on a friday and shipping off the hatch at noon on the Saturday before an event.

I spent 3 hours on a quest to mount tires on spares and started wrenching on my car solo, busting ass in the shop, knocking out the last items on my work list around 5:30am Sunday morning. I showered, grabbed an hour of sleep, got up, packed the truck, and headed to the track.

VQ Build Insta
Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #148
Jissan
Zilvia Member

It was an epic LUCKY day. The weather forecast called for cold and rainy all day, but the drive down was glorious. The moment I pull into the track however, my brake pedal hits the floor and I yank hydro to avoid crashing, my aero package literally 3 hours old. SURPRISE brake leak YAY. *hmmm, maybe it’ll fix itself*

Tech slaps a sticker on my windshield LOL, and I roll onto the pad for the parade lap, solely using the hydro for braking. I got some funny looks pulling out of grid before the first run but the leak had to be addressed. The leak ended up being the passenger side firewall chassis rail tee, right next to my header FML. Flare nuts getting tightened with hilarious blasphemy of tool usage and someone walks up with the old, “everything ok?” Yeah asshat, everything’s rainbowtastic, I’m just paying these event people because I like burning my knuckles in public… but I instead give a friendly wistful reply, even going as far as to point out my brake reservoir is most probably empty. He says, “Oh, well I’ve got some brake fluid in my truck” and proceeds to win my heart with a bottle of DOT3 paint destroyer.

Game on.

This 1JZ single turbo SC300 piloted by Ryan Lemons was glued to my ass most of the day, the taller gears really coming in handy. At one point a clipping cone was hit and dismembered, and the base was laying in the middle of the track, which I drifted right over, nearly taking the face off Ryan’s passenger.

Seriously, watch this: https://instagram.com/p/zdcct3mGAd/

On the way home I hear and feel something hit and bang around under the car, followed by a faint oil stink. My brother texts asking if the smell is me. He gets in front and confirms that it’s me. We pull into a weigh station and the car is pouring oil from THE DAMN DRAIN HOLE. We take a joy ride for a plug and oil at AutoZone and in 30 minutes i’m back in the road, having avoided a motor destroying catastrophe. The oil pressure never went below 40psi, and it must have been two miles of driving on a missing drain plug. Epic and lucky.

The pic below is my review of the GKTech rear knuckles. Alignment spec'ed at zero rear camber and toe, car had tons of grip and sooo consistent.

Car is a blast to drive with the badass alignment, and for the first time I’m proud of the LOOK of the car.

Lastly, if I can put the busted KA back together with a new timing guide, I’ll have a legit daily.

VQ Build Insta
Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #149
unwtdhero
BANNED

Jason the ka weighs too much lol, VQ that too! Haha..
Old 03-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #150
Jissan
Zilvia Member

VQ35HR S13 Sil-Coupe Build

Quote:
Jason the ka weighs too much lol, VQ that too! Haha..

VQ in an S14 Kouki? Sounds like a lot of work. May have to do a 37VHR to make it worth my time... [emoji57]

VQ Build Insta